Audiophiles get in here - I need new headphones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned a set of these since 1993. I take these to our annual local headphone meet where I get to compare them with about 60 to 100 different pairs of headphones going up to $3,000 a pair. I usually always walk out with a smile and knowing they still hold their own to all headphones out there, but they are more money than the ones I posted earlier:
https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-990-pro.html

Last edited:
A million years ago I had Stax electrostatics and loved them, I think they're still around but megabucks.

The big decision is in-ear or over-the ear. I own both and to me the sense of envelopment is far more real with over-the-ear. I own Sennheiser HD600's and would only trade them for a better Sennheiser. For in ear I have Etymotic ER4XR and love them but you just don't 'feel' it the same with in ear monitors.

A million years ago I had Stax electrostatics and loved them, I think they're still around but megabucks.

The big decision is in-ear or over-the ear. I own both and to me the sense of envelopment is far more real with over-the-ear. I own Sennheiser HD600's and would only trade them for a better Sennheiser. For in ear I have Etymotic ER4XR and love them but you just don't 'feel' it the same with in ear monitors.
Over-the ear for sure, thank you sir.

Can't go wrong with the Sennheiser HD600. Still being made after many years. Quite neutral and comfortable. I think you can find them for about $300. I haven't tried the HD650 (under $400), which are supposed to have more low end. Or the newer HD6XX (around $200)... some reviews are mixed.

I need new headphones purely for entertainment at home. Price point flexible, willing to spend on quality.

What would you recommend? @cvanc, @alexzogh @Hobie1dog for visibility. :)

Justin...

Didn't know this was on your radar - I would have let you audition some of my headphones... it's a bit of an obsession for me....

headphones1.jpgheadphones2.jpg

Thanks all for the feedback, once I'm back in town I'll choose a winner and place an order.

Best,

just had a thought... Not sure how you feel about purchasing used, but I want to believe that as a general rule audiophiles tend to treat their gear with care.

You may want to peruse (after you've narrowed down your choices) Audiogon, the online audiophile used gear marketplace: https://www.audiogon.com/listings?category=headphones

I agree with the votes for HiFiMan. I own a pair of the HE-400se headphones. Planar magnetic (I have a preference for planar magnetic transducers!), open back design. Very natural sound and not very expensive. If I was to upgrade, it'd probably be to the Sundaras, also by HiFiMan.

Headphone amp -- now there's a GREAT use for a tube amp....
Been toying with the idea myself.

I did find a tube amp for my Stax Electrostatics -- might give that a try.
I love my Stax - nothing like them - but awkward to drive, expensive and bulky - not a general recommended item for "normal" use. They truly are "EAR SPEAKERS."

After working with audio and video editors for nearly 30 years, the one thing I've discovered about headphones – they are extremely personal. So much of the wearer's head and ear shape, comfort level with weight, music tastes, hearing range, headphone amp, etc., etc., etc., go into what's the 'best' set of headphones, I think it is an impossible task to choose a set of headphones without personally trying them and listening to your favorite audio evaluation tracks.

I have a large head and can tolerate fairly heavy headphones for long periods. What might be the best headphones for me, many others might find cumbersome and too heavy. Likewise, when editors would have me try out their headphones, they often did not really fit my head that well or cover my ears properly. So much of a great set of headphones for a particular listener is as much fit and comfort as it is sound – if you can't stand wearing them very long, it does not matter how well they reproduce music.

The other issue I ran into was they always wanted me to listen to their evaluation tracks to test the phones, because to them, that was their gold standard. But if I tried some of my music and they didn't seem to fare as well, they'd blame it on my music. Exactly. No one set of headphones can reproduce all types of music equally well. It didn't matter how great their music sounded, it mattered how my music sounded.

It's all in the eye, or rather, the ear of the beholder.

Tony

Here's a great example of what I mean, from reviews of Audeze MM-500 headphones and Sennheiser HD800s:

"Another potential problem is that, as much as I enjoy using MM-500, the comfort is known to be hit-or-miss for many people due to the fact that it has a significantly tight clamp force. As someone who truly believes comfort is an under-represented metric in our community discourse, I feel it’s crucial to mention this."

and

"Its (Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 800S) massively roomy earcups basically eliminate the problem of pinna (outer-ear) deformation, which can also change the sound dramatically from person-to-person."

After working with audio and video editors for nearly 30 years, the one thing I've discovered about headphones – they are extremely personal. So much of the wearer's head and ear shape, comfort level with weight, music tastes, hearing range, headphone amp, etc., etc., etc., go into what's the 'best' set of headphones, I think it is an impossible task to choose a set of headphones without personally trying them and listening to your favorite audio evaluation tracks.

I have a large head and can tolerate fairly heavy headphones for long periods. What might be the best headphones for me, many others might find cumbersome and too heavy. Likewise, when editors would have me try out their headphones, they often did not really fit my head that well or cover my ears properly. So much of a great set of headphones for a particular listener is as much fit and comfort as it is sound – if you can't stand wearing them very long, it does not matter how well they reproduce music.

"Another potential problem is that, as much as I enjoy using MM-500, the comfort is known to be hit-or-miss for many people due to the fact that it has a significantly tight clamp force. As someone who truly believes comfort is an under-represented metric in our community discourse, I feel it’s crucial to mention this."
Excellent post :goodjob: :bravo: I'm wearing my HiFi Man headphones now, VERY comfortable cushions. I've owned some Magneplanar Tympani 4a,and 3.7 model speakers and I love the planar design of these phones. Listen to how clean the piano sounds and how good the bass line is on this disc, then imagine it sounding incredible on your new headphones. Start at 6:30

Last edited:
Most of the stuff I play music on today lacks a phone jack
And for most people, the few things that do have a jack can't drive GOOD headphones.
Most people are happy [settle] with what they get from their cell's .. an OK camera, OK streaming audio and marginal radios.
REAL headphones are aren't for them....
Today, high-end headphones have a balanced connection that can't even plug into the old stereo jacks if they had them.

And for most people, the few things that do have a jack can't drive GOOD headphones.
Most people are happy [settle] with what they get from their cell's .. an OK camera, OK streaming audio and marginal radios.
REAL headphones are aren't for them....
Today, high-end headphones have a balanced connection that can't even plug into the old stereo jacks if they had them.
Yes, the whole 'which headphone amp is the best' is Yet Another Argument, and has already been mentioned, don't even get started on tube amps vs solid state. Otherwise, we're looking at another glue thread!

One of the big problems with the death of retail shops is how hard it is now to try out a lot of high end equipment before buying it. I go to a big trade show every year (NAB in Las Vegas) where I have an opportunity to try out a lot of better audio gear, although most of it is designed more for mixing and monitoring than end-user listening. It can be a very interesting experience to stand around some of the high end gear and hear attendees get into arguments about this, that, and the other thing, regarding all kinds of esoteric features and measurements. Even input impedance arguments are a thing.

And then, high-end microphones – that's when the gloves really come off and it's every recording engineer for himself.

Tony

PS: And never admit to a lot of high end audiophiles you listen to music via your phone. You may be physically assaulted!

You may want to listen to the Grado GS 1000 headphones. Excellent design and sound.

The SPL line of head amps are also amazing balanced components.

Back