Apogee SV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Been thinking about getting this kit. I have (5) other kits that are new in the package that I could sell to get the money for it. I just thought it would be cool to work on it and have a 6 month project and no rush. Just enjoy the process and have one big build to focus on instead of having to worry about building half dozen other kits.

Or should I start with the S1B?

I vote that you get the Saturn V and do a detailed build thread here. I've built the Estes kit but I want to do another one someday and would love to see what that one has in it.

I vote that you get the Saturn V and do a detailed build thread here. I've built the Estes kit but I want to do another one someday and would love to see what that one has in it.

Maybe I will? I probably should start selling off the other kits I have, then it's a wash and won't cost that much out of pocket.

Been thinking about getting this kit. I have (5) other kits that are new in the package that I could sell to get the money for it. I just thought it would be cool to work on it and have a 6 month project and no rush. Just enjoy the process and have one big build to focus on instead of having to worry about building half dozen other kits.

Or should I start with the S1B?

The Apogee Saturn kits are exceptional, easily the most remarkable model rocket kits ever offered commercially. While expensive, they are worth the investment and will build up into stunning models given moderate skills and a bit of patience.

This may seem counterintuitive, but start with the Saturn V kit before tackling the 1B. Despite being smaller the Saturn 1B is a more complex build, so hone your skills on the Saturn V first.

James

The Apogee Saturn kits are exceptional, easily the most remarkable model rocket kits ever offered commercially. While expensive, they are worth the investment and will build up into stunning models given moderate skills and a bit of patience.

This may seem counterintuitive, but start with the Saturn V kit before tackling the 1B. Despite being smaller the Saturn 1B is a more complex build, so hone your skills on the Saturn V first.

James

James I agree with you. It's seems the S1B has those (8) that have to be pre painted, at least that's how most people do it before gluing them. James have you built the SV and if so what can you share about the build? Anything in particular to watch for. I always wondered about the CD instructions and how easy or hard they are to follow.

James have you built the SV and if so what can you share about the build? Anything in particular to watch for. I always wondered about the CD instructions and how easy or hard they are to follow.

I have built the Saturn V. If you are familiar with the Estes Saturn V kit, the parts breakdown, construction sequence, and assembly techniques found in the Apogee kit are practically identical, albeit on a slightly larger scale. The only place where the Apogee kit differs markedly from the smaller Estes predecessor is underneath the first stage fin shrouds, where a more robust support structure is called for.

The CD instructions were a delight to use, and from them I picked up techniques that have found their way into other projects. I wish more kits offered a similar approach to assembly instructions.

James

Latest posts

Back