Anyone used the Fluctus?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim cubbedge

Staff member
Global Mod
Reaction score
I saw that Wildman has this new GPS/flight computer for sale these days, the Silicdyne Fluctus. Anyone here used it yet or any reviews. I never heard of it before his black Saturday sale.

I'm curious about this as well. I was tempted to purchase (it's ridiculously inexpensive for all the features), but didn't have time to research it. Guess I'd rather not be the canary.

I saw this too! It looks really interesting, i like the servo outputs. It would be neat if instead of configuring a rule to "fire a pyro output" you could configure the rule to run a script that then has access to the servo outputs and sensors. This way you could use this as a platform to develop thrust vector control or canard control systems. You could configure a rule that triggers on ignition and starts the script. For example, @JimJarvis50 "I could just use a little guidance" thread could use this as a programming platform for the canard actuators. I think Ardupilot has this capability and uses the Lua scripting language.

I see on the Fluctus site comparison, price for the Fluctus is US$200 in comparison to the $400 approx for others compared..... On the Wildman site the price of Fluctus becomes magically $400........

I see on the Fluctus site comparison, price for the Fluctus is US$200 in comparison to the $400 approx for others compared..... On the Wildman site the price of Fluctus becomes magically $400........
A few weeks ago His website had $180 on it .but that was the beta units .
We have been work out the pricing over the past coupler weeks. When i bought mine it cost me 221.39 USD
We now have it set at $299.99 USD .
At that Price its still a the best deal out there.
It's still new a little patience please.
Tim

I can only comment on what was actually listed on your site Tim. 399.99 is what was listed. It's now 299.99. Is that a special? Or will that be the price?
1701026310371.png

The word "fluctus" actually exists.
  • fluctus : (plural fluctus or flucti) (astronomy, geology) An area covered by outflow from a volcano.
  • Fluctus : From the Latin fluctus, which means wave, billow.

The word "fluctus" actually exists.
  • fluctus : (plural fluctus or flucti) (astronomy, geology) An area covered by outflow from a volcano.
  • Fluctus : From the Latin fluctus, which means wave, billow.

Yeah, I saw those defs in a Google search. However, "fluctus" is not found in Merriam-Webster nor dictionary.com. :questions:

Yeah, I saw those defs in a Google search. However, "fluctus" is not found in Merriam-Webster nor dictionary.com. :questions:

You have to go to the Latin and French dictionaries. It is not an English word, and it's not a common word.

Hey, I am the developper of this flight computer.
For context, its name "Fluctus" actually comes from the Latin translation of "wave" (as one of its key features is its radio waves communication). 🙂

Last edited:
Having flown one 6 times, I can only recommend it ! Full of interesting features, very capable sensors-wise, good tracking, easy fit in a 29mm airframe, beautiful UI, and extensive datasheet. Last but not least, at 300€ it's a very strong competitor to other AIM Xtra, telemega and such GPS/flight computer.

Having flown one 6 times, I can only recommend it ! Full of interesting features, very capable sensors-wise, good tracking, easy fit in a 29mm airframe, beautiful UI, and extensive datasheet. Last but not least, at 300€ it's a very strong competitor to other AIM Xtra, telemega and such GPS/flight computer.
And much more expensive than Eggtimer and Feather options - so may be difference in perspective US vs Europe/outside US

Oh and lacks mobile support. :)

All I want to know about the Fluctus, is... does it have a capacitor?
And does that require 21.2 Gigawatts?

It does not have a capacitor and it will consumes about 400mW at maximum.

And much more expensive than Eggtimer and Feather options - so may be difference in perspective US vs Europe/outside US

I would like to add that the "same" eggtimer solution costs around 160USD but has far fewer features and capabilities.
Concerning featherweight, the blue raven alone costs 180$ and their tracking system 360$. If you add the two together, it comes to $540.*

*also, just to be clear, my solution doesn't necessarly pretend to compete with a blue raven + featherweight tracker duo for nearly half the price, and I know it has its drawbacks.

Last edited:

Your complaint about price is way off the mark. Similar capability from Feather requires the Blue Raven AND the Tracker, for a tidy sum of $540. Any price comparsion to Egg is pointless, since it comes unassembled.

I kid about the name, but the Fluctus looks great for $300 at Wildman. I am looking forward to the user experiences.

Your complaint about price is way off the mark. Similar capability from Feather requires the Blue Raven AND the Tracker, for a tidy sum of $540. Any price comparsion to Egg is pointless, since it comes unassembled.

I kid about the name, but the Fluctus looks great for $300 at Wildman. I am looking forward to the user experiences.
Yeah I subtract the bit about Featherweight... I didn't go look again, and I thought it was bit cheaper per each than it currently is.

Back