HED- Main Charge(s)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW562

Reaction score
Getting close to finalizing my first HED, a WM Punisher 3 that I snagged during Wildman's super Saturday sale.

By a show of hands, who has had success with traditional charge wells mounted to the upper bulk plate, and who prefers running the charge at the tip of the nosecone with either a centrifuge tube or the finger tip trick? I am a fan of redundancy, so I will have two regardless. Should I do one of each? and if so which one should be primary and which should be back up?

I know @UPscaler addressed it in one of his videos, that his success rate went up when he moved the charge to the tip of the nosecone.

Any and all help is appreciated

Common sense tells us that pushing the laundry out of the nose cone will always have a greater chance of success than pushing the laundry into the wedge of the nose cone. Doesn't mean pushing it in and then letting the relative inertia of the cone and airframe separating pull it back out can't or won't work, but the odds are worse.

Getting close to finalizing my first HED, a WM Punisher 3 that I snagged during Wildman's super Saturday sale.

By a show of hands, who has had success with traditional charge wells mounted to the upper bulk plate, and who prefers running the charge at the tip of the nosecone with either a centrifuge tube or the finger tip trick? I am a fan of redundancy, so I will have two regardless. Should I do one of each? and if so which one should be primary and which should be back up?

I know @UPscaler addressed it in one of his videos, that his success rate went up when he moved the charge to the tip of the nosecone.

Any and all help is appreciated
I've done 54mm, 75mm, 98mm, 5", and 5.5" HED all with charges directly on the bulkplates. Key to success is ground testing.

Based on my experience, there isn't a significant difference in how energetic the deployment is.

However, i've always ran charges in the nosecone tip to avoid getting the bulkhead covered in BP residue.

Back