Anyone use DirectWay?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better off getting Cable or DSL .
I've had Cable for 5 years or so now with no troubles to think of..

JD

Originally posted by JDcluster
Better off getting Cable or DSL .
I've had Cable for 5 years or so now with no troubles to think of..
JD

Can't do either...not available.

My parents got it because cable/DSL wasn't avalible to them, I've used it plenty and it sucks...

Here's some info.

https://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2005/10/10/01425/269

I checked into it when it first became available, wouldn't work with a mac. I checked back to the manf of the equipement that they were suppling and the manf had macs and linux listed as being supported. Just goes to show that even then they were not interested in supporting their customers.

We looked at it last year, and when we saw the cost involved, quickly decided to wait for our local phone company to offer DSL in our area (got it 2 weeks ago). When we talked to them, we had two options. 1. Pay something like 500 dollars, and then about 50 per month, on a contract. 2. Pay 100 dollars, then another 100 a month for a year or so, then 50 per month on a contract. The prices may have changed since then. I work with someone who has it, and he said if he had DSL, or cable as a choice, he would have taken that instead. He's not happy with it at all.

Originally posted by Stormbringer
Here's some info.

https://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2005/10/10/01425/269

I checked into it when it first became available, wouldn't work with a mac. I checked back to the manf of the equipement that they were suppling and the manf had macs and linux listed as being supported. Just goes to show that even then they were not interested in supporting their customers.

i know a couple of people who use it with macs. it may not be as fast as dsl but it beats a dial up and works almost anywhere, including big empty fields in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of campers parked for the weekend.

Originally posted by flying_silverad
If so, how do you like it?

Joe from Rocket Hunter brought his to black rock for Balls and XPRS. he shared it with the others via 802.11.

Way to go Joe !

It had "OK" downloading speed. I was two over from Joe and it worked from my motor home.

However, it only got about 70K uplink at the desert, and that was not enough for Voice Over IP to work ok both ways.

Joe was very nice and let people make phone calls.

but when the slow uplink, I was not heard very well, But I heard my called party great.

So, I'd say, "OK" for downloading, but not for uploading or VOIP.

When stuck with no other choice, I'd buy the hardware and pay the smaller fee. And you can take it with you.

I've read so many horror stories about poor customer service, so-so performance etc, I'm having a hard time with this big step. If only I could get a straight answer from Verizon as to when DSL will make it to our town. My luck is I go out and buy this thing, and POOF....DSL shows up.

The installer is a person my wife knows (does all the installs of Direct TV and data uplink stuff at her restaurant) and I'm hoping that I can talk him into a deal that if I don't like it, he'll take it back within 30-45 days or something similar.

I've been getting an average speed of 16,500bps and the line is pretty scratchy. I think most of the phone lines in this town must of been installed when Gen, Patton was a tank commander....if he was one.

Back