Anyone have any random nerdy facts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And also why we buy "Flaming Squirrel Sauce" to mix in with our bird feeders. The birds aren't bothered but the squirrels sure are. But you need to be careful. You do NOT want to get it on your finger and then rub your face or eyes... even after you wash your hands.

Ask me how I know.

Been there, done that.

View attachment 641225
That's cruel

Does anybody know? I've also heard that some towns in southwest Utah also got a lot of fallout dust.

I could find Frenchman's Flat on google maps, northwest of LV. The small towns of sw Utah are ENE of Frenchman's Flat, so it would depend on the direction of the prevailing winds. LV is certainly a lot closer.
In Utah they are called the down winders. Prevailing wind here is west to east. There are still lawsuits. The atmospheric testing caused an increase of cancer in Utah. About 8 or so years ago there was a planned very large explosion at the Test Site. Many many tons of ANFO. My wife doesn't remember the amount. She said it was compartmentalized. And I can't find it. It was supposed to simulate a nuclear bomb. The down winders stopped it because of the fear that the dust raised would blow their way. There are many areas that are no go sites because of the radiation in the dirt. There have been over 1,000 tests since 1951. The shots caused seismic events in Vegas. There was one test outside the Test Site. Maybe 100 mile north and east. It was a test of the nuclear warhead for a surface to air missile. A underground test. I have stood at ground zero there. Anybody can visit it if you know where to look. There is an old Atomic Energy Commission site near there. We have stayed there. It's mostly used by Special Forces now. When the bomb detonated it broke windows in Ely. About 100 miles away. If any of you get to Vegas go to The Atomic Testing Museum it's very interesting.

That's cruel
With us, the squirrels don't come much anymore. They're smart buggers, so it only takes once to keep them away for a good while. Keep using the stuff, the juice that Peartree showed or the coated seed we buy, for when they eventually try it again.

As for touching the sensitive areas, there are two ways to prevent the pain. The simplest is to wear disposable gloves while handling the stuff (or the peppers). The other is three steps:
  • Wash you hands thoroughly.
  • Rub you hands down with vegetable oil.
  • Wash your hands thoroughly.
At each step, use a nail brush. After all that you're mostly safe.

With us, the squirrels don't come much anymore. They're smart buggers, so it only takes once to keep them away for a good while. Keep using the stuff, the juice that Peartree showed or the coated seed we buy, for when they eventually try it again.
Exactly right. I only use it when the squirrels are eating more than the birds and I generally only need to use it once per summer and only in the feeders that aren't squirrel-proof.

But we also put out whole corn cobs in a squirrel feeder that they're welcome to eat.

Brewery: The Lost Abbey
ABV: 13.7%
Style: Belgian Quadrupel
Other Notes: Ale brewed with raisins, aged in bourbon barrels with cinnamon and chiles

Brewer Description: (from bottle) To this day, little Johnny B. Goode remains one of Sister Mary Hightower’s favorite pupils. A ray of light heaven sent she often declared. Unfortunately, she was now teaching his younger brother Damian and most assuredly was not his biggest fan. Hard to believe one mother could produce two children of such different temperaments, but God works in mysterious ways she reminded herself. Damian had been her biggest challenge this year. The kids didn’t like him. The parents didn’t trust him and most of all, there was something lurking behind those shifty beady eyes. His presence in the classroom always troubled her. She thought him evil but couldn’t prove it. She set out to test him. Damian took his turn at the chalkboard, and the impossible question was presented. What is the square root of 443556? As Damian finished writing the last 6 for his answer, he turned winked at her and returned to his seat. She finally had her answer. Sister Mary Hightower never returned to work…
1713541629815.png

Brewery: The Lost Abbey
ABV: 13.7%
Style: Belgian Quadrupel
Other Notes: Ale brewed with raisins, aged in bourbon barrels with cinnamon and chiles

Brewer Description: (from bottle) To this day, little Johnny B. Goode remains one of Sister Mary Hightower’s favorite pupils. A ray of light heaven sent she often declared. Unfortunately, she was now teaching his younger brother Damian and most assuredly was not his biggest fan. Hard to believe one mother could produce two children of such different temperaments, but God works in mysterious ways she reminded herself. Damian had been her biggest challenge this year. The kids didn’t like him. The parents didn’t trust him and most of all, there was something lurking behind those shifty beady eyes. His presence in the classroom always troubled her. She thought him evil but couldn’t prove it. She set out to test him. Damian took his turn at the chalkboard, and the impossible question was presented. What is the square root of 443556? As Damian finished writing the last 6 for his answer, he turned winked at her and returned to his seat. She finally had her answer. Sister Mary Hightower never returned to work…
View attachment 641424
Is this supposed to be in the "what are you drinking" thread?

Regardless, I miss Lost Abbey. That was some fine beer when I could get it.

Just learned: Chuck Berry only had one number 1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 in his whole career, and it was not Johnny B. Goode. (There were three number 1s on the R&B chart.) Was it Maybellene? Nope, number 5. School Days? Number 3. Sweet Little Sixteen? Number 2.

It was My Ding-a-ling, which I, for one, would never have guessed.

post random facts that you don't think many other people know
This is definitely nerdy and maybe random. I'm not sure how well known it is, though.

C-3PO's lower right leg is silver instead of gold.

Attachments

• 63a090948d2793b70ce8cf2a_-AzDH_Xeydxoy-DPwTBbt2fLLtflc39Q-Au9vtd3ja7cmvZMCT0D0vl1GHSLsO3Xm32Q1...png
    63a090948d2793b70ce8cf2a_-AzDH_Xeydxoy-DPwTBbt2fLLtflc39Q-Au9vtd3ja7cmvZMCT0D0vl1GHSLsO3Xm32Q1...png
    554 KB · Views: 0
Multiplying ones will always give you palindromic numbers.

View attachment 641712
It only works up to 111,111,111, and you can see why if you do the multiplication longhand. When you get up to ten 1's, when you do the addition to get the final answer you'll have one column add up to ten, forcing you to perform regrouping and ruining the palindrome. 1,111,111,111 squared is 1,234,567,900,987,654,321

Like jqavins said, it will work farther if you use hexadecimal. 1,111,111,111 x 1,111,111,111 will get you 1,234,567,89A,987,654,321; 11,111,111,111 x 11,111,111,111 will get you 123,456,789,ABA,987,654,321, and so on.

A Google is a named number and is 10^100 (1 followed by 100 zeros. A Googleplex is 10^google (1 followed by a Google zeros)

Interesting factoid: Googleplex cannot be written out in its entirety. Even if you made zeros small enough to fit in an atom, you’d run out of atoms before you ran out of zeros….

Interesting factoid: Googleplex cannot be written out in its entirety. Even if you made zeros small enough to fit in an atom, you’d run out of atoms before you ran out of zeros….
What if I used Qbits? That would quadruple my information storage capacity?

Back