Anyone Build The Launch Pad Rocket ALARM?(Modified)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! It is sunny and breezy outside today, so a little Paint could be done. I still have to do more sanding, but this coat of "Ultra Flat" Krylon Camo Spray gives better contrast. Also, I've used this Paint on my Guns and my Cannon. It is very wear resistant, and has good qualities. It dries fast and does'nt run or form Drips. Ofcourse I will have to paint it again after sanding, but this gives me a better Idea of where I'm at than that hideous Red.

Some of the "Rivets" have dimples in them. I intend to paint all the Rivets by hand with a Brush, so this won't be an issue.

You see there ,once you add some paint ,those rivets really stand out,don`t they ?

Looks good my friend.

Hell ,I even added real tiny,tiny screws to my TLP Harpoon for added detail.Yah..that was kinda stupid ,but it looked cool.

I don`t think I`ll do that again !!

I`ll try to find a picture of that one :facepalm:

Paul T

WOW.....

What the hell was i thinking there ?

That`s pretty funny you found that ,as I was not sure if i was having one of my "Timothy Leary" flashbacks for a moment. (yah....I did a little tune in ,tune out and crawl into the woodwork in my day ,but I was in university at the time......so i had to LOL)

....could you imagine me on a couple of hits of acid ,and doing a TLP kit ?????........yah.....neither can I LOL

Peace and flowers !

Paul t

You see there ,once you add some paint ,those rivets really stand out,don`t they ?

Looks good my friend.

Hell ,I even added real tiny,tiny screws to my TLP Harpoon for added detail.Yah..that was kinda stupid ,but it looked cool.

I don`t think I`ll do that again !!

I`ll try to find a picture of that one :facepalm:

Paul T

Thanks Paul. I was actually looking at some small Screws I had for an Airhog RC Helicopter today and wondering "What if?".There were only 8 of them so I decided not to bother trying anything. Had there have been a bunch of them....
I'm going to do Fin Gussets with Cardstock once I get the sloppy Fillets sanded down. I think I'll stick with the Glue Rivets for this build.
I just ordered the Gabriel III, and I want to do actual Screws on that. I totally want to get as much practice as possible doing this Detail Work, as it adds a whole new Dimension to what building a Rocket means to me. I don't think I'll ever be able to build a Rocket without Doohickys and Thingamabobs ever again! Thanks again Paul, and to other folks here that do Detail Work. You really are an inspiration. A lot of people here like to see Detail Work. Interestingly, it seems that not a lot of People are willing to have a go at it. I've totally bungled my way through the stuff I just added to my Rocket, but unless you look closely you would'nt really notice. Each one of my Mistakes, is something I can correct on my very next Builds. I must warn everyone though. If you try Detail Work, you may like myself find yourself hooked. Like I said, I can't immagine I going to leave Details off of any future builds, save for my LOC Viper III that is on its way. I just like the way that Rocket looks stock with the Snake Decals. I ordered the Decal Sheet separately.

ETA: The Gab is going to be updogged to a 29mm, so I'm not too concerned about weighing it down a little bit.

Last edited:
Here's the first Fin Gusset done. I really need to start buying Super Glue in larger quantities.

Yessir ,I buy super thin CA in the 2oz. bottles as well as those super fine disposable Teflon tips ,great for this type of work.

I also use Q-Tips as paintbrushes to apply CA

Paul t

I just ordered this Kit. Wonder if anyone else here had a Completed one with Pics?:

https://redarrowhobbies.com/kits/the_launch_pad_model_rockets/alarm.htm

https://www.the-launch-pad.com/#!blank/c9l1

I know it does'nt come with Decals, but I think I'm gonna' do something entirely different for Paint anyhow. I ordered some Estes 24mm Motor Retainers, and I'll be using a Nylon Chute' over the Mylar. Also, I've heard the Fins are flimsy Balsa, so that will be dealt with too when I get my hands on the Kit.
Looking forward to this Kit as I am trying to challenge myself a bit, and these Launch Pad Kits apparently take more effort to build right than ones where everything is already cut out and sized. It'll be nice to have a decent size Rocket that I can loft on F Motors. I was going to get a G-Force, but I've already had one, and this looks like I'll have to work on it more.
Also, can I build it with a 29mm, then use an Adapter to fly it on 24mm? I think I heard someone here say they could do that.

I tried the Search Function but got nothing.

I've come a long way. Maybe I'll be finished with this one this Month. I'm looking forward to my next TLP Kit, the Gabriel III/AS Missile. It is going to have to contend with my LOC Viper III, but I figure that with enough Epoxy anything is possible.
I just puchased a Printer/Scanner, so when I make the Templates for the Fin Skeletons on the Gabriel, I can share them here.

I enjoy sharing my progress, but I also enjoy sharing my Mistakes. In the most recent Case, I did'nt make all the Cardstock Fin Gussets at once. I only made one, thinking that if it did'nt work out well it would be easy to "Undo" it. I should have known better. As it is, I'll have to measure the one that is already on there to make Copies of. Kind of a hassle, so I think I'll tackle that tomorrow. That's okay though, since I'm going to the Hardware Store tomorrow. I can stock up heavy on Super Glue, Sand Paper and Epoxies.

Next Step is to make a Cardstock Nose Cone Detail. A simple Band to make the Tip look like a Fuse on a Warhead, which will be painted Silver. I may even go heavy here and buy some of that Aluminum Tape at the Hardware Store tomorrow. I used a Peice of that on my G-Force and Clearcoated it and it looked good and lasted for 5 Launches.

I'm going to buy a Dowel at the Hardware Store too, to make the Servo Armatures for the Rear set of Fins.

I added the first Aramature to the rear Set of Fins. The part was actually a pain to make, and now I need to make 7 more.

Got those miserable Fin Details done. They're not too bad from a distance, and this was my first time trying these new Techniques. I used Pauls Paper Cone Method to make this Band for my Nose Cone today. I think I nailed it! Got a little bit of Primer on, but it was really too cold out, so I just gave it a light Prime so I can see the Defects that need sanding.

Playin' with that Wonky Paper Decal Mock-up again. I like Triangles, and they look good on Missiles, and you should not get close enought to read Missiles anyhow.

I'm liking the contrasting Fins.

I tried out a couple of my Homeprinted Decals. I still need to do more sanding and priming, but could'nt resist trying out my new Skill Set.

Now I can create anything I can immagine! Scratch Builts to rival any Pre-made Kit!!! I love my Printer! I think I'm gonna' go online later and buy a Jigsaw for doing my Fin Cutting and Centering Rings and whatever. What I really need is a 3D Printer so I can make some crazy SAM-3 Type Missiles. I see a Wood Lathe in my Future as well.

I hope you are all still enjoying this Build as much as I am, but unfortunately it is going to be dependent on Weather. I can't use the Rattle Cans. Gonna' have my Hands on some Testors Paint, that can be Handbrushed on. My Mom was an Artist, so I have the Inspiration in me.

She gave me this, and I hardly have any Idea how to use most of it. I remember being taught it when I was a child. It must be hiding in here somewhere. Making Circles is pretty Important.

Last edited:
That is a beautiful set of tools ,I can appreciate those.

My rattle cans have been on hold for a few weeks now ,so now I need to wait until spring (I hate winter !) LOL

Paul t

Thanks Paul.
Now she sits in sad Silence due to the Weather. She needs Paint, and I don't want to subject her to another Cold Weather Paint Experience.
Oh the Humanity!!! I'm hoping we at least get one more day to Prime her and do the White Spots. I can manage the rest without a Rattle Can.

Last edited:
It's too cold out for Rattle Cans, so I can't finish Priming her til' who knows when, therefore I'll practice on her with my Testors Paints. I have'nt used these since I was 14-15 yrs. old, so I need the Practice and Experience. Then, when I Prime it again, I'll just cover everything in Primer and do it over. The second time around is destined to be better than the first.

So here we go:

Back