Anyone Build The Launch Pad Rocket ALARM?(Modified)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was nice enough out today to get more Primer on and a Coat of White Gloss. She'll have to stay outside til' she dries, or atleast mostly dries. Then I can stick her in my Laundry Room so she doeas'nt stink up the House. I'm satisfied with my White Coat, so next will be a massive Masking Tape Job to paint the Fins and upper Body Tube Hunter Green.

Just went through this thread ... LOOKS GREAT!

Thank you. It feels like a never ending Work in Progress, but once I get the Green on the Fins it should not be that hard to finish up painting by Hand.

Got her masked off and a light coat of the Hunter Green applied. It's getting cold now so no mre paint today. It's supposed to be nice tomorrow too, so hopefully I can finish the Fins and bands then.

As usual, my Patience was tested, and thanks to the Fact that I was using Krylon Fusion Paint, I only waited one Hour between Coats. Now I can start Detailing and Decaling, which will be followed by a Clear Coat. Then I'm done. I like how she turned out.

If you look near the Top of the Second Photo, you'll notice where I got my Inspiration from for the Paint Scheme. The North Koreans SAM-3 Paint Job. I instantly fell in love with the way that the Contrasting Colors drew your Eyes away from Details, then forced you to realize them.
I'm a big Fan of White and Green, so the Deal was done and I had my Main Scheme finally.

Next I'll do the Rivets and Tail Cone in Testors Silver, but on the Tail Cone, after the Silver dries, I'll pait those Rivets Black.
Then I'll work on the Hatch I did'nt Paint and the Wing Gussets and Fin Armatures.

I just had a funny Thought. I could finish it off with Missile Markings, but then add a Candy Cane Spiral to it and name her the "Santa Slayer".:rofl:

She is Christmasy after all.

She`s looking very nice ,the details you added do make the rocket/missile "POP" !

I wish I could do some painting ,just a bit too chilly ,although we don`t have snow yet ,which is unusual in my part of the world.

It does pay to take your time with these builds,and not rush things too much.

Cheers

Paul T

Thanks Paul. I'm learning most of my Techniques from you, so I'm glad you like it. I decided to paint the Band on the Tail Section.

More progress:

That is starting to look impressive Top!

Gotta ask about the Gaebel line gauge left side in the photo... you measure your rocket in inches or agate?

You have a good Eye. My Mother was the Art Director for the Suburban News (New Jersey), back in the late 70's and early 80's. Some of my Gear is "Hand me Downs". It does have "6 & 12 PT. Points" on the other side.

Last edited:
That's a beauty for sure! When's the first flight?

Sadly, I have yet to design an apropriate Launch Pad for it yet. I have my Rail, but really want one of those Rockwell Jaw Stands to mount it to. Also, I have not even ordered Motors yet. Likely the Launch will occur in December or January. I still need to do the Bulkhead in the Nose Cone, but I cut the Wood for that last night, so we're making Progress there too. This is my first time trying to make a really nice Rocket, and I'm enjoying it greatly, so I don't want it to end!
Thankfully, There's another TLP Kit on the back of my Bench, which will help me get over this one. I even have actual miniature Screws to use on that Build.

After looking at the pic for a while, I think it would look even better with a little more detail on the nose (e.g. a silver or dark green tip, and maybe some rivets on the band near the top of the cone). Just a thought, of course since you've already applied the clear it might not make sense to to that.

Gotta say, I really do love the lines of that rocket, its got that sexy Talon/Eagle Claw look to it!

Last edited:
After looking at the pic for a while, I think it would look even better with a little more detail on the nose (e.g. a silver or dark green tip, and maybe some rivets on the band near the top of the cone). Just a thought, of course since you've already applied the clear it might not make sense to to that.

Gotta say, I really do love the lines of that rocket, its got that sexy Talon/Eagle Claw look to it!

Thank You. Don't worry, I still need to do the Nose Cone and the rear Rail Button.

Latest posts

Back