Anybody else read "Wool"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished another book this week, "Off to be the Wizard" by Scott Meyer. It's more of a quirky fantasy story than Sci-Fi, but it was a fun read.

Just visited Amazon a few minutes ago and found a full page spread on the "Silo Saga" which consists of a large number of sci-fi books set in the shared Silo universe grouped under the title "Kindle Worlds: Silo Saga". Note: These are written by authors other than Hugh Howey.

Fans of the series should check it out.

Last edited:
I read the whole Wool series and really liked it.
Also, read the Sand series - also quite good.

So, the other night I'm looking for a new book to read (download on my Kindle) and decided to try another Howie book - "Halfway Home"
Wow, what a letdown. It was really pretty awful. NOT AT ALL up to the quality I'd come to expect from Howie. Amazon never mentioned it, but it seemed liked it was a "Y.A." book perhaps,but even so, it was really pretty weak for that. Cardboard characters, adolescent plot, sophomoric writing, AWFUL "science" - really not very good at all.

So if you consider yourself a Hugh Howie fan, do NOT get this book. It will let you down.

s6

I finished Sand and have now moved to The Martian based on recommendations in this thread. Unlike another sci-fi book I started then discarded after a week, this book has believable science and a realistic protagonist. I'm liking it.

I finished Sand and have now moved to The Martian based on recommendations in this thread. Unlike another sci-fi book I started then discarded after a week, this book has believable science and a realistic protagonist. I'm liking it.

I really liked The Martian a lot.

I just finished Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. 4/5 stars.
I also finished Dimension of Miracles by Robert Sheckley. It was supposed to be funny, but I just found it long winded. 2/5 stars.

I just started Cibola Burn: The Expanse, Book 4 by James S. A. Corey. So far so good. I really like this series.

I also purchased Spell or High Water: Magic 2.0 by Scott Meyer. This is the follow up to Off To Be The Wizard. I really loved that book so I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Yous guys are a bad influence on me. Ordered (and received) all three of the Wool, Shift and Dust books. Just haven't started them yet. They're in the queue though and moving closer to the top.

Adrian

Currently reading "The End is Nigh", edited by Howey. Contains one of his short stories that briefly ties Shift to Sand. Most of the stories aren't bad, but seem to end abruptly, just when they're getting good. The theme of the book is 'impending apocalypse', to be followed by companion volumes of 'apocalypse' and 'post-apocalypse'.

A colleague told me about this series. I might take a read.

It reminds me, for years now I've been trying to remember a series of books I read in school (12 years old) I think it was a trilogy, or maybe there were 5, but it was in a post-invasion Earth, where small bands of rebels survive, but try to fight with primitive weapons. The aliens had enslaved much of humanity and had them working in mines etc.

Damn, I wish I could remember.

Could it be what I call The Tripods Trilogy? First book is The White mountains, author is something Christopher? Loved those books (actually read them again as a 30-something and they hold up!!). Wool and Shift were amazing, waiting on Dust from the library.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Currently reading "The End is Nigh", edited by Howey. Contains one of his short stories that briefly ties Shift to Sand. Most of the stories aren't bad, but seem to end abruptly, just when they're getting good. The theme of the book is 'impending apocalypse', to be followed by companion volumes of 'apocalypse' and 'post-apocalypse'.

And, I forgot to mention, the bio blurb at the end of the story notes that Wool has been optioned for film by Ridley Scott.

I think that blurb has been out there for a couple of years. I haven't heard anything about an actual movie, though. I just wish Hugh would write a fourth novel.

“Night’s Dawn” Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton.
The “Priscilla Hutchins” novels by Jack McDevitt; starting with “Deepsix”
And if you can find them, the “Starriger” trilogy by Jonh De Chancie

Read the Wool omnibus edition a while back, loved it. Civil war in a silo, how can that not be a good read? This thread has got me wanting to read it again. Might have to read The Martian first though.

And now for some more obscure and hard to find science fiction gems.

Chris Claremont’s; “Nicole Shea” trilogy “First Flight” “Grounded” and “Sundowner”.

Scott G. Gier’s “Genellan” series starting with “Planetfall”

The four books in Vonda N McIntyre’s “Starfarers” trilogy.

Greg Bear’s “The Forge of God” and “Anvil of Stars”

Catherne Asaro’s ;“Sage of the Skolian Empire” series.

Currently I am rereading Gordon Dickson’s “Way of the Pilgrim”.

It's been a while since I replied to this thread. Here are some of the books I've finished lately.

Gods of Risk by James S A Corey. Part of The Expanse series. 4/5

The Churn by James S A Corey. Part of The Expanse series. 3/5

Daemon by Daniel Suarez. 4/5

Freedom by Daniel Suarez. 4/5

Influx by Daniel Suarez. 4/5

Lock In by John Scalzi. 5/5

The Serpent of Venice by Christopher Moore 4/5

I spent the first 15 minutes of my lunch break listening to the guy at the next table excitedly telling his friends about The Martian. He never said the name of the book while I was sitting there, but i knew what he was talking about in the first 10 seconds. :clap:

“Cities in Flight” series by James Blish.
“League of Peoples” series by James Alan Gardner; beginning with “Expendable”.
“Well World Saga” by Jack L. Chalker’ beginning with “Midnight at the Well of Souls”.

Formally "boomtube" Don't ask.

Just finished Wool this week. Started Shift immediately after. Pretty good stuff.
Also, anyone on the fence, I highly recommend The Martian. Riveting book.

Adrian

Catching up on some stuff..... news from 6-7 weeks ago.

Andy Weir's "The Martian" is going to be made into a movie directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon.

https://www.space.com/26842-the-martian-book-movie-ridley-scott.html

Release for Fall 2015.

I hope they don't screw it up, there's been so many awful Mars movies in the last 15-20 years. But they all had fatal flaws in the basic plots sucked to begin with (Mission to Mars, Red Planet). But this has a great premise and plot. As long that they don't add some new little robot named Jar-Jar or something like that...... (A volleyball named Wilson.... maybe....*).

- George Gassaway

* - "Castaway" reference

Wow, that's great. I just posted on audible that I thought it was a travesty that "The Maze Runner" was made into a movie and "The Martian" would probably never get that opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

The Martian is a riveting novel which only science nerds can fully appreciate. Very well thought out and accurate (far as I can tell)

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I finally read Sand this week. Pretty good and it was hard to put down. There is enough in the sand-verse that there is plenty of room for a 2nd book. However, a 2nd book really isn't needed.

Really enjoyed Wool and The Martian. Another book that I read last year that was a huge amount of fun was Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. A must read if you like early computer games, 1980s music, TV and movies and virtual reality all mixed into a dystopian future.

Catching up on some stuff..... news from 6-7 weeks ago.

Andy Weir's "The Martian" is going to be made into a movie directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon.

https://www.space.com/26842-the-martian-book-movie-ridley-scott.html

Release for Fall 2015.

I hope they don't screw it up, there's been so many awful Mars movies in the last 15-20 years. But they all had fatal flaws in the basic plots sucked to begin with (Mission to Mars, Red Planet). But this has a great premise and plot. As long that they don't add some new little robot named Jar-Jar or something like that...... (A volleyball named Wilson.... maybe....*).

- George Gassaway

* - "Castaway" reference

That's awesome. That was a great book.

YES!!! I loved Ready Player One. Have you read Year Zero or Off to Be the Wizard? They are also near the top on my list.

Really enjoyed Wool and The Martian. Another book that I read last year that was a huge amount of fun was Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. A must read if you like early computer games, 1980s music, TV and movies and virtual reality all mixed into a dystopian future.

Just started "Lock In" so far it is great! Loved "The Martian" and it could be a great movie if done right. The character's sense of humor is what makes the book work and that will be harder to reproduce in a film.

Last edited:
Back