Anybody else read "Wool"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed the whole series. I felt that it wrapped up too neatly and quickly for my tastes, but good nonetheless.
-Ken

Yes, I would agree. The pace of the story sped up as the series continued. This was very evident in Dust. I believe it would have been better to preserve the pace and associated step-by-step revealing of the story in more detail even if it meant extending it over a fourth book.

Another book I wholeheartedly recommend is "The Martian". Check it out.

Thanks very much for recommending that. Wool is not my cup of tea, but that free first chapter of "The Martian" got me hooked. I'm maybe 1/10 into the book right now.

So far, it reads like it would make a great movie.

But then two problems:

The Mission to Mars like movies of recent years would stack the deck against "another Mars movie" as far as many movie studios would be concerned. Never mind that the plots of those movies were horrible to atrocious. I'm talking about "Mission to Mars" , and "Red Planet". Heck, there actually was a Mars movie that was enjoyable, which was meant to be funny, unlike the other two: "Rocketman". And yes, I admit to watching that one a few times on cable (Almost like the 1990's version of "The Reluctant Astronaut").

Anyway, the other strike against making this story into a movie. So far, it seems like with the exception of a few minutes in a movie, one actor would be doing all the scenes alone. How could there EVER be a successful movie about space, with just ONE actor carrying 80-90% of the movie solo? A guy and a volleyball stuck on a deserted island, sure, but in SPACE?

What?

Gravity?

Well, the gravity on Mars is.... no wait, what?

Oh, yes, that's right, the movie Gravity.

Anyway, don't know when I'll finish up the book, please no spoilers.

- George Gassaway

Rocketman.jpg

Last edited:
George,

When you finish it let me know what you think about it. I really loved it.

Chris

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Another book I wholeheartedly recommend is "The Martian". Check it out.

I read the sample chapters, and got hooked, too. Pricey book, though. $10 for the Kindle version.

Found a favorite quote already. "My a**hole is doing as much to keep me alive as my brain." :lol:

George,

When you finish it let me know what you think about it. I really loved it.

Finished it, I loved it too. Obviously had more than I had originally thought when I made my earlier comments. I don't want to mention anything even generically so as not to spoil anything for anyone who might want to try it after reading this. Man, I can't even mention how bits remind me of certain other GOOD movies, as those might be spoilers.

Heck, if there was a kickstarter to make this into a movie, i'd put up a few bucks. There already was a successful kickstarter for a Mars movie...... :)

- George Gassaway

Veronica-Mars-FBI-Season-4-Pilot.jpg

That was quick. You must have liked it. :^)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

A colleague told me about this series. I might take a read.

It reminds me, for years now I've been trying to remember a series of books I read in school (12 years old) I think it was a trilogy, or maybe there were 5, but it was in a post-invasion Earth, where small bands of rebels survive, but try to fight with primitive weapons. The aliens had enslaved much of humanity and had them working in mines etc.

Damn, I wish I could remember.

You wouldn't be talking about 'Battlefield Earth'? Hilarious movie.

Gary

I haven't read a novel in years. Literally years. I was searching for a science fiction short story I read as a kid (which I didn't find, by the way), and ran across something called "Wool" on Amazon, by Hugh Howey. It was free. ...

Read Wool sometime last year, didn't know there were sequels; will have to pick them up.

I remember it made me go back and reread the classic 'Level 7'. Not really alike, but just reminded me.

Gary

I got a little over halfway through The Martian, yesterday. I'm digging it!

You know what? You guys are terrible. It was bad enough that you all talked me into getting my Level 1 and Level 2. But now you have me buying $10 books. What's next, new underwear? Sheesh.

A colleague told me about this series. I might take a read.

It reminds me, for years now I've been trying to remember a series of books I read in school (12 years old) I think it was a trilogy, or maybe there were 5, but it was in a post-invasion Earth, where small bands of rebels survive, but try to fight with primitive weapons. The aliens had enslaved much of humanity and had them working in mines etc.

Damn, I wish I could remember.

Could you be referring to John Christopher’s “Tripod Trilogy”?

This is the first thing I thought of too --- Tripod Trilogy. I read it when I was probably 10 or 12, and I loved it. That was my first science fiction.

I realized I went a bit too far in not trying to spoil anything, that so far there has been no basic description of what "The Martian" is, or isn't.

It is not about aliens or monsters.

It is not about using some future "technobabble" technology magic.

It is a realistic story that uses the same technology as exists today, but more advanced as it would be a few decades into the future.

It IS about a future mission of humans from Earth to Mars (Sadly, that is the most outrageous fictional part of the book….. that we'd actually DO it, and actually plan to do many of them).

The story is about the third mission, which was getting about the same attention on Earth as the 3rd planned lunar landing on the Moon (Apollo 13, which was being mostly ignored until, you know).

Mission 3 lands safely on Mars, the crew sets up camp, begins exploring, and so on. Routine.

A few days later... a natural event happens… a severe one…. leading to a disaster.

I've not spoiled earlier chapters of the book, because the book starts off after the disaster has occurred, and the above is described early in chapter 1, beginning with the 9th paragraph.

There are many clever moments in the book. Even at least a couple of "OMG" moments. Many many problems to be solved, or else. Also many setbacks. Also, some old tech. And some very VERY old tech.

Here's a link that has the first chapter, and the first 8 paragraphs of chapter 1 are pasted below:

https://www.space.com/24721-chapter-one-of-the-martian.html

- George Gassaway

"Chapter 1: Log Entry SOL 6

I'm pretty much f*****.

That's my considered opinion.

F*****.

Six days into what should be the greatest two months of my life, and it's turned into a nightmare.

I don't even know who'll read this. I guess someone will find it eventually. Maybe a hundred years from now.

For the record . . . I didn't die on Sol 6. Certainly the rest of the crew thought I did, and I can't blame them. Maybe there'll be a day of national mourning for me, and my Wikipedia page will say, "Mark Watney is the only human being to have died on Mars."

And it'll be right, probably. 'Cause I'll surely die here. Just not on Sol 6 when everyone thinks I did.

Let's see . . . where do I begin?"

18007564.jpg

Last edited:
Did I mention that i LOVED that book? Great hard science fiction with a healthy dose of humor that was right up my alley.

A few more recommendations:

The Expanse Series by James S.A. Corey - A space based detective story
Year Zero by Rob Reid - A little more lighthearted
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - If you grew up in the 80's you'll love this one
Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi

So, I have a small confession to make. I haven't READ a book in years. I sit at a computer all day and my eyes are usually too tired to read when I get home. Not to mention I have too many projects to work on. I sit in traffic for ~2 hours a day and hated my commute for years. A couple years ago I got hooked on audiobooks and my commute has been great ever since.

Anyway the whole point of this is that Sand was just released on Audible and I immediately bought it.

I read the first book of The Expanse. I never picked up the second book after it came out. Maybe it is time to start that series again.

I know they are not as hard hitting sci fi and are a lot of fluff, but I enjoyed the Galaxy Unknown Series and Solar Clipper Trader Tales

I just finished the second Silo 49 book yesterday. I liked it more than the first (which I liked a lot), and the third is shaping up nicely, as well. The Silo 49 series are fan fiction by Ann Christy, and I highly recommend them to anyone who likes Wool.

I read the sample chapters, and got hooked, too. Pricey book, though. $10 for the Kindle version.

Found a favorite quote already. "My a**hole is doing as much to keep me alive as my brain." :lol:

$10 is pricey, but wow, I'm now on a straight burn-through read; can't put it down. Few books make me lol... (.Y.)

Gary

I'm glad to hear that you're all enjoying The Martian as much as I did.

I've been listening to Sand for the last few days. I only have a little over an hour left. I don't care for all of the foul language, but other than that it's enjoyable.

Back