Any annual events in Australia ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A thought occurred to me while enjoying my Sunday morning coffee: I need to plan a bucket-list trip to Oz. Then I thought it would be nice to attend a rocket launch as well. Are there any annual events like Airfest or LDRS in that part of the world ?

Last edited:
I heard rumors of a big launch next fall – 2024. If it happens, I already know a handful of flyers who are very interested in going. Hopefully we’ll hear more now that you’ve asked.

Tony

There have been a few in the past. Thunda Downunder was held 4.5 hours west of Brisbane in 2015 and 2019. Not sure we will get another of those anytime soon as Blake is busy with his aerospace company.

Williams "Wildfire" Westernationals was held in Western Australia a few times. Not sure when the next is going to happen there either.

Motors are a big problem down here currently. Pricing is horrendous. That would put many people off. Prices on last order were H motors starting at $AUD87, K550 at $AUD420 and N1000W at $AUD3145 (plus a bit more because SDL is required for shipping).

There are quite a few clubs around the country so you could just attend one of their launches. Details on Tripoli website, or ask here :) .

Hi Sam,
Here's the link to Tripoli New South Wales, nswrocketry. In Australia, fire season goes from September ish to March ish and generally there are no launches then. But it depends on the location. Australia is roughly the same land mass as the US. So there's a bit of seasonal variation depending on the location.

https://nswrocketry.org.au/launch-info/

Across the ditch huh... nice! :) I guess if I make it to the southern hemisphere I'm in the neighborhood, right ?

🤣
🤣
🤣
🤣
🤣
🤣
🤣
🤣
🤣
🤣

I see on the Havoc in the Paddock page that TRA certs were recognized for that launch. Is that true of other NZRA launches? (Unlikely I'd make it over from the States next year, but maybe someday.)
Hi Stephen - yes we do recognize certifications from TRA, NAR etc. We're hoping to formalize some sort of cross-approval this year so we can come over there, but in the meantime, you are more than welcome to join us!

Ethan

Thanks, Ethan. Good to know. Hope I can make it down to launch with you sometime (and with your neighbors across the strait too). Also hope that two-way recognition works out, but in the meantime, I'm sure your members would have plenty of folk willing to be flyer of record for them at a US launch.

Thanks, Ethan. Good to know. Hope I can make it down to launch with you sometime (and with your neighbors across the strait too). Also hope that two-way recognition works out, but in the meantime, I'm sure your members would have plenty of folk willing to be flyer of record for them at a US launch.

lol - you do realize that this is one of Ethans birds...

1695169910998.jpeg

Ethan in red shorts doing the project orchestration...

Back