Another Saturn IB

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well hello, Internet! It's time to revive this thread as I hope to fly this thing at LDRS!

Many things have to happen. I need to fix the coupling of stages. This will involve making the outer tube structural and not relying on a stuffer tube. Also, I need to change the way the airstarts work. Finally, the thing needs a proper painting and decoration!

I've been unmotivated with the lack of access to flying fields for what has now been years, but this looks like the year. We're also getting access to a new low power field locally.

Work on FreeCAD and the Rocket Workbench will continue, but I'll be trying to squeeze in a little rocket making each day.

Some updates.

My 3D printers had annoyed me to the point where I walked away from it all together. It's been over a year. I finally took the half hour to replace the faulty connector on the old one but my home built still has major faults. That may be a bigger redesign. But I should be able to print the parts I need for this flight.

The first part of the rebuild is reworking the upper section. I need to strengthen the first part of it to make it structural which is finicky but should be doable without too much effort. Step one is removing the stringers and other features. My though was a heat gun should loosen up the CA glue, but mostly it softened the plastic. In the meantime the smell of CA glue fills the air! Yup, I need the respirator for this one.

The edges are frayed, some holes will need to be filled, and I'll coat the outer surface with a layer of 2 oz FG to make the surface smoother.

Attachments

• sIB_Refurb.jpg
    sIB_Refurb.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 0
In the meantime I'm spending money. For the airstarts I'm using 2 EasyTimer devices. I had to get a new drogue since the last flight shredded the original. Then there's fiberglass, mylar, and other build supplies.

All of the features are removed from the upper stage. Moved that process outside and used all available PPE. When you can see the CA glue vapour rising from the rocket like a cloud of steam you know it's the right choice!

Of course with all the stringers removed, I also ordered a whole bunch of new styrene strips.

As is typical with my old 3D printers, the fix didn't fix it. I ordered a new Prusa Mk4 that should arrive next week. Hopefully its legendary reliability holds up. It's a long weekend here in Canada so it'll be 3 solid days of fibreglassing and other structural work.

Attachments

• IMG_0381.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
Back