My Wildly Overcomplicated Level 1 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well more accurately perhaps more safe to handle as the engine is mostly inert until you load the oxidizer. So we could have them at our school and students could handle them without any special supervision. Once the BP is loaded the students are no longer allowed to touch the rockets and we are more than a safe distance away when they get loaded with oxidizer(that being said a lot of those rockets shouldn't fly for other reasons 1/2 skywrite.) I don't necessarily agree with it, like why can't we just give students the case without the propellent. Overall though it's a great program and I am very fortunate to have had it in my life.
That sounds like a poorly thought out decision, if thought out at all. Estes and AT BP and composite motors are meant to be handled by children with adult supervision. This sounds like someone in administration who knew nothing about rocketry said:
WHAT? YOU WANT TO GIVE THE CHILDREN GUNPOWDER?! :haironfire::haironfire::haironfire:!!!!!!!!!"
Of course, I'm jumping to conclusions here, and maybe I'm all wet.

/thread hijack off/

thrust ring???? what the heck???
if it's a thrust ring ala Estes rockets, you really don't understand HP. Delete that thing. There's no reason to have one, especially in a MD rocket. (unless you're going to fly one length motor or smaler) the air frame is what your rocket motor is pushing against. If your motor was hanging BELOW the airframe, you really pushed your CG aft (and to some extent changed your CP, and effectively put your tiny fins further FORWARD. All of which spells the type of disaster you had. That explains that!

WHAT? YOU WANT TO GIVE THE CHILDREN GUNPOWDER?! :haironfire::haironfire::haironfire:!!!!!!!!!"
For a while, I led off my workplace fundraising for rocketry club by saying that we were giving teenagers low explosives to load into vehicles with limited steering. You know, hobby rocketry!

That went over really well (not sarcasm) in an engineering office.
[end threadjack]

/thread hijack off/

if it's a thrust ring ala Estes rockets, you really don't understand HP. Delete that thing. There's no reason to have one, especially in a MD rocket. (unless you're going to fly one length motor or smaler) the air frame is what your rocket motor is pushing against. If your motor was hanging BELOW the airframe, you really pushed your CG aft (and to some extent changed your CP, and effectively put your tiny fins further FORWARD. All of which spells the type of disaster you had. That explains that!
I think he meant the thrust ring that's part of the motor, notan Estes style engine block.

I think he meant the thrust ring that's part of the motor, notan Estes style engine block.
Beat me to the punch by 30 seconds but here's what I wrote anyway
/thread hijack off/

Interesting... I thought it was fairly common to use thrust ring in an Min rocket. I am using correct terminology right? The 3d printer part that is at the end of the engine? Regardless, while I'm sure it didn't help my situation, the stability margin wasn't an issue(or so I think and that's the general consensus). It was around 3 calibers(with cg overridden), I think the bigger issue was the lack of area. I also used aluminum tape to retain the motor so without the thrust ring something else would need to be done. And finally, there was no engine bulkhead so the thrust ring is kinda important. I will eventually make a floating bulkhead like Adrian A does, but I see that as unnecessary until I throw a loki J motor in there.
That sounds like a poorly thought out decision, if thought out at all. Estes and AT BP and composite motors are meant to be handled by children with adult supervision. This sounds like someone in administration who knew nothing about rocketry said:
Of course, I'm jumping to conclusions here, and maybe I'm all wet.
I 100% agree, this spring I plan on attending the yearly launch as a RSO so i will have a discussion about this. I know they are having trouble with getting the hybrids from hypertek so they may be open to it. One thing I didn't mention however, is there are certain goals each year. The second year, the challenge is to go Mach 1. On a solid motor this would be really easy. With a hybrid it's a little more difficult especially with a 12k ceiling. So I think that may have something to do with it.
For a while, I led off my workplace fundraising for rocketry club by saying that we were giving teenagers low explosives to load into vehicles with limited steering. You know, hobby rocketry!

That went over really well (not sarcasm) in an engineering office.
[end threadjack]
No worries about threadjacking. I think that if the schools fully understood the dangers or lack thereof they wouldn't be to worried about it. But being able to say there is not way this motor can light without special tools etc makes them more willing to throw money at it.

Beat me to the punch by 30 seconds but here's what I wrote anyway

Interesting... I thought it was fairly common to use thrust ring in an Min rocket. I am using correct terminology right? The 3d printer part that is at the end of the engine? Regardless, while I'm sure it didn't help my situation, the stability margin wasn't an issue(or so I think and that's the general consensus). It was around 3 calibers(with cg overridden), I think the bigger issue was the lack of area. I also used aluminum tape to retain the motor so without the thrust ring something else would need to be done. And finally, there was no engine bulkhead so the thrust ring is kinda important. I will eventually make a floating bulkhead like Adrian A does, but I see that as unnecessary until I throw a loki J motor in there.
No, dude. this isn't low or mid power where most motors are the same length
Estes style thrust rings do not aid in retention. You've got that all wrong
All they do is give the motor something to push against. Your aft closure pushes against the aft end of the body
so you do need to figure out retention. if you don't use DMS motors you can use a threaded closure then this:
https://aeropack.net/pages/min-dia-retainersor you can use tape.
I've also seen eyebolts with thru-pinning using stainless steel pins that go all the way thru the body.

sim the rocket with the motor overhanging as much as it was when you flew it, then post it here.

No, dude. this isn't low or mid power where most motors are the same length
Estes style thrust rings do not aid in retention. You've got that all wrong
All they do is give the motor something to push against. Your aft closure pushes against the aft end of the body
so you do need to figure out retention. if you don't use DMS motors you can use a threaded closure then this:
https://aeropack.net/pages/min-dia-retainersor you can use tape.
I've also seen eyebolts with thru-pinning using stainless steel pins that go all the way thru the body.

sim the rocket with the motor overhanging as much as it was when you flew it, then post it here.
I'm sorry, my friend, it's you who've got it all wrong. Because he did not do what you think he did. The ring of material at the aft end of the motor that's a little larger than the motor's nominal diameter - the aft closure or the bit molded into the case of a single use motor, is the "thrust ring" he's talking about. You're talking about an "engine block", which he is not using. He wrote that he used aluminum tape for retention, just as you said one could.

James, have you got any photos of the rocket in launch configuration?

Also, James, you're wrong about the stability margin. It wasn't 3 calibers. A flawed simulation reported that it was 3 calibers, but it was probably very close to zero. The flaw in the simulation is that it did not account for the boundary layer effects which have been extensively discussed already.

James, have you got any photos of the rocket in launch configuration?
You are right, here is a picture of the configuration. The circled area is where the aluminum tape would go for motor retention.20231221_210107.jpg
Also, James, you're wrong about the stability margin. It wasn't 3 calibers. A flawed simulation reported that it was 3 calibers, but it was probably very close to zero. The flaw in the simulation is that it did not account for the boundary layer effects which have been extensively discussed already.
Agreed, would it be more accurate to say the "simulated" stability margin was 3 calibers? And it didn't carry over into the real world due to boundary layer effects?

Also in the attached picture, the new fins are compared to the old fins. They are MUCH larger.

Im not sure I agree with blaming boundary layer effects. To me, this looks like a case of an angle of attack causing a static instability. Opening and messing around with the openrocket file, I noticed that an angle of attack of around 11 degrees causes a static instability in your rocket (ie negative cal of stability).

image.pngThere are a couple of things that can cause this situation to present itself.

1. Launch site wind. I found that a wind speed around 5 m/sec (11mph) would set you to that 11 degree AOA. Your rocket is most likely to pitch into the wind when it is going its slowest. Your rocket is going fairly quick off the rail, but being so long and having such a spread out mass moment of inertia, it is probably overdamped and corrects to aoa’s really quickly.

image.png2. Slop in couplers

I noticed that your tubes have quite a bit of couplers and such, which may result in a bit of slop/wobble in the airframe. This works to exaggerate angling off the rail when parts do not fit super tight inside each other

3. Launching out of towers like that may impart some angle themselves.

This could just be a skill issue for me, but every time I launch out of a tower following similar designs, it get a 10 degree or so AOA out of them no matter how fast I am going or how little wind there is.

For example, last weekend I launched a rocket out of a similar tower and it should have left the tower at around mach 0.7. The wind was about 2 m/sec that day and it still went for a 10 degree aoa.

In addition, a 4ft tower really doesnt help to get a lot of velocity.

One other thing I check is the Cn alpha parameter in the component analysis tab. This is the coefficient of normal force and basically shows how effective your fins are at actually restoring the rocket from off aoa. Being around 9, it is on the lower end of a rule of thumb I follow of 10-15. If cna is too low, the rocket needs a larger angle of attack before the fins start really doing anything. This is high enough at 9 to not be the cause of problems on this flight, but it could have helped if you had made the fins larger and increased the cna. Shooting for a high value of cna helps the situation where all your stability comes from noseweight and not from big enough fins.

In conclusion, problems like this aren’t unique to people new to the hobby or rockets in general, and not to high performance rockets either. Take a look at Bare Necessities, at N5800 flying case that went statically unstable according to openrocket a few seconds into burn. I believe the cause of this being too small of fins and also all the stability coming from noseweight. If there is anything you can learn from this is that you are a proficient enough rocketeer to have things “fail” safely (ie recovery deployment was nominal) and that theres a lot more variables to check than one might originally thing.

If you have any questions or designs you wanna run by me/trf before you build/fly, you should do that is this is a nice community with some people really willing to help and want to see you succeed (for example the “those fins look small” comment at the beginning of the thread)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    47 KB · Views: 0
  • image.png
    image.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 0
Im not sure I agree with blaming boundary layer effects. To me, this looks like a case of an angle of attack causing a static instability. Opening and messing around with the openrocket file, I noticed that an angle of attack of around 11 degrees causes a static instability in your rocket (ie negative cal of stability).
<<snip pic>>

There are a couple of things that can cause this situation to present itself.

1. Launch site wind. I found that a wind speed around 5 m/sec (11mph) would set you to that 11 degree AOA. Your rocket is most likely to pitch into the wind when it is going its slowest. Your rocket is going fairly quick off the rail, but being so long and having such a spread out mass moment of inertia, it is probably overdamped and corrects to aoa’s really quickly.
<<snip pic>> 2. Slop in couplers

I noticed that your tubes have quite a bit of couplers and such, which may result in a bit of slop/wobble in the airframe. This works to exaggerate angling off the rail when parts do not fit super tight inside each other

3. Launching out of towers like that may impart some angle themselves.

This could just be a skill issue for me, but every time I launch out of a tower following similar designs, it get a 10 degree or so AOA out of them no matter how fast I am going or how little wind there is.

For example, last weekend I launched a rocket out of a similar tower and it should have left the tower at around mach 0.7. The wind was about 2 m/sec that day and it still went for a 10 degree aoa.

In addition, a 4ft tower really doesnt help to get a lot of velocity.

One other thing I check is the Cn alpha parameter in the component analysis tab. This is the coefficient of normal force and basically shows how effective your fins are at actually restoring the rocket from off aoa. Being around 9, it is on the lower end of a rule of thumb I follow of 10-15. If cna is too low, the rocket needs a larger angle of attack before the fins start really doing anything. This is high enough at 9 to not be the cause of problems on this flight, but it could have helped if you had made the fins larger and increased the cna. Shooting for a high value of cna helps the situation where all your stability comes from noseweight and not from big enough fins.

In conclusion, problems like this aren’t unique to people new to the hobby or rockets in general, and not to high performance rockets either. Take a look at Bare Necessities, at N5800 flying case that went statically unstable according to openrocket a few seconds into burn. I believe the cause of this being too small of fins and also all the stability coming from noseweight. If there is anything you can learn from this is that you are a proficient enough rocketeer to have things “fail” safely (ie recovery deployment was nominal) and that theres a lot more variables to check than one might originally thing.

If you have any questions or designs you wanna run by me/trf before you build/fly, you should do that is this is a nice community with some people really willing to help and want to see you succeed (for example the “those fins look small” comment at the beginning of the thread)

Outstanding analysis, @Brainstormz123 !

I was not aware of the usefulness of those features in OR !

Thank you !

You've given me another new idea to play with !

I've noticed in videos of launches with very high thrust-to-weight ratios that the rockets often make that same sudden turn that you noted in your flights immediately after leaving the tower or rail.

And it is not only in your rockets so I don't think it's a matter of your skillz :)

I have alslo noted similar unexplained sudden turns in short, wide rockets as they leave the rail.

@wclaybaugh2 recently made a post about axial balance in @robopup's excellent (Yet Another) 100k Attempt thread and Bill's post has started me thinking about the axial mass symmetry of my rockets.

In addition to Balanced Moments and Roll and Coning, I've been wondering about the effects of axial off-center CG's and the flight characteristics of high thrust-to-weight ratio rocket flights.

Thinking about the force vectors and where they act on the rocket as a system as it leaves a tower or rail under very high thrust, is there a tendency for an axially imbalanced rocket to turn ?

Maybe so ?

Would it be exaggerated if there is any slop in the couplers ?

Probably so !

I've not come away with any tangible results or recommendations ... there is a lot to study and I've got a lot to learn in my new 6-DoF world !

Thanks @James Keller for the excellent build thread and to all who have participated so far ...

-- kjh

EDIT: This is a rocket I am about to start building.

Plenty stable at AoA = 0 deg:

LDV-42-Stability-0-deg-AoA-Screenshot_20231222_022850.png

But not so much at 10 deg !

LDV-42-Stability-10-deg-AoA-Screenshot_20231222_023005.png

Yikes !

Last edited:
"I am a fool"*. A soon as someone brought up the boundary layer, by brain went "Oh, advance aerodynamics. I don't know about that stuff. It sounds plausible, so I better go with it," and I stopped thinking about other things**. Like body lift.

Because the CP is calculated at zero AoA, there is no accounting made of lift generated by the body tube. That lift causes the CP to move forward with increasing AoA.The amount that it does depends on the rocket's length. Which means that long, skinny rockets need the CG and CP to be further apart than not so long ones. So their static margins measured in calibers need to have a higher number than short, fat ones.

Remember what I wrote earlier about why "normal" looking rockets look that way. In addition to normal looking fin size, there's also normal looking length to diameter ratio, which is in the ballpark of 10:1. A static margin of 1 to 1.5 calibers, which means the CG and CP are 1 to 1.5 body tube diameters apart, can alo be expressed as about 10% to 15% of the rocket's length.

When accounting for body lift, the CG is likely to move up to about 10% of the total length for AoA up to 10 degrees1. See where this is going? Total length is probably a better basis for the stability margin that diameter, with 10% being the minimum as a good rule of thumb, 15% being safer. For a normal looking rocket it's six of one and a half dozen of the other, but if the length to diameter ratio is not normal looking, expressing it in calibers can be misleading.

The Estes Mean Machine has a huge static margin when expressed in calibers, but pretty moderate in percentage of length.

What does your margin look like in length percentage?

* I guess I'm in good company, since I'm quoting Spock.
** A mistake Spock would certainly not have made.

1 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECB8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw0RJGNKixUodVKu41PXslyz

The Estes Mean Machine has a huge static margin when expressed in calibers, but pretty moderate in percentage of length.

What does your margin look like in length percentage?
In one of my screenshots, you can see I had it in percent using my openrocket as default. It was 10.3%, which isnt actually all that low.

Anyways, a 10 degree aoa out the tower is fairly high and the average rocket is about 5 or so, so the stability case of 10 degrees being stable isnt great to use.

Last edited:
Another factor I didnt note is nozzle missalignment on 29mm and 38mm dms motors is fairly common because they way they are assembled basically requires the eyeball to make sure it is straight. Had an I500 i flew with a 3.5 degree missalignment, and it just happens sometimes (ive seen h13 enthusiasts buying like 5 motors and picking the most aligned to ensure the rocket goes straight in the air)

Wow, I am amazed by the amount of support and help I've had here. I truly appreciate all of you.
Opening and messing around with the openrocket file, I noticed that an angle of attack of around 11 degrees causes a static instability in your rocket (ie negative cal of stability).
I was unaware of these tools in open rocket. I did some analysis of the new fins, they maintain 1 caliber of stability until an angle of attack of 13 or so degrees. It doesn't go negative until 27 degrees. It also helps that I am going to shorten the airframe by 5 or so inches.
Slop in couplers
I think this may have done me in There was a not so insignificant amount of slop in both couplers. I forgot my painters tape without much thought wrote it off as insignificant.
In addition, a 4ft tower really doesnt help to get a lot of velocity
Not that it matters much in the grand scheme of things, but I modified the design and added a middle support so the tower is actually 6ft. It should help at least a little in the future. It has been updated in OR.
Being around 9, it is on the lower end of a rule of thumb I follow of 10-15
They are now at 9.9ish hopefully that's enough, let me know what you think. I've attached pictures and the OR file.
(for example the “those fins look small” comment at the beginning of the thread)
Yep, sometimes I think it's important for me to learn from my own mistakes. I'm just fortunate I didn't smash up some expensive electronics.
So their static margins measured in calibers need to have a higher number than short, fat ones.
Good to know, makes a lot of sense to.
When accounting for body lift, the CG is likely to move up to about 10% of the total length for AoA up to 10 degrees1. See where this is going? Total length is probably a better basis for the stability margin that diameter, with 10% being the minimum as a good rule of thumb, 15% being safer. For a normal looking rocket it's six of one and a half dozen of the other, but if the length to diameter ratio is not normal looking, expressing it in calibers can be misleading.
Inserting, the reason for the length was I wanted to fly a Loki J1026 in it, hence the over building. I also for the cert flight wanted a camera on board BUT didn't want to cut a hole where the bigger motor would be hence the 2 airframes. I'm starting to think that maybe I should give up on wanting to build a rocket that can do both, and make a rocket instead for each. Considering I already have a NC built and a new airframe and fins made it really wouldn't be very difficult. I'll mull over that idea, hopefully you guys have some input.
Another factor I didnt note is nozzle missalignment on 29mm and 38mm dms motors is fairly common because they way they are assembled basically requires the eyeball to make sure it is straight. Had an I500 i flew with a 3.5 degree missalignment, and it just happens sometimes (ive seen h13 enthusiasts buying like 5 motors and picking the most aligned to ensure the rocket goes straight in the air)
Here's my conclusion to all of this and what I think may have happened. First I think that the engine may have had a slightly misaligned nozzle, causing a slight amount of off axis thrust. Then once it cleared the tower it pitched slightly. After this maybe some off axis CG stuff happened when the top portion of the rocket shifted due to coupler slop. This is all to say that eventually the rocket one way or another hit an angle of attack of >10 deg. Therefore making it unstable. I think that while the problem is fairly complex the solution is really easy. Bigger fins, and a better friction fit coupler. Like I said I already have a new airframe wrapped and new fins cut. Still need to chamfer them though. Attached is a picture of the OpenRocket to make sure it passes the eye test. And the OR file is also uploaded. One thing I also forgot to mention. There isn't 3 body sections. It's 2 and the top one is really just an extension of the NC. Screenshot 2023-12-22 164057.png

Attachments

• 38mm Min.ork
    2.2 KB · Views: 0
Yep, sometimes I think it's important for me to learn from my own mistakes. I'm just fortunate I didn't smash up some expensive electronics.
I wholeheartedly approve.
Attached is a picture of the OpenRocket to make sure it passes the eye test. And the OR file is also uploaded. One thing I also forgot to mention. There isn't 3 body sections. It's 2 and the top one is really just an extension of the NC. View attachment 621201
That does look much better, and I see the static margin is up to about 15%. There's probably a way in OR to specify that you have that straight section of the nose cone, as one piece with the rest, just as you manufactured it. (One can in RS, and I assume one can in OR.) It's not important, but now you know.

Wow, I am amazed by the amount of support and help I've had here. I truly appreciate all of you.

I was unaware of these tools in open rocket. I did some analysis of the new fins, they maintain 1 caliber of stability until an angle of attack of 13 or so degrees. It doesn't go negative until 27 degrees. It also helps that I am going to shorten the airframe by 5 or so inches.

I think this may have done me in There was a not so insignificant amount of slop in both couplers. I forgot my painters tape without much thought wrote it off as insignificant.

Not that it matters much in the grand scheme of things, but I modified the design and added a middle support so the tower is actually 6ft. It should help at least a little in the future. It has been updated in OR.

They are now at 9.9ish hopefully that's enough, let me know what you think. I've attached pictures and the OR file.

Good to know, makes a lot of sense to.

Inserting, the reason for the length was I wanted to fly a Loki J1026 in it, hence the over building. I also for the cert flight wanted a camera on board BUT didn't want to cut a hole where the bigger motor would be hence the 2 airframes. I'm starting to think that maybe I should give up on wanting to build a rocket that can do both, and make a rocket instead for each. Considering I already have a NC built and a new airframe and fins made it really wouldn't be very difficult. I'll mull over that idea, hopefully you guys have some input.

Here's my conclusion to all of this and what I think may have happened. First I think that the engine may have had a slightly misaligned nozzle, causing a slight amount of off axis thrust. Then once it cleared the tower it pitched slightly. After this maybe some off axis CG stuff happened when the top portion of the rocket shifted due to coupler slop. This is all to say that eventually the rocket one way or another hit an angle of attack of >10 deg. Therefore making it unstable. I think that while the problem is fairly complex the solution is really easy. Bigger fins, and a better friction fit coupler. Like I said I already have a new airframe wrapped and new fins cut. Still need to chamfer them though. Attached is a picture of the OpenRocket to make sure it passes the eye test. And the OR file is also uploaded. One thing I also forgot to mention. There isn't 3 body sections. It's 2 and the top one is really just an extension of the NC. View attachment 621201
To steal @Rschub's analytical summary ... TLAR !

Good luck James !

-- kjh

EDIT: That Looks About Right

Looks Good Episode Six GIF by PBS

Update, semi-success.
Yesterday SCORE finally got some okayish weather to allow some rocket launches after the last 4-5 got canceled due to weather. I knew the wind was going to come up around midday so I prepared everything I could the night before in the hope to be on the pad around 9 am. I left the house a little later than planned so by the time I fully prepared and was on the pad it was around 9:45. The wind was around 15mph at ground level and higher at altitude. I was warned that I would fail certification if I drifted outside the recovery radius. With the I175 that I had on hand openrocket predicted that I would apogee at 6800ft, so it was pretty likely. However, I lowered the main deployment altitude and after waiting 2 months to launch I said F it.
The flight was near perfect. The rocket came out of the tower nicely and weathercocked slightly. Then flew very straight. According to the Raven, it experienced 7.6 rolls on accent, and it outperformed the sim by about 550ft, reaching an apogee of 7350ft according to both the altimeter and GPS. And hit a max velocity of 1095.65 ft/s which is really close to Mach 1 at this temp and altitude, however, I'm going to round and call it Mach 1. On the descent, it drifted quite a ways, and let's just say I didn't get the cert. Recovery was nominal, in hindsight, I would have flown without the drogue and with a small streamer because the decent on the drogue was 50ft/s and I think I could have gotten away with it faster. Overall I am really happy with how it went. Little disappointed that I didn't cert, but I wasn't surprised. Thanks to everyone at SCORE. They have always been super helpful and friendly. Also if you haven't picked up a featherweight GPS you should get one. The new app is fantastic and super easy to use. Attached is the onboard footage, and some footage of it coming off the rail.Screenshot 2024-03-03 163116.png
View attachment Thumb0006 - Trim (1).mp4
View attachment 20240302_094432 - Trim.mp4

I've never heard of a rule about needing to land within a given distance. If it had a nominal flight and was reflyable, you earned the cert.
Per Tripoli (and likely NAR has similar wording): "Rocket drifting outside the specified launch range" is one of the grounds for a non-cert flight.

VERY nice flight, @James Keller !

Sorry you were disqualified for your L1 but if my vote counts, I award you extra points for being a 'Steely-eyed Missle Man' and going for it, even with the wind !

Next time for sure !

-- kjh
Thanks!
I've never heard of a rule about needing to land within a given distance. If it had a nominal flight and was reflyable, you earned the cert.
The waiver was 5280ft cylinder, I landed about 6500ft away from the pad. I forget which code it violates but I'm not to bothered. I was going to fly on more L1 motors anyways so it's not a huge deal. Just a little bit of a hassle.

Going outside the FAA waiver cylinder is a party foul.

We all seem rather blase about it, must just be one of those pesky guidelines.
I mainly wanted to clarify why a distance requirement would apply. I admit to being a little too flippant—you’re right the FAA waiver cylinder is important.

Let's just say that it seems the box has corners that are very rounded.... As in, I intended to follow the rules, but 💩 happens. I am not picking on you specifically. "It landed outside the waiver" pops up occasionally in launch reports. I would guess that unless it becomes a pattern, things like this are tolerated.

Pirates Of The Caribbean Code GIF by Brian Benns

I am involved in a lot of esoteric hobbies. In some, the fear of bodily injury is a strong motivation to follow the rules. Scuba diving, flying, or keeping venomous reptiles, for instance. In others, flouting the rules is a badge of honor, bodily injury be damned, motorcycles spring to mind here.

As a noob, I am just trying to figure out where this hobby is at. So far, my conclusion is that it depends on who is enforcing the rules on any given day. I am curious and a bit nervous because this year I plan to attend a variety of launches outside my local 2 locations.

This seems like an activity where "one size fits all" rules come up short in a fair number of situations. Hopefully, it's all academic for me because I am trying to stay in the exact center of the box. 😇 I am not a fan of Will Wheaton and I think his rule was probably plagiarized, but I do try to follow it.

Let's just say that it seems the box has corners that are very rounded.... As in, I intended to follow the rules, but 💩 happens. I am not picking on you specifically. "It landed outside the waiver" pops up occasionally in launch reports. I would guess that unless it becomes a pattern, things like this are tolerated.

Pirates Of The Caribbean Code GIF by Brian Benns

I am involved in a lot of esoteric hobbies. In some, the fear of bodily injury is a strong motivation to follow the rules. Scuba diving, flying, or keeping venomous reptiles, for instance. In others, flouting the rules is a badge of honor, bodily injury be damned, motorcycles spring to mind here.

As a noob, I am just trying to figure out where this hobby is at. So far, my conclusion is that it depends on who is enforcing the rules on any given day. I am curious and a bit nervous because this year I plan to attend a variety of launches outside my local 2 locations.

This seems like an activity where "one size fits all" rules come up short in a fair number of situations. Hopefully, it's all academic for me because I am trying to stay in the exact center of the box. 😇 I am not a fan of Will Wheaton and I think his rule was probably plagiarized, but I do try to follow it.
That’s actually a pretty good question. In theory, I suppose that the FAA could pull the waiver of people repeatedly fly outside it. On the other hand, I don’t think I’ve even heard of the FAA taking notice of anyone doing that. And at my current launch site, I don’t know what the waiver radius is let alone how that maps to landmarks on the ground. I suppose that’s a question I should ask at the RSO table at the next launch.

Back