Another Pointless Poll

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your pet preference?

• Total voters
Dogs, cats, fish, snakes, turtles, birds, horses, cows, sheep and spiders and everything in between. Makes no difference to me. Like them all, have had them all at one point or another.
Had a raven that would talk to me, orb weavers we would pick a spider and get it to grow as large as we could by the end of summer.
Gopher snakes and even a rattler or two.
Fish, frogs and turtles. Fish from local ponds as well as frogs. Turtles were red ear sliders. Paid 50 cents for two of them. When I went off to college I passed them down to a neighbor girl. She had them all through high school and handed them over to one of the teachers. They were 35 years old and still going strong last time I asked, 15/20 years ago.
Living in the ‘burbs with limited space. Two cats. Mrs says “no dogs!”
When I had to put my Pom to sleep that about did Mrs in.

I like both cats and dogs, but don’t want pets at this point in my life. My wife and I like to travel and often get the opportunity to go on long trips, and I don’t feel it’s fair to pets to leave for that long.

Sometimes we say we have a 10% stake in a dog because when my sister-in-law takes a trip, her dog stays with us for a week or two at a time. That’s fun, and just about when the dog starts getting smelly, she goes home. Perfect!

My parents have cats, and I get a cat fix when I visit them. (And by “cat fix”, I mean I get to pet a cat, not that I get “fixed” like a cat.)

Early in my life, being in a house that had a cat got me wheezing. Touching the cat sent me to the ER
So I became a dog person.
My allergies have subsided so I can now handle cats, but I still prefer dogs

I prefer dogs, but cats are a little easier with traveling and crazy work hours. I have a cat on my lap right now and a dog laying by my feet. I'm a sucker for animals.

I like dogs when they are not incessantly barking or making messes in the house.

Far too many times in my life have other people's cats become my problem. At this point, I loathe cats, I loathe cat owners who let their cats roam around the neighborhood, and people who abandon cats and create populations of feral/stray cats should be executed.

I bothers me when I hear that someone lets their cat run. It seems to me they don't love their cat. I have heard far to many times, It's just a cat. I hear that a lot more often than, it's just a dog. I also don't understand the hatred that people have of cats. It doesn't make sense.

Growing up we had Siberian Huskies, then one day my dad, who said he didn't want a cat came home with a kitten. We had dogs and cats after that. When my wife and I got married we had cats, fish and ferrets. When we got orders for England a lady who lived on a farm took all the pets. We got letters from her for years telling us how they were doing. We brought 2 cats home when we left England. When we lost them we were devastated and said no more pets. Later we moved to Pahrump. There is a 5' fence around the property with rabbit guard fencing. So nothing was going to crawl in. One day I saw a cat. He wouldn't come to me. I saw him for three days in a row. I opened both garage doors and put a can of tuna out. When he came into the garage I closed the doors and he has never been outside again. Except to the vet. That was cat one. A couple months later we went to the shelter to get him some companions. We saw two cats that were bigger than kittens. A staff member told us that their mother wouldn't let them use the litter box or eat. They had been in a cage for 6 months. My wife and I said in unison, we'll take them. They were on the verge of being feral. It took a few years for them to trust us. It's all good now. A year and 8 months ago I started seeing a cat in the yard. We started feeding and watering it. After a month or so it would come within 6 feet of us. Then one day she showed up with five kittens. We looked at each other and said how are we going to catch six cats. While we were trying to find someone to help us fate stepped in. Two coyotes jumped over the fence. My wife saw them. We think a coyote grabbed a kitten and the mother went to save it. She was killed. We trapped the other four kittens. Now we have seven cats. When we go away for a few days one of our neighbors comes over twice a day to feed them and clean the litter boxes. If we are gone for longer than a couple of days we hire a lady to take care of our cats. So the cats own us.

I like dogs when they are not incessantly barking or making messes in the house.

Far too many times in my life have other people's cats become my problem. At this point, I loathe cats, I loathe cat owners who let their cats roam around the neighborhood, and people who abandon cats and create populations of feral/stray cats should be executed.
Sounds like the people are the problem, not the animals.

I also don't understand the hatred that people have of cats. It doesn't make sense.
Maybe it would make more sense if I told you that my dogs have been attacked by feral cats and one even attempted to attack my older daughter when she was very small. Thankfully the dog was on hand to defend her.

Sounds like the people are the problem, not the animals.
A little of column A, a little of column B. Irresponsible cat owners are part of the problem, the independent-minded nature of cats and the things they do when left alone is the other.

I get that some people like cats, and that's fine for those people as long as they keep their cats on their property. Almost all my experiences with cats have been extremely negative.

With my health and lifestyle what they now are, the two orange tabby feline rescue fellows currently sharing bed with me here, Georgie, 14 years old, at my left, and Grumman, 15 years old, at my right, are the right pets for me.
They have shared nearly their entire lives with me,
😺🥰😸
Dogs -- could tell tales for two hours about the two dogs of childhood; beagle Captain Mack, 'Macky', and then the rescue collie Brandy.
Ohh they were characters!
🐶🐶

A couple years ago,
Deformed foot with white toes is Grumman.

51.jpg

Last edited:
Dog, cats, rabbits, horses, chickens, cows, guinea pigs, parakeets, hermit crabs, sheep, fish, and a turtle... so far. Currently, 2 dogs and 2 cats, a turtle in the kitchen, and an aquarium in my office after losing a dog a cat in the last few years. I want another dog (and a cat), but my wife is holding out until we buy our retirement house so that we have more room (and when she will want horses).

Our agreement about pets and other animals when we were married was simply "no reptiles." That got broken when our son rescued a turtle from a puddle in the parking lot where he worked, but it was impossible to say "no" to a little guy the size of a nickel.

I like both dogs and cats, but fate sent me an allergy to both of them, unfortunately. I found out the hard way, namely, by living with them and having repeated bouts of bronchitis and pneumonia. Now I live with a bird and have no problems. So, I like them, but they don't seem to like me.

Dog, cats, rabbits, horses, chickens, cows, guinea pigs, parakeets, hermit crabs, sheep, fish, and a turtle... so far. Currently, 2 dogs and 2 cats, a turtle in the kitchen, and an aquarium in my office after losing a dog a cat in the last few years. I want another dog (and a cat), but my wife is holding out until we buy our retirement house so that we have more room (and when she will want horses).

Our agreement about pets and other animals when we were married was simply "no reptiles." That got broken when our son rescued a turtle from a puddle in the parking lot where he worked, but it was impossible to say "no" to a little guy the size of a nickel.
Oh, I forgot, our last college kid also had geckos and a dragon before he moved out.

every time you come thru the door your dog will act like you just got back from a 10 year sojourn. Dogs are the closest thing we have to unconditional love.
Walk thru the door and the cat will only care if it is going to demand something from you! Otherwise you're boring to them.

I bothers me when I hear that someone lets their cat run. It seems to me they don't love their cat. I have heard far to many times, It's just a cat. I hear that a lot more often than, it's just a dog. I also don't understand the hatred that people have of cats. It doesn't make sense.

Apparently, you've never had to clean wet nasty cat crap out of your carpet under a bed. You have to do that more than once, it'll change your understanding of cat haters. It might even turn you into one of us.

Akita brings to mind,

With great big dogs comes great responsibility | American Akita​

Poor Haru is super stressed in that video. Well behaved, though, and the groom looks great.

Akitas are mostly self cleaning. Our big guy's last bath was almost 9 years ago!

Attachments

• IMG_20240227_170037640.jpg
    IMG_20240227_170037640.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I enjoy all animals. I've had many species of pets. Didn't eat any of them.

I like other people's pets, because they pay the vet bills. Which are huge these days.

Done a lot of dog and cat sitting. They both seem to like me. And I enjoy them too.

That said, there's no place for feral cats. They are just urban terrorists. They kill all the birds. I'd like to eliminate all of them, and the demented fools that feed them. Their hearts are just misplaced.

Now we have seven
They just accumulate. My wife was up to, well we were up to, 6 at one time. But they don't last forever so we have one left. He doesn't have all of the traits of a normal cat. He's not a lap cat but he follows my wife around the house like a puppy and he's excited when we come home.

Apparently, you've never had to clean wet nasty cat crap out of your carpet under a bed. You have to do that more than once, it'll change your understanding of cat haters. It might even turn you into one of us.
Yes I have cleaned up vomit. But we have never in 42 years had a cat poo under a bed. Maybe the cats litter box was overfilled and it had to go somewhere else. Couldn't change my mind with a gun.

Back