Dual Deploy Poll - Drogue Chutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L1 and L2 Flights ONLY: I __________ use a drogue chute when flying dual deploy

• Never

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Rarely

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Usually

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Always

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
It depends on the size of the rocket and the conditions. I often go drogue-less with smaller rockets or run a streamer as a drogue to increase drag and improve visibility.
With bigger, heavier rockets I normally use a drogue.

I'd be interested in hearing how many use streamers for drogue on smaller L1 rockets. I've been thinking there's risk of it fouling the main due to length, but maybe that's overthinking.
An important function of a drogue, be it a chute or streamer is to be properly placed to separate your booster and upper into the classic inverted V descent pattern to prevent the main from fouling. Never had a issue with a streamer fouling a main

I'd be interested in hearing how many use streamers for drogue on smaller L1 rockets. I've been thinking there's risk of it fouling the main due to length, but maybe that's overthinking.
On my MPR that I built as a 'learning platform' for getting comfortable with altimeter initiated dual deployment (essentially an Estes Partizon with fins like those of a Darkstar 2.6, 770 grams all up sans motor), I did not use a drogue chute/streamer in the traditional sense, but did use a 12" square flameproof blanket tied to the lower kevlar harness, a few feet below the avionics bay.

It seems to act to stabilize the separated airframe on the descent from apogee, and the data from the Stratologger indicates a descent rate of about 50 ft/sec.

What @sharkbait said ...

I said ALWAYS because in my mind, a drogue STREAMER is still a drogue -- it's putpose is to help assure an orderly descent from apogee until the main is deployed.

But maybe that's not how the poll was intended ...

-- kjh

Back