Another glue question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregor

Reaction score
But not one I have seen before. All things being equal, which rocket would be heavier? The one which is built with wood glue or epoxy throughout. Would there be that much of a difference on a 3lb. rocket? Can you use would glue to make nice filets? Thanks all.

Edit: I'm assuming all wood to wood or at least cardboard gluing.

Cured wood glue is lighter than cured epoxy. On a 3lb rocket, it will make almost no difference. Wood glue, if applied correctly, makes perfectly fine fillets.

The fastest way to get as many posts and opinions as possible is to start a glue thread.

-Aaron

The fastest way to get as many posts and opinions as possible is to start a glue thread.

:rotflol::rotflol::lol::lol::cry::lol::lol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

But seriously....

How much weight you would ultimately save going with wood glue over epoxy would depend on how much glue you would intend to use in either case. *Could* be a significant difference in a 3 lb rocket, depending on your configuration.....

Can you use would glue to make nice filets? Thanks all.

If you want big size-able fillets I would tend to go with epoxy
or epoxy + filler . takes so many layers to build up wood glue and than I usually hit them with a sandable filler topcoat anyway to smooth them out

might as well do one application with epoxy + sandable filler

To answer your question about weight, the epoxy would be heavier.

Wood glues dry by evaporation and loose a goodly percentage of their weight (that's also why they shrink)

Epoxy glues dry (set) by curing (chemical reaction of hardener and resin) and do not loose weight when cured.

I have changed over to epoxy fillets on almost all of my rockets from low to mid power. I've never really thought that wood glue fillets add much strength and it takes to long to build them up so you don't get air pockets. I've gone to an epoxy microballoons mix to make the fillets. For most of the standard size fillets the amount of epoxy you have to use is so small the weight gain cannot even be noticed on my scale. The other advantage is epoxy is a one shot deal and your done. If you take your time and smooth them out they require almost no sanding to be ready for paint. They seem to add more strength to the joint over wood glue.

I just finished two Goblins, one has wood glue fillets, the other epoxy. Both of them weighed the same. The trick to epoxy is to use just what you need, because it can get heavy. However, with a good microballoon mixture you can keep the weight to a minimum.

The fastest way to get as many posts and opinions as possible is to start a glue thread.-Aaron

:rotflol::rotflol::rotflol::rotflol::lol::lol:

Man do you have that right Aaron!
I agree also with the statement that on a LMR (Large Model Rocket) up to 3.3lbs you'll not likely see Much of a weight savings, Personally, I do most of my fillets with 5 or 30 minute epoxy simply for the speed of cure. If not I use elmer's yellow carpenters glue over titebond or other brown wood glues as they seem to seperate more as they dry, leaving lots of holes to be filled.

If your building competition models that need to be really light weight, stay with wood glues, for sport models I really do most all the construction with yellow wood glues and the fillets with epoxy. I like to use the double glue joint method on all wood to wood or paper construction as the resulting joints are stronger then the material being bonded. This is particularly ture for motor mounts which take a lot of abuse and need that little bit of extra flexability of these woodglue bonds over epoxies.
In my case the use of epoxy fillets is more cosmetic then structural.

I have used J-B weld but then the entire rocket was glued up with J-B also.

I have been using carpenters wood filler for my fillets lately. The squeeze tube type is easy to use.

Back