An open thread about Estes Screamers and the like...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really liking my "Screamer Maximus" (BT-60 upscale). Sanded down the filled fins today and have filler on the cone; will sand tomorrow. Can't wait to fly this thing. Might be spring before I have a chance to...

Here are photos of the essentially complete family.

From left to right:

BT-5 original scale done in Testors Fiery Orange lacquer and black lacquer nose cone.
BT-20 upscale: my first attempt with water based acrylics. Createx Auto Air white with some coats of Auto Air candy orange over it. Valspar lacquer hi gloss clear overcoat. Auto Air black candy over white sealer for the nose.
BT-50 upscale: Createx Wicked Colors mix of yellow and red from their sampler pack, to make sort of a mercurochrome orange (more red than orange, oops, but looks cool). Black wicked colors on the nose. Overcoated with Valspar clear hi gloss lacquer.
BT-60 upscale: Wicked colors fluorescent sunburst orange (over Auto Air Sealer White). Nose cone is Wicked Colors pearl red fading to wicked colors black. Overcoated with the Valspar clear. Note I goofed on some decal placement so you don't see the Estes logo on this one.

Details on the acrylic finishing can be found at the thread on acrylics I started.

I still have plans to make a BT-55 but I'm a little bit bored with the shape now and am going to build something different for a while.

All decals were from Sandman at Excelsior! He did a fabulous job making and shipping them. For any beginners out there who are considering getting decals made, just email him! He's great to work with.

Screamer Family 00001.jpg

Eventually I will finish the interchangeable motor mount and possibly baffle in the BT-60 one. I wanted to make sure the finish came out OK before I put those in.

Marc

Last edited:
Well... three actually.

BT-20: minimum diameter 18mm. Check.
BT-50: minimum diameter 24 mm plus Quest D5 20mm with adaptor. Check.
BT-60: build with interchangeable motor mount (1x18, 1x24, 3x18). Check.

Maybe I'll also build a 4x13 mount... might be kind of fun to make the equivalent of a C40-3 engine using 4x A10-3T... though the delay would be too short.

I think you can get 7 13mm motors into a BT-60! Four will fit nicely in a BT-55. :wink:

Back