• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Almost Lost My Brand New Altimeter 2.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegillbronco2

Reaction score
Today I decided to test my brand new Jolly Logic Altimeter 2 that I got for my Birthday. I chose the Estes Amazon for the maiden flight of the payload. So I went to my local park and decided to launch on one side of the field( the side were the wind{5-10mph} was coming from) to allow drift. I even gave it a little tilt into the wind but nothing over 5 degrees. Turns out the amazon does not drift very far even in wind. And it got stuck in a tree in the worst possible place. The tree it was in was completely surrounded by very thick brush, most of witch was thorn vines( I hate Texas plants) I was not going to go home without my altimeter so I powered through the thorns and climbed the tree to get my rocket. I recovered the rocket, altimeter, and data so a mission success. But I also got a bunch of scratches. It looks like I got into a fight with a mob of cats XD. So I guess my message to you is that the Estes Amazon does NOT drift very far in wind.
20160815_140536.jpg20160815_131222.jpg20160815_140709.jpg

Ok, I'll bite. How high did it go?:confused2::tongue: Kurt

Apogee: 212 ft
Top Speed: 61 mph
Thrust Time:2.48 sec
Peak Acceleration: 6.36 g
Average Acceleration: 1.16 g
Coast to Apogee. 2.3 sec
Apogee to ejection Time: 1.1 sec
Ejection Altitude: 200 ft
Decent Rate: 9 mph
Flight Duration: 19.2 sec

Something does not seem right with the data. I have confidence that the data is correct... But the Amazon is supposed to have a max altitude of 500 ft according to Estes.... and I used a C6-5 witch is supposed to burn for 1.8 sec... not 2.48. And I did notice some left over fuel in the motor after recovery. The same happened to the other C6-5 from the same pack. I have one more so I will test it to see if its a faulty pack of motors.

I have a gut feeling the wind was a bit higher than you guesstimated, and as you angled your rocket into the wind, perhaps a bit more than your thought, the rocket weather-cocked into the wind so it did not achieve the altitude you expected.

Back