Air Band Radio

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadManCF

Reaction score
Does anyone here listen to the Air Band(108-137Mhz) at launches? It seems like it would be a good idea, the ATIS and AWOS frequencies would provide useful weather information that would be hard to get otherwise, and listening to the aircraft communications could be informative also.

I have an app on my phone (AirWX) which gives me the current aviation weather, which includes cloud ceilings. Quite handy, as it tells me what altitude the clouds are at.

-Kevin

I have an app on my phone (AirWX) which gives me the current aviation weather, which includes cloud ceilings. Quite handy, as it tells me what altitude the clouds are at.

-Kevin

I've gotten into the habit of calling up the AWOS at a nearby airport, for the same info. I just got a Yaesu FT 60, which can recieve the airband, among other things. I prefer the radio, because it's free, you don't have to rely on cell coverage, and as far as I can tell, none of the airports near our launch site make their ATIS accessible by phone.

Back