Kit chutes too small

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go up to Hartsel with Tripoli Colorado at 8800 feet elevation and it gets even worse! Everywhere the rockets are flying higher and coming down faster. Same when launching at the SLV gravel pit in Alamosa. Where is the thick, humid air of the East Coast? Where is the soft green green grass of home to land on? Where are the rocket eating trees? Where are the bugs and skeeters? Where are the cloudy skies?

Mr.Greeley told this young man to GO WEST. Now I am a Space Cowboy. YIKES! Take me home, country road. But then the big critters show up at the launch and they only like the BIG MOTORS!
View attachment 609465
Don't pet the fluffy cows.

Everything from popped off fins to broken fins and bent body tubes.

Materials are almost always whatever came in the kit, and I usually use the adhesives recommended in the kit instructions unless I know better (like staying away from CA in any use that will be subject to shocks). I double glue and fillet my fins, usually with epoxy putty.

One modification I almost always make is to put a spill hole in the chute. It's small, though, just the size printed on the chute, so it doesn't speed up the descent much — but it does reduce any impact from wildly swinging under an unstable chute.

I've had fins come off both through the wall and surface mounted. I've had thick balsa fins that cracked or broke. (I'm not counting the inevitable dings, dents wnd chips here, I mean legitimate big cracks or chunks broken off.)

It seems when I strengthen the build, the damage moves from simple repairs (popped fin) to more complex repairs (broken fin, damaged tubes). But when I make the chute a little bit bigger, the problem goes away.

In short, I believe that my construction techniques are superior to what Estes should be expecting from the average kid building one of their kits with no guidance other than the instructions. And even that kid would be reasonable to expect their rocket to survive landing. (Which they probably can, if they live below 5000' elevation. And compared to lower elevations, hardly anyone lives up here.)

For what it's worth, I didn't have this problem flying from 4000’ as a kid in the 1970’s. I'm pretty sure my building techniques now are better, not worse! Which is why I thought it must be that the chutes are too small for the thin air, but found that surprising since the kit companies themselves are at high elevations. It makes sense though for them to design for the vast number of people at lower elevations rather than a handful of people who live in the mountains.
You must seek out the knowledge and techniques that will set you on the path to less damage. However, there is the harsh reality that rockets break and get beat up with use, even with big Estes chutes at altitude. So frustrating for this Youngling. Always repairing rockets!

The Master Jedi (Levels Two and Three) give me hard lessons and tell me many ancient and modern durability secrets. Then I go crazy with modifications and bullet proof my birds. The Masters warn me that too much bulletproofing will put me on the path to the Dark Side...but I just can't take the damage after soooo much work on building and finishing! HELP ME OBI-WAN KENOBI! YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE!

Then, after a time, I finally realized repair work could be fun. But it was too late for me, having spent way too much time in the oddroc cantinas after the launch.

Before I fly any rocket for the first time I picture it as a burning pile of goo on the high Prairie. If I can not live with the vision, then I don't push the button, but, I have always pushed the button. Mostly Triumph! But sometimes total failure. A long recovery walk and return carrying a shattered dream. Head down low, embarrassment walking by the Masters. A good cry back in the cab of the truck. Bootstrap time.

I find that I make most of my LPR kits' parachutes smaller, add spills holes or use the one provided in the kit (and keep it stock) even though the kit ends up being 50% - 110% heavier than it "should" be. But I launch in a small, grassy field, so I need fast descent times to avoid feeding the trees.

Yes, this was a "what's up with this?" question, not a "I need help solving a problem" question.
Yeah, I ask Estes "Whats up with all these 24mm CATOS and lack of ejection charges?" Alas, I haven't heard an answer and my rockets are sure not going up or are becoming core samples when they do. :(

Darn it Estes!

What do you mean by 'benefit of stability'?
A swinging rocket is likely to hit the ground harder than one that's not swinging. I've also read that as a chute without a spill hole tips, it dumps a lot of air at once, allowing for much more speed until it fills up with air again.

So without a spill hole, the rocket's speed at impact depends where it is in its swing, and where it is in the chute's fill-dump-fill cycle.

Last edited:
I find that I make most of my LPR kits' parachutes smaller, add spills holes or use the one provided in the kit (and keep it stock) even though the kit ends up being 50% - 110% heavier than it "should" be. But I launch in a small, grassy field, so I need fast descent times to avoid feeding the trees.
What's your site elevation?

A siwnging rocket is likely to hit the ground harder than one that's not swinging. I've also read that as a chute without a spill hole tips, it dumps a lot of air at once, allowing for much more speed until it fills up with air again.

So without a spill hole, the rocket's speed at impact depends where it is in its swing, and where it is in the chute's fill-dump-fill cycle.
Interesting. I'm not familiar with those theories.

You must seek out the knowledge and techniques that will set you on the path to less damage. However, there is the harsh reality that rockets break and get beat up with use, even with big Estes chutes at altitude. So frustrating for this Youngling. Always repairing rockets!

The Master Jedi (Levels Two and Three) give me hard lessons and tell me many ancient and modern durability secrets. Then I go crazy with modifications and bullet proof my birds. The Masters warn me that too much bulletproofing will put me on the path to the Dark Side...but I just can't take the damage after soooo much work on building and finishing! HELP ME OBI-WAN KENOBI! YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE!

Then, after a time, I finally realized repair work could be fun. But it was too late for me, having spent way too much time in the oddroc cantinas after the launch.

Before I fly any rocket for the first time I picture it as a burning pile of goo on the high Prairie. If I can not live with the vision, then I don't push the button, but, I have always pushed the button. Mostly Triumph! But sometimes total failure. A long recovery walk and return carrying a shattered dream. Head down low, embarrassment walking by the Masters. A good cry back in the cab of the truck. Bootstrap time.
Post launch repair means it's time for Rocket Hospital. A place of contemplative recuperation.

That thread seems crystal clear that your spill chutes are increasing the descent rate significantly (check the chart in @lakeroadster's post in particular. It seems like you're spending a lot of time trying to resolve a problem with a very simple solution.

I have the opposite problem. If I use the chute the kit comes with my rockets float away, and often wind up in trees or lost in the brush, and then become almost un-locatable. I'm in NJ and we launch at or near sea-level, but we have strong winds on some days, so I am forced to 'under chute' my rockets and go at least one-size smaller.

But I also need to say that I've had much better luck with nylon chutes than the estes plastic ones. I've even purchased a 9" nylon for some of my smaller rockets. For example, the Goblin normally comes down on a streamer, but there's effectively no difference between a streamer and a 9" chute as my Goblin is a little heavier than stock due to the way I built it.

I don't mind the occasional snapped fin because the alternative is that I lose the rocket entirely. Too big a chute and the rocket doesn't come back. But if I were you, I'd buy a few different nylon chutes, put some kind of quick disconnect system on them, and fly them and take notes on what works best for a particular weight'ed rocket.

Don't pet the fluffy cows.
Mid-South Rocket Society in Memphis has Rocket Eating Trees, crops, tall cotton, bugs and all sorts of critters. They even have Fluffy Cows, which if you land in their pen, the park rangers have to let you in. Don’t bring your roller skates as you know what they say.

No, it was George Barnes IV. I missed that day the critters came by to inquire about a Junior Level one. More of George's photos for your entertainment.
View attachment 609476
View attachment 609478
View attachment 609479
The Great White Bison came by to RSO the EX O motor launch. Looked over the propellant mix formula and commented "GOOD MEDICINE. "

Been to rocket launches from one side of the State to the other. Seen a lot of strange things. But nothing that would tell me a descent calculator on my fancy phone will tell me the right chute size to prevent landing damage up here in South Park.
Spherachutes.com has a Descent-Rate-Chart for Sea Level, 5,000' and 10,000' using their chutes.

https://spherachutes.com/pages/decent-rate-chart

Vendors often tell you to upsize your chute if you fly at higher elevations. I seem to recall that some vendors even offered a larger chute at purchase specifically for higher elevations.

Spherachutes.com has a Descent-Rate-Chart for Sea Level, 5,000' and 10,000' using their chutes.

https://spherachutes.com/pages/decent-rate-chart
Thank you, that's excellent data. It looks like the same chute is recommended for about 20% more weight at sea level compared to 5000 feet. So if I assume any kit chute is designed for sea level, I should be able to make one about 20% bigger (by area; 10% bigger across) and expect it to perform well at 5500'.
Vendors often tell you to upsize your chute if you fly at higher elevations. I seem to recall that some vendors even offered a larger chute at purchase specifically for higher elevations.
That's good to know. I haven't run across it, but that's excellent customer service. (And it confirms for me that elevation really does make a big enough difference to need a bigger chute.)

Back