Aerotek vs Estes: 24MM Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go start flying R/C airplanes and the let her see the price increase 10X or more money ; and when a nice plane crashes and also takes out your electronics and Glow Engine, even more $$$

I am a Life AMA member for RC airplanes simply because we have a AMA flying field here and I figgured about 2 decades ago a life membership would pay off in retirement even to just go out an watch or fly a easy plane maybe.

Man, talk about a trip down memory lane! I'd just joined! And how the #(&$#&*! is it FOUR YEARS? I wasn't sure how to do everything... look at the support I got! I owe a few "thumbs up" for old times' sake!

Annnd, err, how is the Aerotech vs Estes 24 mm thing going? In the in-between, hasn't Estes identified and corrected a problem with their E's? I remember even then, anticipating retirement, that I'd get an Aerotech 24/40 case and be able to go full "F" impulse in the same space as an Estes "E"... still haven't done it. Aerotech has made good on some Quest 18 mm D's I had with bad nozzles, but @Art Upton has some single use Aerotech E's blow apart... My little bitty bit of rocketry can't suffer much loss, my wife already thinks its a dumb choice for a hobby (lotsa trees here in Western PA...)

Still do not fly any Estes E motor in the cold [I wont even fly D12s in the cold] , even the upgraded ones. The E15 and E30s are the old school AT 24mm Single Use designs, current ones are made with different materials now.

In the early 70s the D motor was a D13, later called the D13 KABOOM. A cartoon showed that in 1999 a rocket motor dump on the far side of the moon stored D13s to keep them away from earth. Then the Bad Engine Dump Exploded and sent the Moon out of Earth Orbit and the space station there was now stranded in Deep Space, Space 1999...

After working all summer Break on my Estes Maxi-Brute Honest John; a D13-3 Kaboom ripped apart my rocket. 2 years later I build another one and used the FSI F100 Upgrade to use E60s and F100 motors in it.

About 3 more years later F100s became known as KABOOM motors as George Roos was no longer pressing them and the FSI guys didn't have his "knack" to the making of them.

Last edited:
Go start flying R/C airplanes and the let her see the price increase 10X or more money ; and when a nice plane crashes and also takes out you electronics and Glow Engine, even more $$$
Oh, I know, I know... as a matter of fact, the reason I got into rocketry as a kid is because my dad was a tightwad. I wanted to do RC planes back then, but he thought they were too expensive. And we were going to the moon....

My dear heart, as good as she is, has a really REALLY hard time spending money on something that is not capital goods. $14,000 on new windows? No problem. $14.00 for a meal at a restaurant, or a round of mini golf - what a waste of money! What are they thinking charging that much? That rocket motor costs $4.00? REALLY?! for it to go up in the air and come back down a minute later?

But I'm working on her. It's really sad to me because I know where it comes from. But that's probably a bit too personal for right here.

Many times Life Experiences are better then Capital Goods. So if you take a luxury vaction in Warm Weather in the winter, is that a waste of money if your still in your prime years?

Retirees try to find warm places to live, and my Kids have a Condo in FLA and plan to sell their business and home here and stay down there for good.

PS: but this weekend they are finding even COLD snaps can happen in FLA, they are having Falling Iguanas out of trees now. But since the large Lizards are not possible to move, seems they are better then Drop Bears in the land of OZ 😂

Last edited:
Many times Life Experiences are better then Capital Goods. So if you take a luxury vaction in Warm Weather in the winter, is that a waste of money if your still in your prime years?

Retirees try to find warm places to live, and my Kids have a Condo in FLA and plan to sell their business and home here and stay down there for good.

PS: but this weekend they are finding even COLD snaps can happen in FLA, they are having Falling Iguanas out of trees now. But since they are not possible to move, seems they are better then Drop Bears in the land of OZ 😂
You're preaching to the choir, Art! And as new retirees, we're certainly still able to enjoy a beach... except she's real self-conscious and doesn't swim well... Criminee, if it was me I'd take us on the Vomit Comet (or at least go myself!), I've been to almost every state and 14 countries in my work and I can't get the poor soul to do much beyond a few local trips. I have airline miles and hotel points, I'm like c'mon! Let's go while we can!

Oh, I know, I know... as a matter of fact, the reason I got into rocketry as a kid is because my dad was a tightwad. I wanted to do RC planes back then, but he thought they were too expensive. And we were going to the moon....

My dear heart, as good as she is, has a really REALLY hard time spending money on something that is not capital goods. $14,000 on new windows? No problem. $14.00 for a meal at a restaurant, or a round of mini golf - what a waste of money! What are they thinking charging that much? That rocket motor costs $4.00? REALLY?! for it to go up in the air and come back down a minute later?

But I'm working on her. It's really sad to me because I know where it comes from. But that's probably a bit too personal for right here.
I feel your pain ... sounds exactly like my wife, Steph ... :rolleyes:

I feel your pain ... sounds exactly like my wife, Steph ... :rolleyes:
Yeah, she's fine with $5 bag at Wendy's, for the 3 of us (we have an autistic son), we can all eat for $15.90 (tax in PA)... and we buy those key tags so then we get a free junior Frosty. But we're wandering off-topic, PM me if you want to compare notes!

Back