Aerotech responds to Jethitch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fine. Just ask yourself if your whole company should be fired because of one bad decision. We need more vendors, not fewer.

This I agree with. Be care what you wish for guys. California may only have a single vendor.

And we all could need to get LEUP's and be regulated again

OK. Many of you are very passionate about this and better informed than I. Has anyone besides the OP written to AT and expressed these feelings? I guarantee that concerned letters from AT customers (the more the better) will be much more effective than an impromptu boycott from this forum. And you'll give AT the chance to make it right. Unless you all just enjoy trashing a company for sport...in which case, carry on, it's a free internet.

Yes, been trading email with Gary since last night.

OK. Many of you are very passionate about this and better informed than I. Has anyone besides the OP written to AT and expressed these feelings? I guarantee that concerned letters from AT customers (the more the better) will be much more effective than an impromptu boycott from this forum. And you'll give AT the chance to make it right. Unless you all just enjoy trashing a company for sport...in which case, carry on, it's a free internet.

I'm a bit new to this hobby to know any of these people personally, and, I imagine, a bit young to be taken seriously by many, but I did send them an email through their contact form, expressing my opinions in a strong, but respectful, manner. I agree, the more response they get the more likely they'll be to change their mind.

Nate

Agreed. I am still going to burn AT because I like them. Besides, it nows seems a good way to instantly become peculiar.

Aw shoot, no need to buy AT just to be deemed "peculiar".

Wall Street Journal Reports Hobby
Rocketry's Struggle With Government Regulations

May 8, 2004 - Friday's edition of the Wall Street Journal ran a story that summarized the on going battle between rocket hobbyists and the Department of Justice and ATFE over Government regulations. The article mentions that the classification of ammonium perchlorate composite propellant (APCP) as an explosive is at the core of the problem. Reporter Robert Block also mentioned the ATFE tests at Hill AFB with hobby rockets and summarized the contention by hobbyists that their activities are not dangerous to the nation. He also mentioned in the article that some hobbyists are turning to amateur rocketry with home made motors to escape ATFE permit requirements.

The Wall Street Journal article reveals the attitude of some federal law enforcement officials towards the hobbyist with a quote. "Most of the people involved in these activities are harmless fanatics and nerds," says one federal law-enforcement official. "But since 9/11, we have a responsibility to make sure the nerds are not terrorists."

It's only the Nanny State. Don't worry, be happy.

And in a similar vein Browning Firearms Co. announced the public sale of fender mounts for their M2 50 Cal. Machinegun along with ammo belt guides that will fit most popular makes and models of Pickup Trucks and SUVs.

Raytheon; makers of the famous Tomahawk cruise missile, has announced collapsible launch rails that fit in the beds of all. . .

The Atomic Energy Commission. . .

And in a similar vein Browning Firearms Co. announced the public sale of fender mounts for their M2 50 Cal. Machinegun along with ammo belt guides that will fit most popular makes and models of Pickup Trucks and SUVs.

Raytheon; makers of the famous Tomahawk cruise missile, has announced collapsible launch rails that fit in the beds of all. . .

I'm holding out for an Orion drive for my F-150!

Those are good things that don't have any effect on our hobby.
I'm all for abolishing the NFA and having to pay for a $200 Tax Stamp for buying things like flamethrowers and machineguns, but I don't want my "Non-weapon" hobbies to end up regulated like my "Weapon hobbies".

Keep it civil...

I really think they're getting everything they deserve here. Whatever the actual intent, this stunt was ill conceived, and poorly executed.

I said that in regards to an over-the-top personal attack message with foul language in it .... which has since been removed.

Last edited:
Give Charlie credit for making himself available. Those of you who might still be on the fence about your "one-strike-and-out" policy should check out the thread.

Strike two was the answer to my question that the 38mm was going to go all RMS-EZ only, that mean I will most likely be flying 18 to 29mm AT and switching my 38mm to Loki. Don't get me wrong I love AT products is a bummer that the one I just invested the most in is changing in a direction that I'm not willing to go.

Can someone tell me what Jet Hitch is? I googled it but all it had was boating stuff that has nothing to do with rockets.

Can someone tell me what Jet Hitch is? I googled it but all it had was boating stuff that has nothing to do with rockets.

Jet Hitch was a bad idea about being able to mount a 54/75/98mm disposable motor in to a vehicles receiver hitch (trailer hitch) for "special effects". I think I posted the PDF for the instructions in an earlier post you can see what it is there.

Strike two was the answer to my question that the 38mm was going to go all RMS-EZ only, that mean I will most likely be flying 18 to 29mm AT and switching my 38mm to Loki. Don't get me wrong I love AT products is a bummer that the one I just invested the most in is changing in a direction that I'm not willing to go.

That I do not understand- for a single closure, which allows faster assembly, you are going to stop flying motors you admittedly like?

special effect? I think a M/N motor has enough push to give the vehicle a good kick... If they wanted a special effect they can get a pyro company to do that.

I just assembled my first EZ Reload and it is pretty convenient. The deeper well allows you to easily add extra black powder. So assuming the delay is accurate, it seems like an improvement. I will see tomorrow when I fly it. I will have to get an extra retaining ring for my 2nd set of 38 mm closures with my next Balsa Machining order. The new packaging is a plus since it protects the fragile phenolic liner. I am not sure how it can be done with 29 mm reloads without sacrificing hazmat free shipping but should work fine for 54 mm ones.

Last edited:
I just heard about this today at the WOOSH Bong launch. I just could not believe AT would try something like this. Are they really that hard up for money. After all the work fighting the BATFE for the right to fly and buy motors now someone with in the hobby wants to do something like fire motors from cars. Hope AT has some very good insurance. Most cars gas tank is very close to the hitch area. There is no way I would think Carl would go along with this.

There is nothing stopping bubba from strapping a rocket motor to his truck. The regulation on certifications to buy motors are self imposed by the hobby community not the government. Granted they are opening them self up for a law suit and I really don't see them selling.

Wrong, gubment regulated. Where you been hiding? The very first catalog I got in the mail in 1989 when I joined this funfest said, and I quote. Who may purchase and use high power rocket motors? Answer: Members of the United States Military, colleges and universities engaged in research, and members of a certifying authority(TRA/NAR}. I understand that to be current law unless things have changed over the years.

Given my investment in Dr. Rocket's hardware in 29 and 38mm, it would bother me if the only reloads available from AT were the DMS ones.

My Dr. Rocket's cases and closures would then form the basis of a very ornate and EXPENSIVE set of wind chimes.

That I do not understand- for a single closure, which allows faster assembly, you are going to stop flying motors you admittedly like?

Yeah,
I don't understand this either. The RMS-EZ is simple and easy to adjust the delay. Your first reload comes with a free new closure and delay drill tool, so no big expense there.
I encourage you to try them before you dismiss them.

Adrian

old_dude, I'm going to play grammar nazi! Referring to reloads and DMS(disposable motor system) is kinda not right, yes? That may not have come out right but I think you get the jist of it!

old_dude, I'm going to play grammar nazi! Referring to reloads and DMS(disposable motor system) is kinda not right, yes?
I yield to your grammar nazism. I didn't speak clearly. From the context, one could infer that I was concerned about losing the ability to stuff reloads in my Dr. Rocket's hardware if both the standard reload and RMS-EZ product lines were eliminated.

I'm also okay with the DMS product line as I have no 54mm hardware nor would I need to buy any unless I wanted a specific motor not offered in DMS.

Yeah,
I don't understand this either. The RMS-EZ is simple and easy to adjust the delay. Your first reload comes with a free new closure and delay drill tool, so no big expense there.
I encourage you to try them before you dismiss them.

Adrian

For the record the only single piece I don't have to fly RMS-EZ is the Universal Delay Drilling Tool (which isn't expensive even if I have to buy it, if its free so much the better).

I am fully aware that the Forward Closure Ring from the 38mm RAS is one of the Forward Closures that can be used with the RMS-EZ

The reason I don't want to fly the RMS-EZ's is that I LIKE assembling the regular reloads since it requires paying attention to what I am doing,the same reason I build rockets the way I do, I like doing complicated (or not simple) things right the first time.

If I wanted to fly CTI type reloads then I would have bought CTI hardware and reloads, IMO RMS-EZ now is inferior to CTI simply due to the fact that CTI motors light so much easier without special tricks like hopped up igniters to guarantee they light first shot every time.

The only thing AT RMS-EZ reloads have over CTI reloads is AT makes better hardware In My Opinion.

I usually only get two of my own flights in per day which won't change anytime soon since I fly on a budget and I do nearly all the prep work for my two of my three children's rockets (ages 6,4, and 4 months), they are just getting started in rocketry.

Did I mention I like assembling all the parts of a standard RMS reload???

Please understand I am not offended by everyone's comments and am open to discussion, a I also am not the type to hold a grudge, once I have had my say its forgotten (its my opinion and you <whoever, not specifically you Adrian> isn't changing it).

For the record the only single piece I don't have to fly RMS-EZ is the Universal Delay Drilling Tool (which isn't expensive even if I have to buy it, if its free so much the better).

I am fully aware that the Forward Closure Ring from the 38mm RAS is one of the Forward Closures that can be used with the RMS-EZ

The reason I don't want to fly the RMS-EZ's is that I LIKE assembling the regular reloads since it requires paying attention to what I am doing,the same reason I build rockets the way I do, I like doing complicated (or not simple) things right the first time.

If I wanted to fly CTI type reloads then I would have bought CTI hardware and reloads, IMO RMS-EZ now is inferior to CTI simply due to the fact that CTI motors light so much easier without special tricks like hopped up igniters to guarantee they light first shot every time.

The only thing AT RMS-EZ reloads have over CTI reloads is AT makes better hardware In My Opinion.

I usually only get two of my own flights in per day which won't change anytime soon since I fly on a budget and I do nearly all the prep work for my two of my three children's rockets (ages 6,4, and 4 months), they are just getting started in rocketry.

Please understand I am not offended by everyone's comments and am open to discussion, a I also am not the type to hold a grudge, once I have had my say its forgotten (its my opinion and you <whoever, not specifically you Adrian> isn't changing it).

Valid points and understood. Just offering a second to what was said earlier. I too had no problems with the RMS Plus and thought they were a good improvement compared to the earlier design. The one benefit of the new EZ delay assembly is it's quicker to recycle a case and fly again (no forward closure to clean, or to get the black powder out of that pesky delay hole). I think I still have some reloads that are pre- RMS Plus. I fly both AT and CTI. I pick motors based on what color propellant or size case I want to fly. I don't have any snap ring cases (yet :wink: ), so no Loki or EX for me for a while.

Adrian

I don't think this makes it a cti style motor. You still have to put the orings in place and add your black powder. Cti is drop in case.

Back