Aerotech responds to Jethitch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimzcatz

Boss, Carolina Rocket Mafia
Reaction score
Posted with permission from Gary.

I emailed Gary as I was having a hard time believing it. His response follows-

"
Hi Mark,
The Jet Hitch product was originally targeted for the vehicular exhibition industry (monster trucks, jet boats) but we wanted to see what the initial interest would be among the public and also gather some initial feedback from the Rocketry community.*
Our General Manager, Charlie Savoie (forum username ATGM), will be on the forum tomorrow to answer questions about not only the Jet Hitch products but also other concerns regarding AeroTech. This includes such issues as the website, catalog and hardware. We are aware of the issues and we are listening to the hobby rocketry community. In the meantime we are monitoring social media and the forum for as much feedback as possible. The jet hitch store can be accessed but purchasing is disabled. No jet hitch motors have been sold.*

Please feel free to post this message in its entirety or paraphrase it if you see fit. Charlie will be online at 12 noon MST.

Gary Rosenfield
Survival Laser, Inc."

Mark Koelsch

It's "One Strike You're Out" in my book when it comes to matters like this.
Sorry Aerotech, even suggesting such a thing shows a lack of responsibility and calls into question all of your other practices.
I will no longer be risking my rocketry activities on your products.

ETA: From what is happening with the other thread where they joined the forum and addressed our concerns, I have changed my mind about them and WILL continue to buy there products and wear my AT Hat.:)

Last edited:
Considering the fireworks market has that entirely covered, for much less and much better display.....

And they listed thrustcurves, and classified the motors with rocketry terms... and the burn profile doesn't fit a "display" profile.....

and they used hobby rocketry motor mount sizes....

Oh, and the only people who know about it? Rocket fliers. Big release and I don't see any push into the pryo world going on.

I'm not buying it.

I smell rottin sulfer all over this one.
If it was intended for Monster Trucks, they wouldn't have a free site with purchasing power to the general public.
Someone has their head up their own keaster so far they tickle their throat when they blink.

Done with Aerotech switching over to CTI and LOKI. Cant support Aerotech after this.

Maybe this is the plan.... AT can't get hardware made... so they're going to buy it at cut rates on the yard sale when we all go dump it tomorrow.

How long until there is Opentruck instead of Openrocket for doing Sims???

Unless their response is something along the lines of "Yeah, this was a stupid idea and it's now dead", they will be losing a metric crap-ton of business from the rocketry community.

Seriously, how much time has Greg Gleason put into the file found here https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?125530-AeroTech-Motor-Data, and these knuckle heads are spending time on this stupidity? Now we know why they have such an unwieldy website, out of date catalog, etc. They can't use the "it takes time/effort to put this together" excuse. Scott Kormeier runs Loki single-handed and has a far better website with much more information.

This makes me happy I bought 54mm Loki hardware and not AT.

Unless their response is something along the lines of "Yeah, this was a stupid idea and it's now dead", they will be losing a metric crap-ton of business from the rocketry community.

Seriously, how much time has Greg Gleason put into the file found here https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?125530-AeroTech-Motor-Data, and these knuckle heads are spending time on this stupidity? Now we know why they have such an unwieldy website, out of date catalog, etc. They can't use the "it takes time/effort to put this together" excuse. Scott Kormeier runs Loki single-handed and has a far better website with much more information.

This makes me happy I bought 54mm Loki hardware and not AT.

We should do a "Go Fund Me" thing to get LOKI Certified for NAR and Tripoli, to show that our Hobby will not tolerate Stupid.
I'de kick a fiver their way if it would mean that they would make some cool motors.
Perhaps they could even bring back SU 13mm Composites and the like, creating an entirely new Niche.

Breaking Mach on a 13mm? Has it been done?

Last edited:
Loki is certified for use at NAR and TRA launches. Except for Kalifornia.

They know it's May 15th, and not April 1st, right? Holy crap can you imagine the regulation of everything AP that is going to come after a few people get charged in "hey fellas watch this...hold my beer" type stunts. This is some of the most rediculously reckless stupidity I've ever seen. That isn't an exaggeration, this in nuts, genuinely nuts!

All this negative ranting...

If I had the spare $ I'd buy a bunch. I think AT has had good products, and look forward to burning up a lot more money in the future with them.

All this negative ranting...

If I had the spare $ I'd buy a bunch. I think AT has had good products, and look forward to burning up a lot more money in the future with them.

Agreed. I am still going to burn AT because I like them. Besides, it nows seems a good way to instantly become peculiar.

There is nothing stopping bubba from strapping a rocket motor to his truck. The regulation on certifications to buy motors are self imposed by the hobby community not the government. Granted they are opening them self up for a law suit and I really don't see them selling.

No offense but you guys are getting way too torqued up over this thing. You're basically saying you'd like to see one of the hobby's key vendors starve to death because of a questionable marketing decision which it sees like they are already backing away from.

Oh-My

No I don't think people are over reacting. Just think of our "sue crazy" world. This is a really bad idea. Think of it. Yes anybody can buy a large rocket motor but you have to have a cert number for the reputable vendor, and you have to prove your cert level at a launch.

Having folks driving around with live 54mm "K" motor strapped to their bumpers is so insanely bad...I don't know where to begin. The first time an incident makes national news....is the beginning of the end. I am not kidding. This is just the crap the BATF if waiting for.Think about it. People with big rocket motors on their cars....in the news....just the kind of thing that is just great for the hobby. You all better start getting LEUP's folks....here we go.

p.s. Yes....CTI it is from now on.

There is nothing stopping bubba from strapping a rocket motor to his truck. The regulation on certifications to buy motors are self imposed by the hobby community not the government. Granted they are opening them self up for a law suit and I really don't see them selling.

Exactly. We don't want Bubba doing something stupid and getting the government involved regulating our hobby again.

Last edited:
Oh-My

No I don't think people are over reacting. Just think of our "sue crazy" world. This is a really bad idea. Think of it. Yes anybody can buy a large rocket motor but you have to have a cert number for the reputable vendor, and you have to prove your cert level at a launch.

Having folks driving around with live 54mm "K" motor strapped to their bumpers is so insanely bad...I don't know where to begin. The first time an incident makes national news....is the beginning of the end. I am not kidding. This is just the crap the BATF if waiting for.Think about it. People with big rocket motors on their cars....in the news....just the kind of thing that is just great for the hobby. You all better start getting LEUP's folks....here we go.

p.s. Yes....CTI it is from now on.

Fine. Just ask yourself if your whole company should be fired because of one bad decision. We need more vendors, not fewer.

No- I am "firing" a company because the company (many people) is being reckless. Gary is not the only one who knows much about rocketry....I think he should listen to the wisdom of his rocketry community. Any group should be self correcting. I am not going to drop somebody over a bad idea.....but some things, some actions can be REALLY bad....this is one of them. It is not personal. I love this hobby to much (I think many do) to not say anything. I am trying to voice, like others that this is a bad move. Gary would have wisdom and respect if he would listen to the people who give him money for his products....on a regular basis.

And yes I have fired a guy for one bad decision.....it was a really bad decision (action on his part) that was a liability to my company, so yes, I canned him. Because if I didn't fire him....my customer would have fired all of us.

When a decision is so insanely idiotic then yes, they need to go.

OK. Many of you are very passionate about this and better informed than I. Has anyone besides the OP written to AT and expressed these feelings? I guarantee that concerned letters from AT customers (the more the better) will be much more effective than an impromptu boycott from this forum. And you'll give AT the chance to make it right. Unless you all just enjoy trashing a company for sport...in which case, carry on, it's a free internet.

Yes people have expressed their concern on AT's Facebook page and those posts were deleted by AT. Even if it was done as a joke, it's hugely irresponsible to suggest that people strap rocket motors to the back of their vehicles.

Hey- M Rich-

To express passionate concern and rebuke is NOT fun

Hey- M Rich-

To express passionate concern and rebuke is NOT fun

I'm glad to hear you say that. Write the company and make the most of your concern and rebuke. Seriously, social media is cheap...emails and letters (which get noticed even more than emails) get results. Invite the company to reply to you directly.

I have already sent emails my two AT vendors. I hear AT is deleting posts of concern on Facebook, so I wont bother writing them. As a business owner myself...I can tell you, this speaks volumes to how they "value" their customers.

I think they need to really step up and say something or just have the guts to tell everybody they are burned out, and don't want to sell rocket motors anymore. Customers always know when someone either loves what they do or not.

Back