AEROPOXY LIGHTWEIGHT FILLER PASTES...Reliable Supplier/Fastest Shipper?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Evil

Reaction score
Title says all.

Have Rocketpoxy on hand but would prefer something less time sensitive viscosity wise.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I purchased my Aeropoxy Filler straight from their website.

I had it within 4 days. I also love the stuff, great to work with it doesn't sag and is very easy to work with.

What combination of the Aeropoxy products do you use for doing fins and fillets?

ES6209 A/B straight up, or occasionally PR2032/PH3660 with fillers, though I mostly use 2032 unfilled for body tube and fin tip-2-tip glassing.

ES6209 A/B straight up, or occasionally PR2032/PH3660 with fillers, though I mostly use 2032 unfilled for body tube and fin tip-2-tip glassing.

Thanks Andy. Only gonna use it for fin attachment and fillets for now.

ED

Thanks guys, I forgot about Giant Leap and Aircraft Spruce but two votes for PTM&W gets it...order in. LDRS is right around the corner.

Quick secondary question though, "I'm" using this stuff more or less cosmetically on a 4" Eagle Claw but is it strong enough for primary exterior fillets on a Mini Eagle Claw? Kids need to get their rockets ready for LDRS too...simple shaping and sanding equals better odds of getting them done. Thoughts?

I have not used the Light product for structural use - I've always used it for covering "less than ideal" areas. I recently made a transition by cutting 12" quickrete tubes longitudinally and slipping them inside another tube to make up a gap between tube sizes, then filled the resulting stair-stepped end with the Light filler to make a smooth transition after sanding; then it was glassed. It sands very easily to a nice finish. That said, you likely don't need tons of strength on a mini.

Another thing to try sometime when you don't need lots of strength on a small model like a mini is to use 30min epoxy, and fill it with phenolic microballoons (reddish powder, https://www.uscomposites.com/fillers.html) until it is similar to peanut butter consistency (no longer flows). This is not quite as light, but is plenty strong for small rockets, will dry to a very smooth finish, and is very easy to sand. Its probably more durable than the Light filler. I've made external fillets on rockets up to 4" this way, and have yet to have a joint fail. My rockets built this way are fun sport flyers, those that get larger motors and are designed for more aggressive flights use better bonding like ES6209 or recently I tried Rocketpoxy which also seems to be a very nice product (more expensive, but comes in nicer jars, is dyable, and is argued to make a bit stronger rocketry bonds, though I doubt I'll ever test this the way I fly). There are many threads on such strong bonding systems recently on TRF if you get interested; seems to be a common topic. My 2 cents is to try a bunch of things out, and use what you find works well for you.

I currently use ES6209 for general purpose fillets and adhesive, but I am interested in ES6279 for its paste properties and better adhesion to metal. Too bad it is only available in large sizes and costs more, though.

Thanks guys, I forgot about Giant Leap and Aircraft Spruce but two votes for PTM&W gets it...order in. LDRS is right around the corner.

Quick secondary question though, "I'm" using this stuff more or less cosmetically on a 4" Eagle Claw but is it strong enough for primary exterior fillets on a Mini Eagle Claw? Kids need to get their rockets ready for LDRS too...simple shaping and sanding equals better odds of getting them done. Thoughts?

I would not use it for fillets or any other structural bonding. It is strong and resilient for a filler but not strong enough for fillets. But its just a filler nothing else.

I would not use it for fillets or any other structural bonding. It is strong and resilient for a filler but not strong enough for fillets. But its just a filler nothing else.
I was thinking it'd be ok for cosmetic/aerodynamic fillets on TTW fins that are internally strong enough. Then again, I've not used Aeropoxy Light myself, so...

I just ordered the quart kit of the ES6279 direct from PTM&W - it has somewhat better strength and similar temperature properties than T88 (which I also use frequently), so thought I would give it a try on my upscale Flea for securing the fins to the motor mount. I have in the past used JB Weld for fin attachment because of its better high temp properties (including on both my L1 and L2 cert rocket), but JB is not structural so I have some concerns that it is too brittle for the (larger J & K) motor that this rocket will fly on.

For fillets which are don't require maximum structural strength I use the Red Baron 30 min flex cure epoxy mixed with micro-balloons, which you can pick up at many locations. Easy to sand, make sure you scuff up the fins and BT where the fillet will adhere and you should be good to go. They are light and they have some flexibility so less likelihood of cracking. You can also add some milled FG cloth if you want a bit more strength. GLR sells the stuff but you can also get it direct https://www.redbaronadhesives.com/30minuteflexcure.htm I use the Aeropoxy ES6279 for structural mixed with FB or CF or T2T layups and get mine from Aircraft Spruce, they are fast for delivery.

I'm not happy with PTM&W right now. Order placed on Monday, complete radio silence from them, including no response to an email I sent asking about my order. I will call them on Monday, but no order information email, no ship, credit card charged of course - not pleased.

I'm not happy with PTM&W right now. Order placed on Monday, complete radio silence from them, including no response to an email I sent asking about my order. I will call them on Monday, but no order information email, no ship, credit card charged of course - not pleased.

Don't to want to pollute my own thread but damn...Ordered two Thursdays ago and not a peep.

LDRS not getting any further away, might go with the PML 30 minute epoxy and phenolic micro balloons that I have on hand. Unfortunately, that mix cracked on a previous rocket. The fins were thinner though...so...we'll see if I get impatient.

My guess is PTM&W's primary focus is on wholesaling in large volume to distributors and retailers. Because of that, small orders likely don't get priority.

I'm betting you'd have better luck (and better service) buying from someone who is more setup for small individual orders -- if Giant Leap doesn't have stock, try Aircraft Spruce.

-Kevin

My guess is PTM&W's primary focus is on wholesaling in large volume to distributors and retailers. Because of that, small orders likely don't get priority.

I'm betting you'd have better luck (and better service) buying from someone who is more setup for small individual orders -- if Giant Leap doesn't have stock, try Aircraft Spruce.

-Kevin

Yah Yah...I know, ya told me so (Lol)...

Two endorsements for fast shipping pushed the button for me. I wonder if it's a seasonal issue?

Time to go dig up the micro balloons. (that'll guarantee a Monday morning delivery!) :(

-Kevin

Possible. But since they put up a web store and allow for retail orders, my feeling is that they should know how to handle such orders in a timely manner. I will let folks know how my call with them goes.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Even though I was not up against a time deadline, I got my stuff in about a week the last couple of times I ordered.

When I placed my order, I got nervous when I never heard any word from them. I then called them to ask about my order. While they were not overly pleasant on the phone, they were able to tell me the status of my order (it had been shipped).

I just spoke to Diane from PTM&W. She was quite pleasant on the phone in my opinion. They have several issues with their online store:

1. No email order confirmations or ship confirmations are sent
2. The order ship status, is also not working on their website. She did not appear to be aware of this and made a note of it.
3. The 'contact us' email is not really working - no one has it in their job description to respond.

She did confirm that my order, placed on 6/23, shipped on 6/25, and that I should be getting my quart kit ES6279 shortly.

So they are back on my 'ok to do business with' list - but with the caveat that your order will not get any meaningful status updates, it will just show up. As always, I emailed, then I called - talking to an actual person works wonders.

- Matt

Back