Aerocon Systems white 60" pilot parachute.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the price on the 60" is really great! Someone told me on here that the chutes are actually designed to deteriorate if keep in the sunshine for long periods of time. I was wondering if by dying them with RIT if this would help preserve them? I don't know anything about this so forgive me in advance for the novice type question.

On the smaller chutes I use to pay someone to make a bridle, but I find it's not really worth it because the lines are so frayed they usually tend to break after a dozen flights, but for $10 who cares

I think the price on the 60" is really great! Someone told me on here that the chutes are actually designed to deteriorate if keep in the sunshine for long periods of time. I was wondering if by dying them with RIT if this would help preserve them? I don't know anything about this so forgive me in advance for the novice type question.

On the smaller chutes I use to pay someone to make a bridle, but I find it's not really worth it because the lines are so frayed they usually tend to break after a dozen flights, but for $10 who cares

I don't think the dye will offer any UV protection, but there are a number of spray on treatments for fabrics to give them UV protection, such as:

https://www.trek7.com/products/ray-...-all-fabrics?gclid=CI6hq9un0MkCFdgXgQodOqcKkw

Google will give a variety of products like this.

Honestly, the UV thing for these chutes is pretty much a non-issue for most rocketeers.

As a side note, I have the 72" orange one. Works perfect on an 11lb rocket, but it takes up a LOT of room. Thankfully I am packing it into a 7.5" tube....

As a side note, I have the 72" orange one. Works perfect on an 11lb rocket, but it takes up a LOT of room. Thankfully I am packing it into a 7.5" tube....

Good to know. The 60" plus a large 36" drogue brings my Arcas down a little too fast.

arcasrecovery.jpg

I don't think the dye will offer any UV protection, but there are a number of spray on treatments for fabrics to give them UV protection, such as:

https://www.trek7.com/products/ray-...-all-fabrics?gclid=CI6hq9un0MkCFdgXgQodOqcKkw

Google will give a variety of products like this.

Honestly, the UV thing for these chutes is pretty much a non-issue for most rocketeers.
Most dyes will provide some level of UV protection. It all depends on the UV absorption coefficient of the dye.

Having said that, your chutes spend 99.99% of the time out of sunlight. The are not going to degrade unless you leave them outside for weeks or months.

Bob

Latest posts

Back