Very small nylon parachutes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm building a small rocket and looking for a drogue. The OR sim gives me ~60 ft/sec descent speed with a 6-inch chute. I can use the Estes 6-in, but don't really love it. Could go smaller, to 5-in., and have OK descent speed. Can't find either in nylon. Have a sewing machine, but don't want to break it out for this. The smallest nylon chute I can find is a Top Flight 9-in., which is too big.

Reluctant to use a streamer, because I don't want it longer length to interfere with the main when it opens.

Can anyone point me toward a 5- or 6-inch nylon chute, or do I just need to KISS and use the Estes?

I'm building a small rocket and looking for a drogue. The OR sim gives me ~60 ft/sec descent speed with a 6-inch chute. I can use the Estes 6-in, but don't really love it. Could go smaller, to 5-in., and have OK descent speed. Can't find either in nylon. Have a sewing machine, but don't want to break it out for this. The smallest nylon chute I can find is a Top Flight 9-in., which is too big.

Reluctant to use a streamer, because I don't want it longer length to interfere with the main when it opens.

Can anyone point me toward a 5- or 6-inch nylon chute, or do I just need to KISS and use the Estes?

I am not tracking a smaller nylon chute. You may have to go Estes or sew it.

I've upgraded toughness of a few smaller plastic chutes by cutting the old lines off, adding binder reinforcement on both sides of the holes, using kevlar thread, and cutting a spill hole.

You need to go to the best parachute dealer out there! Spherechutes
https://spherachutes.com/

Buy a 9 inch and cut a spill hole in the middle?

Back