Aerobee 300 Completed!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevKeith

Reaction score
I just completed my Aerobee 300 kit from ThrustAero and wanted to post a picture. Thanks John for another great clone kit! It went together very fast and all was top quality. I can't wait to fly it. My painting skills are not the best so don't blame that on the kit. Thanks,

Keith

Originally posted by revkeith
I just completed my Aerobee 300 kit from ThrustAero and wanted to post a picture. Thanks John for another great clone kit! It went together very fast and all was top quality. I can't wait to fly it. My painting skills are not the best so don't blame that on the kit. Thanks,

Keith

A very handsome rocket indeed. Nicely done!;)

John,

I used Krylon white and black( both gloss, didn't have flat in store) and Walmart brand silver (again, didn't have Krylon silver). The red is Testors model paint. Thanks for asking!

Keith

Originally posted by revkeith
John,

I used Krylon white and black( both gloss, didn't have flat in store) and Walmart brand silver (again, didn't have Krylon silver). The red is Testors model paint. Thanks for asking!

Keith
Did you like the Walmart brand silver...is it about the same level of paint as say...krylon?

The Walmart brand of silver did ok but I would prefer to keep all my paints from the same brand line, i.e. krylon. One thing about Walmart brand is 99 cent per can! Silver has always been a tough color of paint to work with for me - it may be the high humidity here in South Georgia. It never seems to dry completely.

Keith

Fantastic finishing job Keith!!! Looks really cool and I can't wait to see it with a trail of smoke behind!

Well done,

Carl

Very very nice! I love the old classics.

Just be careful with the silver...it doesn't like any kind of clearcoat accept Future floor finish.

sandman

Hey Sandman,

Tell me more about the clear coat of Future floor finish? Since the silver paint is Walmart brand I new better than use Krylon clear coat. Thanks,

Keith

Don't even put Krylon clear over Krylon silver!!!

You will ruin the paint!

Future Floor Finish, a few, one or two, light coats wiped on with a cloth.

Careful. don't touch the paint with your bare hands either before the Future is applied.

Silver takes fingerprints quickly and they don't come off.

sandman

Thanks Sandman, I'll have to try the Future on my Aerobee300.

Keith

Originally posted by sandman
Don't even put Krylon clear over Krylon silver!!!

You will ruin the paint!

Sandman, is this issue just for the silver color? Are there any other incompatible brands of paint and clear coat? I have been using the cheap wal-mart brand paint, is the wal-mart brand clear coat ok to put on it?

Almost NO clearcaot will work over the enamal metalic paint (I say almost there may be something I don't know)

That includes silver, gold, copper or any other metalic paint by Krylon, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. Not even their own matching brands!

Don't do it!

Clearcoats seem to turn the metalic paints "blotchy".

Future Floor finish won't do that. but...be careful with it...too much over white will turn yellow. A little Future goes a long way to protect the finish from smudges and fingerprints.

The ONLY exception is automotive matelic paint! They are designed for clearcoats but, stick with thier specific brands!

I don't have all the answers about what WILL work. Over the years though, I have learned a lot about what WON'T work.

sandman

Keith,

Nice job on the Aerobee 300!! It was one of the first kits I built as a kid.

I had my first and last launch of my Thrustline Aerobee 300! Launched it on a B6-4. Straight up then the wind caught it and it driffted into a very tall pine tree. No hope of recovery. I also lost my scratch Cherokee D. After losing two in a row I packet it up and headed home. Too much wind at altitude. The Aerobee 300 is a great kit from Thrustline and from what I saw today it really flies high.

Keith

Back