ADVANCED ROCKETRY CORPORATION PARALLEL STAGE ROCKET 1824

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add me to the sometimes colorful voices interested in a detailed build thread. Scans of instructions and balsa pieces would be wonderful.

I’ve seen this kit a couple of times and wondered what was involved in making one. Truly functional boosters are definitely on the “build someday” list, and I’d love to see more than just the Apogee variety.
ARC 1824 PSR is a whole different creature.

Agreed! And if CHAD staging is OK by the kit manufacturer, so much the better! What a sight that would be!
I remember a Youngling walking up with an Alpha with a C6 0 taped to the botttom. I said, "Where did you learn that?!" He said he just thought it would work...and it did...and all the naughty old dudes rejoiced...and it was good.

I remember the functional painted roll pattern in red, white and blue helped set the pattern to build the rack and properly and hang it on the rocket. Also numbered the boosters and fins one through four to keep everything in order. Used vinyl number and letter stickers. Memories are trickling back now, happy times they were. A lot of old school friction fitting. Who needs stinking positive motor retention!

Last edited:
Man, you're a character - what a writer! Ok, I've done the Mercury Redstone fins and tower, but your warning on the tabs is well considered! Criminee, 'way back I did a Little Joe II tower from wooden dowels that you had to cut to length using the kit patterns - that was <ahem> fun, yea, that's the word.

But CHAD staging the central D? NOW we're talking!!! "Hiya Mr. RSO, whaddaya think of all these motors back here?" :D
You mean the RDO - the Range Danger Officer.

Im going to build this as part of my NARTREK Silver level cluster requirement. Was purchased around 2007 and got shuffled to the back of the closet. I remembered it when I read the cluster requirements for NARTREK.

Anyone have any experience with this one? How long has ARC been out of business?
I'm interested. I have one too, and it's been languishing in my build pile for for about that long.

Subscribed. These kits were on my list for a long time, then went OOP before I got a round 'tuit.

Looking forward to any related developments on this. Once upon a time built a tractor parallel staged model, powered by Estes 24mm D12-0s and an E15-8. Streamer recovery on the booster pods. Flew great, including staging.

pf.jpgpf1.jpg

Its design was inspired by an example that you may have seen in Stine's Handbook of Model Rocketry (pardon the coarsely-scanned image).

parallel staging Stine.png

Before building the model at top, I built an intermediate-sized 18mm motor model with two T-fins like the HMR example, powered by B6-0s and a C6-7. My "that looks about right" friction fit on the booster attachment was too loose, so things disassembled themselves at liftoff and flew in at least two different directions. Good learning experience on the friction fit though. Also learned to make the igniter lead wires as long and as lightweight as I could given the electrical current draw and to suspend the wires on stanchions, to give the igniters as much of a chance to do their work as possible between when the first one and the last one cooked off.

After doing some research, I found on Rocket Reviews that there were three versions of this model:
1318 PSR
1824 PSR
2429 PSR

My assumption, since my 1318 PSR uses an 18mm core motor and four 13mm motors, is that the 1824 uses a 24mm core/18mm outboards and the 2429 uses 29mm core/24mm outboards.

I don't think I'm competent enough to upscale this one by myself!

After doing some research, I found on Rocket Reviews that there were three versions of this model:
1318 PSR
1824 PSR
2429 PSR

My assumption, since my 1318 PSR uses an 18mm core motor and four 13mm motors, is that the 1824 uses a 24mm core/18mm outboards and the 2429 uses 29mm core/24mm outboards.

I don't think I'm competent enough to upscale this one by myself!
Upscale would just be bigger parts. Very doable with cluster of E12's and an F15 core. Would take some courage with CATO prone E12's these days.

Back in the day they must have used ole tyme Estes or FSI 29mm motors. Talk about courage!

Looking forward to any related developments on this. Once upon a time built a tractor parallel staged model, powered by Estes 24mm D12-0s and an E15-8. Streamer recovery on the booster pods. Flew great, including staging.

View attachment 634426View attachment 634429

Its design was inspired by an example that you may have seen in Stine's Handbook of Model Rocketry (pardon the coarsely-scanned image).

View attachment 634428

Before building the model at top, I built an intermediate-sized 18mm motor model with two T-fins like the HMR example, powered by B6-0s and a C6-7. My "that looks about right" friction fit on the booster attachment was too loose, so things disassembled themselves at liftoff and flew in at least two different directions. Good learning experience on the friction fit though. Also learned to make the igniter lead wires as long and as lightweight as I could given the electrical current draw and to suspend the wires on stanchions, to give the igniters as much of a chance to do their work as possible between when the first one and the last one cooked off.
CLUSTERED TRACTOR MOTORS RULE!

Back