ADVANCED ROCKETRY CORPORATION PARALLEL STAGE ROCKET 1824

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWP

Reaction score
Im going to build this as part of my NARTREK Silver level cluster requirement. Was purchased around 2007 and got shuffled to the back of the closet. I remembered it when I read the cluster requirements for NARTREK.

Anyone have any experience with this one? How long has ARC been out of business?

Attachments

• IMG_7983.jpeg
    IMG_7983.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Built and flown ARC PSR 1824 I think three times back in the day. Really cool to get the Korolev Cross action going! Takes some patience to build, especially sanding the interlock tabs to perfection after being painted. Mine got a little hibachied above the 24mm minimum diameter mount after three flights I would recommend a bit of reinforcement above that mount- CA soak or a coupler. Other than that carefully follow the instructions.

Good preparation and clustering techniques on 5 motors a must. Flies real high. Also a must is an assigned recovery team to recover all the falling bits from way above. Calm conditions to enjoy awesome K Cross Action. Will really impress even Top High Power Men! All that work for just a moment, then the moments gone...

They (ARC) went off ebay like 2010 ish, I have not seen one in years.

Parallel Staging is awesome.

Add on a D12 0 to the core for even more altitude junkie satisfaction and RSO frightening! Fly Loaded for Bear on the big, high power range!

PSR 1824...not for children! :)

Built and flown ARC PSR 1824 I think three times back in the day. Really cool to get the Korolev Cross action going! Takes some patience to build, especially sanding the interlock tabs to perfection after being painted. Mine got a little hibachied above the 24mm minimum diameter mount after three flights I would recommend a bit of reinforcement above that mount- CA soak or a coupler. Other than that carefully follow the instructions.

Good preparation and clustering techniques on 5 motors a must. Flies real high. Also a must is an assigned recovery team to recover all the falling bits from way above. Calm conditions to enjoy awesome K Cross Action. Will really impress even Top High Power Men! All that work for just a moment, then the moments gone...

They (ARC) went off ebay like 2010 ish, I have not seen one in years.

Parallel Staging is awesome.

Add on a D12 0 to the core for even more altitude junkie satisfaction and RSO frightening! Fly Loaded for Bear on the big, high power range!

PSR 1824...not for children! :)
The youngsters are not going to know what hibachied is. I nearly spat out my beer. I didn't, or my Australian passport would have been canceled immediately. We take alcohol abuse seriously.

🤣 😅🤣😂🤣

Ps I have Always wanted to get that one for the game boy advanced.
Earthbound was on Super NES, not GBA. You're probably thinking of Mother 3.

Mother 1 and 2 are available to play with a Switch Online subscription. Mother 2 is the game we know as Earthbound in the US. There is a fan translation available of Mother 3 for play on an emulator.

Earthbound was on Super NES, not GBA. You're probably thinking of Mother 3.

Mother 1 and 2 are available to play with a Switch Online subscription. Mother 2 is the game we know as Earthbound in the US. There is a fan translation available of Mother 3 for play on an emulator.
yes you are correct, I don't need a subscription as I have a physical GBA I got on Ebay.

Well that's old news. I couldn't figure out what the heck they were trying to convey!
Hand built, balsa tabbed and interlinked, fall away boosters around a central, minimum diameter core. Four 18mm boosters in rack around 24mm core. Five motor cluster or Six motors: four 18mm boosters around a two stage 24mm core. Still just have to light five, just that you tape an additional D12 0 on the hind end on the core D12 7. A true RSO frightening machine. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Lots of old school balsa fin, nosecone and abbed rack to finish to an old dude's high standard...like glass! Lots-O K-CROSS ACTION MEANT TO BLAST THOSE OLD GODLESS BOLSHEVIK PARTY MEMBERS WHO SENT YOU TO THAT CAMP!

Skill Level 4 rating is by OLD SCHOOL standard. Just as hard if not more than an Orbital Transport, Klingon Cruiser, Space Shuttle. Getting the tabs just right takes the patience of a Jedi. One of the hardest steps of any kit I have built. The Old World balsa forming craftsmanship is up there with the old red lable, K series Estes Mercury Redstone fins and escape tower.

A kit with a name like 1824 it will draw in old dudes like a moth to a flame! Why that's the time when you would hang out with Old Hickory himself! ARC made a smaller version, the 1318. That one is really ole tyme. Call up The Society of Creative Anachronism for Pete's sake! Tiny motors galore!

Singing: Tiny motors, in my rocket, make me happy, make me feel fine!

Hand built, balsa tabbed and interlinked, fall away boosters around a central, minimum diameter core. Four 18mm boosters in rack around 24mm core. Five motor cluster or Six motors: four 18mm boosters around a two stage 24mm core. Still just have to light five, just that you tape an additional D12 0 on the hind end on the core D12 7. A true RSO frightening machine. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Lots of old school balsa fin, nosecone and abbed rack to finish to an old dude's high standard...like glass! Lots-O K-CROSS ACTION MEANT TO BLAST THOSE OLD GODLESS BOLSHEVIK PARTY MEMBERS WHO SENT YOU TO THAT CAMP!

Skill Level 4 rating is by OLD SCHOOL standard. Just as hard if not more than an Orbital Transport, Klingon Cruiser, Space Shuttle. Getting the tabs just right takes the patience of a Jedi. One of the hardest steps of any kit I have built. The Old World balsa forming craftsmanship is up there with the old red lable, K series Estes Mercury Redstone fins and escape tower.

A kit with a name like 1824 it will draw in old dudes like a moth to a flame! Why that's the time when you would hang out with Old Hickory himself! ARC made a smaller version, the 1318. That one is really ole tyme. Call up The Society of Creative Anachronism for Pete's sake! Tiny motors galore!

Singing: Tiny motors, in my rocket, make me happy, make me feel fine!
Man, you're a character - what a writer! Ok, I've done the Mercury Redstone fins and tower, but your warning on the tabs is well considered! Criminee, 'way back I did a Little Joe II tower from wooden dowels that you had to cut to length using the kit patterns - that was <ahem> fun, yea, that's the word.

But CHAD staging the central D? NOW we're talking!!! "Hiya Mr. RSO, whaddaya think of all these motors back here?" :D

Perhaps THIS is the sort of rocket that Estes should look to add to their line-up. BP motors, and what appears to be a challenging builder's kit...
I don't know if a five motor cluster would pass the "Idiot Factor" test with legal. With short Estes igniters you need a clip whip. Not quite widely spaced pods but close.

Man, you're a character - what a writer! Ok, I've done the Mercury Redstone fins and tower, but your warning on the tabs is well considered! Criminee, 'way back I did a Little Joe II tower from wooden dowels that you had to cut to length using the kit patterns - that was <ahem> fun, yea, that's the word.

But CHAD staging the central D? NOW we're talking!!! "Hiya Mr. RSO, whaddaya think of all these motors back here?" :D
Hopefully the OP can post the picture from the directions showing the 1824 loaded fer BEAR! Such a thing will only act to seduce very naughty old dudes who would tape an additional red lable motor to the back of thier Big Bertha as a kid. Relive the good ole days with the 1824. Black powder, cluster, strap on, altitude junkie anyone? :)

Last edited:
Add me to the sometimes colorful voices interested in a detailed build thread. Scans of instructions and balsa pieces would be wonderful.

I’ve seen this kit a couple of times and wondered what was involved in making one. Truly functional boosters are definitely on the “build someday” list, and I’d love to see more than just the Apogee variety.

So many ARC 1824 PSR stories. You had to buy them on Ebay. One would come up every two weeks or a month. All sold at current market rate and would go for like $120. Expensive at that time. I got one on an "off" auction at like $90. Like Seinfeld waiting for soup on the Soup Nazi episode. Well worth the wait and price, a great kit.

It is a straight forward build, traditional with directions and plans guiding and hand holding as we expect from kits. After it is painted and looking good all that is left is sanding the tabs to a perfect fit to hold on launch but release on ejection. Here is where the plans go awry. How can you build without specific plans and precise measurements. THE VERY FOUNDATION OF ROCKET SCIENCE!

Oh no! The horror! You are asked to slowly sand down and constantly dry fit the rack. Takes some dexterity to assemble so you get lots of practice. You have to get the slide and seperation friction fit just right. WHAT IS THAT EXACTLY? What is this? How do I know for sure? What, am I supposed to be? Some sort of Jedi feeling the Force between the pod, the core, the friction fit motor?... YES!

Padawan training in the Force. Keep your mind on what you are doing, where you are at. There is no trying, just doing. Failure is not an option, the boosters must seperate smoothly and at the right time. They must be tight enough to hold the pods on at the pad! They must make a K Cross on seperation, bringing tears to all the old dudes watching.

Be careful not to be seduced by the Dark Side. Such kits as the 1824 and 1318 are somewhat out of the dark ages necromancy, using dark arts, old world craftsmanship. Hand sanded fall away boosters can lead to dangerous mind sims and scratcher oddrocs. Widely spaced pods, fins and motors up front, asymmetric designs all stray from the straight and narrow path.

I have been to rocket launches from one side of this State to the other. Seen lots of strange things. But never have I seen another ARC 1824 or 1318 PSR. Nothing to prove that some all knowing Force or hokey religion is guiding my scientific model rocket method.

Wouldn't NARTEK accept some Comanche 3, Tasters Choice launch? And here you go laying some Gourmet ARC 1824 PSR stuff on us?...VERY COOL! :)

More weight and power taped on the hind end? Is that a good thing Daddy? YES!

Ask yourself: Are you good ARC 1824 PSR material?
Oh, I'm the cautious type; if it isn't specifically allowed by the manufacturer, I'm swing testing it and maybe even going off a longer rod or using my rod speed calculation. Or both. But yes, give me a field good for a 2500 ft. flight and I'm off to the races with this RMD Rocket!

Oh, I'm the cautious type; if it isn't specifically allowed by the manufacturer, I'm swing testing it and maybe even going off a longer rod or using my rod speed calculation. Or both. But yes, give me a field good for a 2500 ft. flight and I'm off to the races with this RMD Rocket!
Kid tested, Mother approved! Trusted kit manufacturer says tape that D12 0 to the botttom. She is still stable!

Get them all to light! It is JUST an ignition issue!

With C boosters and the extra D12 0, say goodbye to 2500 and Hello to 3000+

Goodbye Comanche 3. Looking down on you!

Back