Ad banners

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's with the ad banners that suddenly started springing up at the top of the forum pages today?
PS I have "Disable advertising" checked off in my preferences section.

Last edited:
Just noticed that too. They weren’t there at 9:30 CST... At least they’re rocketry related. I don’t have a problem with that.

I would assume:

see:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/forums/rocketry-forum-sponsors.197/
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/which-rocket-shops-do-you-use.164193/(last few posts)

I don't mind these, as they are our vendors, and rocketry related.. (although I do prefer static banners to the ones that jump & flash & are just generally animated annoying..) I will have an issue when they start appearing getting littered in threads / between posts..

Although not too sure what "a high standard of sponsors" really means.. (I find the wording a bit "off"..)

It's not a "line in the sand" issue with me, but it seems a bit arrogant to force banner ads on users that have selected "Disable advertising" in their preferences, don't you think?

That, and those that paid as a "supporter" probably should not see it, but that they are there I understand

reminds me a bit about 'parking tickets"

they initially were a deterrent, and the fines a bonus. Now, cities have X number of tickets in their budget; as viable revenue..

1612811855208.png
Regardless of my having checked "disable advertising", I would nonetheless accept rocketry-related ads if they are restricted just to the area at the top the way they seem to be now.

By contrast, recently I looked at the forum while not logged in (i.e., full ads), and holy crap what a dumpster fire. Even with those couple of ads up top we're living large here with advertising "disabled".

[edit: Now that I've been staring at those ads a while, I do sincerely wish they were not as tall]

Last edited:
Hi fellows. I found out today that the TRF sponsors that have banner ads will be seen even if the OPT out is chosen. This is done so more will want to be here for your convenience. So, only the TRF sponsor banners will be seen. I was told about this a couple of hours ago. We are not trying to clutter up the place, but to keep it all Rocketry.

There has been some miscommunication and technical issues, sorry. All Supporting Members can opt out of all ads, even the rocketry ads. The code did not get implemented correctly but I suspect that by tomorrow it will work, so if you are Supporting, even the rocketry ads you will be able to disable.

There has been some miscommunication and technical issues, sorry. All Supporting Members can opt out of all ads, even the rocketry ads. The code did not get implemented correctly but I suspect that by tomorrow it will work, so if you are Supporting, even the rocketry ads you will be able to disable.
Will there be a separate toggle for the rocketry ads? That will make for an interesting decision.

Hi fellows. I found out today that the TRF sponsors that have banner ads will be seen even if the OPT out is chosen. This is done so more will want to be here for your convenience. So, only the TRF sponsor banners will be seen. I was told about this a couple of hours ago. We are not trying to clutter up the place, but to keep it all Rocketry.
Yes, forums and free sites don’t survive long without advertising no doubt. The parties over folks....

They are not a problem on my laptop. They significantly slow down loading on my tablet. Shikata ga nai...

Last edited:
We are waiting for our tech to get this new opt out installed. It may be sometime tomorrow. We are really sorry for the delay, as we did expect that to be available for you today.

Thanks Kuririn. I appreciate that.

As an aside. When I became a supporter quite some time ago, I noticed that all the interspersed ads for all sorts of garbage "disappeared". Nice! There were still some top scrolling banner ads that were entirely rocketry related that I really appreciated because some of them announced some new technology I could look up and explore if I so desired.
Alas, eventually with some TRF based software changes, the top scrolled ads that were really unobtrusive went away and I missed them. I even remember doing a private email to the admins saying I missed them. Possibly Angie was the one that replied and apologized they were gone due to a software change on TRF's part that didn't allow them to be continued.
If TRF wants to bring 'em back, I'm all for 'em. If it helps them generate more funds for operation and Egads "profit", then by golly go for it. You cheapskates will just have to suffer if you don't toss some gold into the kitty so stop your beetch'in.
What's a lifetime script up to now? I think I paid $100.00 for mine and since I'm keeping my hand in, though I haven't been able to fly as often as I like, it was money well spent. Plus I don't have to worry about renewals!
The knowledge that is disseminated from folks here who are way so much smarter than me is extremely interesting even if I only partially understand it. It was well worth the subscription at least for me. Sure, if one doesn't know if they will stick with rockets for a long time, do pay-as-you-go. It only took me a short time to realize I was going to stick with it and made the investment.
Don't think of me as totally heartless. Sure a 6th grader who has limited funds still can get on this site and enjoy the knowledge therein. With some software addons I'm told bereft of some of the advertising. You big boys should step up and give some financial support.

Kurt Savegnago

As an aside. When I became a supporter quite some time ago, I noticed that all the interspersed ads for all sorts of garbage "disappeared". Nice! There were still some top scrolling banner ads that were entirely rocketry related that I really appreciated because some of them announced some new technology I could look up and explore if I so desired.
Alas, eventually with some TRF based software changes, the top scrolled ads that were really unobtrusive went away and I missed them. I even remember doing a private email to the admins saying I missed them. Possibly Angie was the one that replied and apologized they were gone due to a software change on TRF's part that didn't allow them to be continued.
If TRF wants to bring 'em back, I'm all for 'em. If it helps them generate more funds for operation and Egads "profit", then by golly go for it. You cheapskates will just have to suffer if you don't toss some gold into the kitty so stop your beetch'in.
What's a lifetime script up to now? I think I paid $100.00 for mine and since I'm keeping my hand in, though I haven't been able to fly as often as I like, it was money well spent. Plus I don't have to worry about renewals!
The knowledge that is disseminated from folks here who are way so much smarter than me is extremely interesting even if I only partially understand it. It was well worth the subscription at least for me. Sure, if one doesn't know if they will stick with rockets for a long time, do pay-as-you-go. It only took me a short time to realize I was going to stick with it and made the investment.
Don't think of me as totally heartless. Sure a 6th grader who has limited funds still can get on this site and enjoy the knowledge therein. With some software addons I'm told bereft of some of the advertising. You big boys should step up and give some financial support.

Kurt Savegnago
As a counter point, supporting monthly provides a constant revenue stream and in three years will provide the site with over 100$.

As a counter point, supporting monthly provides a constant revenue stream and in three years will provide the site with over 100$.

Ok,
I see your point if one wants to be that philanthropic but if they want the best deal, paying the larger fee upfront is more of a bargain. One can always donate later if they want and I do believe TRF accepts donations. I hate having to remember when to pay and I don't like the auto-pay options out there by other concerns for obvious reasons. I thought the lifetime supporter fee was fair and paid it at that time.
Kurt

Ok,
I see your point if one wants to be that philanthropic but if they want the best deal, paying the larger fee upfront is more of a bargain. One can always donate later if they want and I do believe TRF accepts donations. I hate having to remember when to pay and I don't like the auto-pay options out there by other concerns for obvious reasons. I thought the lifetime supporter fee was fair and paid it at that time.
Kurt
I hope that the last post didn’t come across as dismissive or negative towards the lifetime subscription, that wasn’t my intent. Just a counter point that a monthly subscription can have some benefits for the forum. I have mine setup through PayPal and it’s been pretty pain free, FWIW.

I hope that the last post didn’t come across as dismissive or negative towards the lifetime subscription, that wasn’t my intent. Just a counter point that a monthly subscription can have some benefits for the forum. I have mine setup through PayPal and it’s been pretty pain free, FWIW.

No it did not come across as dismissive or negative. I agree a monthly subscription has the potential for more benefit to the forum.
Why pay for the lifetime option if one is only going to be involved for a couple of years?
The thing that disses me and I think you and I are on the same page here, is the individual who gripes about the ads and does have the financial capability to contribute something but doesn't.
Those in financial straights don't complain about it and it's nice they still have access to all the information here albeit with a bit more intrusiveness from outside ads. It helps pays the bills for those who run this thing.
As I mentioned, I like the top posted rocketry related ads for everyone and am glad to see them again. They were gone for a long time.
Heck, I would like to see a Marco Polo system that of course is not GPS based to start with, designed on the 70cm Ham radio band, with higher transmitter output and the ability to stick one's Ham callsign in there on the transmitted signal. Now that would be one heck of a backup to a GPS tracker!. (I got that from the top of the page mind you.)

Kurt (KC9LDH)

Back