Raven 4: pre-launch mode with switched output

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this, but I want to double check with other Raven users.

I am planning my first electronically staged flight with a Raven 4 to control all the events. Output 4 will be the sustainer motor igniter. For extra safety, the igniter will have a switch. The end of my pad procedure will be:

arm the Raven (beep, beep, beep, boop)
hook up booster igniter
switch on the sustainer igniter (beep, beep, beep, beep)

The Raven won't freak out if continuity on Output 4 suddenly changes during pre-launch, right? Output 4 will still fire if all of its conditions are met? I just want to make sure that the Raven doesn't think to disable Output 4 because continuity wasn't detected during the initial start-up procedure.

Thanks.

Ummm, why don't you do a test with a bare ematch to make sure your system works on the ground as programmed? I did that all the time for even simple apogee only flights on rockets. I mean if I recall the Raven allows for a computer connection so one can test ematches if they want to. I used to do that with homemade deployment igniters. I had to carry a freaking heavy laptop outside but I got the testing done! Kurt

To answer you question directly. The Raven4 will not freak out in that situation and your logic is sound. But I do agree with @ksaves2, Test it on the ground with bare e-match. First, it will verify your idea. Second, it will give you peace of mind, Third, it will give you practice.

FYI If you run the simulation test, it WILL pop the ematch, so make sure there is no BP/motor/flammable near by.

Just curious, what are you flying?!? :clapping:

I agree with all the above. That's how I do my airstarts and what I recommend. Power up the Raven and make sure the deployments are armed, then turn on the switch to arm the airstart igniter. And definitely do a sim and review the data so that you don't have any surprises about the airstart ignition conditions. I would sim first without an ematch and check the data, and then do a final sim with an ematch.

Yes, I used the FIP simulation many times with Outputs 3 and 4 just being redundant Apogee and Main deployments. For some reason, I was confusing myself over a vacuum chamber test vs. the more realistic FIP test for channels 3 and 4 doing something more exotic. All good. Thanks.

Just curious, what are you flying?!? :clapping:

This is a learning project. I am bashing two BMS School Rockets for use with MPR motors. I really like the idea of Apogee's TTV (Timer Test Vehicle) to practice electronic staging with less expensive motors. However, the TTV is LPR. I want something that can take up to small H motors.

Thanks for mentioning that you're learning to stage with MPR motors @Buckeye

I always wanted to get into staging composite motors in the olden days but I was never comfortable relying on a simple timer, or ( ! the horrors ! ) using sheathed thermalite for sustainer ignition.

I have been thinking that I would follow a similar path over the next few years before I am too old to chase rockets across the prarie.

But first, I need to learn how to replace my classic Dual Deployment setup with HED and a few other 'minor' things to get up to speed so it might be a while.

I will be VERY interested to hear what you learn :)

Thanks again !

-- kjh

Yes, I used the FIP simulation many times with Outputs 3 and 4 just being redundant Apogee and Main deployments. For some reason, I was confusing myself over a vacuum chamber test vs. the more realistic FIP test for channels 3 and 4 doing something more exotic. All good. Thanks.

This is a learning project. I am bashing two BMS School Rockets for use with MPR motors. I really like the idea of Apogee's TTV (Timer Test Vehicle) to practice electronic staging with less expensive motors. However, the TTV is LPR. I want something that can take up to small H motors.
I also used two 3" BMS rockets to build a two stage. The short BMS is the booster with simple motor eject deployment. A 3" couple as the inter-stage. Sustainer is the long BMS rocket. I added a stuffer tube up a ways for the motor ejection charge and then a side hatch just above the motor mount area for the electronics.
I am using an Eggtimer Proton but the Raven would be a great device.
Booster is a G74 minimum but could be an H or I motor. Have been using D or E motors for sustainer just so it does not go too high.
It is a lot of fun and a lot of challenges.

Good luck and start a thread in the Clusters & Airstart section on your rocket and flight results.

I also used two 3" BMS rockets to build a two stage. The short BMS is the booster with simple motor eject deployment. A 3" couple as the inter-stage. Sustainer is the long BMS rocket. I added a stuffer tube up a ways for the motor ejection charge and then a side hatch just above the motor mount area for the electronics.
I am using an Eggtimer Proton but the Raven would be a great device.
Booster is a G74 minimum but could be an H or I motor. Have been using D or E motors for sustainer just so it does not go too high.
It is a lot of fun and a lot of challenges.

Good luck and start a thread in the Clusters & Airstart section on your rocket and flight results.

I found some of your posts and .ork files for the staged School Rocket. Do you have some construction pics and event logic for the Proton outputs?

I found some of your posts and .ork files for the staged School Rocket. Do you have some construction pics and event logic for the Proton outputs?
No construction photos since I never think of taking the pics.
Here is the Proton set-up from a G74 to a D15
Proton Setup V1.04S
2nd
Global
LDA = 50 ft
Launch sps = 20
Descent sps = 2
Accel LDT = 0.5 s
Accel LDG = 3 G's
Auto-arm = No

Ch1 Seperation
Mode = airstart