A term that you cannot stand:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or perhaps they've learned that "I feel that..." is a softer way to say "I think that...", useful when the audience might bristle at whatever it is they're going to assert.

A lot of language is used to convey things other than the literal meaning of the words.
"I feel that" is a language use that implies that the user doesn't quite have a grasp on why they believe what they are thinking. They can't quite flesh out the ideas or explain in wordage. It is an imprecision. People SHOULD be encouraged or challenged to think things through when they express their thoughts like that and come to a rational conclusion rather than an emotional one.

Last edited:
Chopping off syllables that should be there. eg. Pronouncing "vet-er-an" as "vet-trun" and "vet-er-in-arian" as "vet-trun-arian." It's worse than listening to fingernails on a blackboard.

I think you missed the point. My point is that if you make an argument or point by saying "I feel that..." I assume you haven't thought it through and are just giving me some emotional response that may or may not make any sense given the facts. Even if it's true that people make decisions emotionally and rationalize it afterward, that doesn't mean I have to take their emotional positions seriously. Think it through and say with confidence, "I think that..." and I am more likely to consider what you say.
I get this, I didn't miss it.

You missed my point, which is: using "think" vs "feel" is superficial, so the receiver must rely on sender's body language and other signals to truly understand the communication. That's the 80%. Do not discard or minimize emotional signals, not anyone's, nor your own!

It also irks me when people misuse "flesh out" and "flush out"

The next time I hear someone say we need to "flush out" a plan, I am going to kick them in the jimmy (unless, I guess, if the plan is hiding behind a tree and you have your plan flushing dog with you?)

My point is that if you make an argument or point by saying "I feel that..." I assume you haven't thought it through and are just giving me some emotional response that may or may not make any sense given the facts.
Ahh yes, the classic, "Everybody who is different from me is wrong because MY WAY IS THE ONLY CORRECT WAY!!!!!!!!!!"

Utilize. It’s a superfluous word. Simply use “use” and you won’t sound pretentious.
I've had similar experiences using "that" too many times in documents. I was told by one of my previous Technical Writers it is better to use "which" in most cases. I thought "which" sounded pretentious...until I went back and counted the times I used "that" when it was either not needed or when "which" was a better word to use.

Sigh...here I go again.

{Educational rant on}

There is a real, honest-to-Odin reason for calling them starters. There is a certain government organization (that shall remain nameless) which appears not to know the difference between an ematch and an igniter. If memory serves, they don't define either one in words. They use images. Which were incorrectly labeled BTW. (I can think of reasons that the labeling might have been deliberate but I won't share them.)

Nonetheless, whether we like it or not..."igniters" legally are a regulated item.

The leadership of TRA and NAR spent years in courtrooms and in meetings with government officials, fighting regulations. This is simply another way to fight regulation. Unlike "igniters" and "ematches", starters are not intended to ignite fireworks or nefarious devices. "Intended use" is to start rocket motors.

So IF it ever came up in a court of law---and I very much doubt that it will, now---defense could point out that these are starters. Judges and staff are often technically clueless, and might well rule summarily, simply based on the name and the intended use.

Why do you think Estes renamed these items? To fool someone? Of course not. I would bet long odds that they did so, not on a whim, but based on their legal teams' advice. Please...think about that for a moment.
Agree with prfessor. We rocket guys know it's an "igniter". I started out back in the day when one didn't have to have an LEUP to get a commercial J motor either. The un-named gubbermint agency mentioned above got involved and wrecked life for HPR participants back then. The thing with "starters" was explained to get them reclassified so we could still buy them. I was cool with that. I got the chems to make them from scratch. A PITA but it can be done.
I worked with making my own ematches too because they were restricted! Igniters the risks with making them are manageable. Ematches are more dangerous though once in liquid form are safer. The powders before mixing can be dicey but I never had a mishap as I only did "teeny tiny" amounts. I never got consistency with my roll my own ematches so gave up on it. By then the Tripoli/NAR efforts paid off and we didn't have to worry about it anymore.
I did have some of my own ematches go off with a AAA battery though in testing. That was so cool.

Oh........I found this pasteup I made from 2021:

DON'T, DON'T DON'T I REPEAT DON'T try to make ematches for rocketry. The quality control on the bare blanks/heads sold absolutely stink. One has to solder the lead wires to them fastidiously and not gunk the solder on to cause a short. Two different dips have to be made with one component being especially sensitive to friction. Get some on the threads of the little glass bottle you're using and if you try to unscrew it the next day, it could go BOOM in your face. I was aware of this before I worked with it and treated it accordingly. One also needs an Ohm meter to weed out the matches with high resistance.

I resorted to making my own blanks wrapping nichrome wire around PC board, soldering and I had an appropriate shear to cut them. Had to check every single chip for pieces of copper clad that fractured causing a potential short. Sand paper usually cleaned them up.

I learned to make just enough of the components to use up in one sitting. After 5 years, I got good at it but with the availability of good commercial matches I stopped as it just isn't worth the labor. Oh, for fun I used to hit the head of the dried toothpick
I used to mix the first pyrogen (with a welder's face shield with a clear window for protection) and it would give a loud pop.

At the time I was doing it, we (rocketry) was in jeopardy of not being able to get reliable ematches (required LEUP otherwise) hence that was my impetus to attempt to learn the art. Learn it I did but boy was it a pain in the arse. About the time I mastered it, the easily obtainable matches came out and I IMMEDIATELY abandoned making my own.

Want to mess with making 12V engine "starters", "lighters" or whatever they call them? That's manageable and relatively safe for a neophyte to attempt. Get a kit and follow the instructions is the easiest for someone new at this. Can research some of the pyrogens out there and most (not all) are pretty safe. The unsafe formulas are clearly labelled as such and just about impossible to get the components for those anyways. I checked and many of the components cost too much for me to consider. Plus I didn't like the idea of getting killed by a "starter", "lighter" or igniter. :)

As a (software) engineer, “should” triggers me, especially when things are going wrong and someone is trying to convince me that their code is blameless because of what it should do. Don’t tell me what it should do: go, look, and tell me what it’s actually doing.
YES
Should, could, my response, sorta, maybe, might someday..

If you cant speak in a definitive way, you're not helping.

Teddy

"should" is a "danger word" in cognitive behavior therapy, because it only leads to failure, disappointments, stress... and consequent unmindful actions. lotsa big words there, huh.

walla or wala when you mean voila.

saying artic instead of arctic. For some reason, it seems particularly grating when a weather person says it.

I was taught that writing "I think that" should not be used because it is redundant. Your readers know that what you wrote are your thoughts on the subject.

"should" is a "danger word" in cognitive behavior therapy, because it only leads to failure, disappointments, stress... and consequent unmindful actions. lotsa big words there, huh.
However, "should" in the legal world basically means "you must do it." Its use is very consistent in that arena.

The confused misuse of the following similar sounding words, but with very different uses:
To, too, two
Your, you're
Here, hear
There, their, they're
And so on. It astounds me how often I see these used incorrectly in news stories, posts, print ads, other promotional materials. I usually automatically assume that writer is an amateur (perhaps unfairly). I now believe that there is no real effort put into editing anymore, which used to be a real career profession. Editing is lacking, even in news organizations. I'm not the grammar police, but in professional writing situations, I expect more.

And no, I'm not a teacher, editor, or writer. But these things used to be drilled into the heads of young students and we usually got it right by the 5th grade.
Our local paper is full of stuff like that. It drives my wife crazy. Almost every Wednesday and Friday I hear her say, doesn't anyone proof read this stuff.

When I read or hear a report, a proposal, a systems requirements etc from the military brass or defense companies that are more corporate speak than corporate speak it makes me crazy. They are talking about a piece of equipment and trying to make it sound like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Oh, and dreaming up names for something so the acronym spells a word.

Completing a month long plant install, all electrical and electronic connections, cables, power perfect and it doesn't work.

Then someone saying: "it isn't the software."
The German mfr's always blame it on me not using a 250KCMIL wire for ground on a 20A panel.
Then, inevitably, the manufacturer rep shows up and the first thing he/she does is plug in a laptop.
LOL - Kidding! It does always happen though.

Cheers / Robert

"Just". As in, "if you just do X and Y, it would be so much better!". Professional managers of large industrial projects hate it when naive people approach them with sentences that begin with "just" and propose big changes in the middle of a complicated project. They are invariably oblivious to the effects on schedule, budget, political support of upper management, and a dozen other interconnected things. It ain't as easy as it looks!

However, "should" in the legal world basically means "you must do it." Its use is very consistent in that arena.
"Should" has never expressed a legal requirement. For years, the law schools in the US stressed that the word "Shall" is a contractual legal requirement to be fulfilled. The The Supreme Court of the United States ruled that “shall” really means “may” – quite a surprise to attorneys who were taught in law school that “shall” means “must”. In fact, “must” is the only word that imposes a legal obligation that something is mandatory. Also, “must not” are the only words that say something is prohibited.

Here are some references that say to use the word “must” instead of “shall”:
Footnote: U.S. Supreme Court decision was in Gutierrez de Martinez v. Lamagno, that under certain contexts, shall could be construed as may. The decision does not imply that shall always means may, but rather that unless expressly defined, context determines whether shall is mandatory or precatory. As a result, "must" and "must not," without context, are the only words that impose a mandatory legal obligation or prohibition.

Interestingly, "Shall" continues to persist in contracts today, independent of this ruling.

Last edited:
Back