A Step Up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Socknic

Reaction score
So today I launched my Big Daddy on a C11-3. I know that this is kinda weird, but they were the biggest engines I've ever used. I just can't get over how awesome it was. The loud noise, all the smoke, it was just so awesome. So I'm probably gonna start stepping it up to 24mm motor mounts and beyond.

-Socknic

So today I launched my Big Daddy on a C11-3. I know that this is kinda weird, but they were the biggest engines I've ever used. I just can't get over how awesome it was. The loud noise, all the smoke, it was just so awesome. So I'm probably gonna start stepping it up to 24mm motor mounts and beyond.

When I first started in rocketry uh-hum years ago, I used, maybe, one pack of D12 motors. I had an Omega rocket that I usually flew single-staged using a C motor stuck in one of the used D motor casings.

D motors were too expensive and ... big and loud ... they were scary!

-- Roger

24mm motors are definitely louder then the 18's. the C11 is my favorite BP engine/ My LHS has them on sale for $5 a pack so I base all my rockets around a 24MM mount.

I agree C11 is a great engine. Sort of a gateway drug for using 24 mm mounts :cool:

They are awesome on smallish fields when you don't want to lose a 24mm rocket.

Of course like I said they are the gateway to bigger things. I now have a few bags of aerotech SU 18 and 24 mm engines awaiting use next launch...

and before you know it, he'll by considering the 29mm motors... (evil laugh) we have you now :).

Rex R, funny that you say that since I was just starting to consider the Estes Leviathan. Yep... 29mm motor mount.

When I first started in rocketry uh-hum years ago, I used, maybe, one pack of D12 motors.

When I started, a B was the biggest that you could buy. After awhile FSI started and they had C engines. I don't remember if they had D back then or not.

it is kinda like trying to eat only one potato chip/crisp...when there is an open bag staring you in the face :D.
rex

Cash is also a factor in rocketry and I just ran out of engines. I used up two C11-3's, three B6-4's, one C6-5, and one A8-3.:mad:

D motors were too expensive and ... big and loud ... they were scary!

-- Roger

If you were talking about the D13 motors - yes, they were very, very scary. My little group of rocketry buddies lost far too many models to those little devils. My original Goblin was completely incinerated by a burn through on its maiden flight.:sad:

Socknic

My Big Daddy's first flight was on a C11-3, as was my Stormcaster. It's a great motor for lightweight 24mm rockets.

lunar_launch_021310_051.JPG

lunar_launch_021310_052.JPG

lunar_launch_021310_057.JPG

lunar_launch_040310_151.JPG

lunar_launch_040310_154.JPG

If you were talking about the D13 motors - yes, they were very, very scary. My little group of rocketry buddies lost far too many models to those little devils. My original Goblin was completely incinerated by a burn through on its maiden flight.:sad:

No, the D12s were out by the time I started flying rockets. They were just soooo big and loud and smokey. I never saw one fail, but, then, I don't think I saw more than half a dozen D-motor launches.

Little did I know back then that I'd eventually be launching twelve-foot tall, K-motor-powered rockets. :)

Back on topic ... releasing the C11s was a great move by Estes. I especially appreciate that they allow you to launch larger rockets in smaller fields.

-- Roger

Cash is also a factor in rocketry and I just ran out of engines. I used up two C11-3's, three B6-4's, one C6-5, and one A8-3.:mad:

Do NOT let this scare you - Repeat, Do not let these silly little numbers frighten you in any way. :y:

Cash is a factor. As in - you need lot's of it for bigger motors. :rolleyes:

I just spent $125 on motors last Friday.

$125 is enough for 96 A, B, and C motors if you get the "bulk packs" from AC supply at 40% off.

$125 buys only about 50 C-11 motors, or only about 30 D12's. You'll only get 24 E-9 motors for $125.

My $125 got me 11 Aerotech 29mm composite motors. I got 3 E's, 2 F's, and 6 G's.

I just got my Level 1 cert last month, so now I can buy H and I motors. $125 will get me 2 3-Grain 38mm Cessaroni motors plus the case and the DAT tool.

Oh Well, It's only money. :cry:

Yes bigger motors are more spectacular but I can have just as much fun poppin off MMXers in the back yard. Seeing a Big Berha flying on a B motor just makes me smile. Sometimes less is more.:)

Still every rocketeer takes that upward path. Enjoy your journey!:point:

Latest posts

Back