a couple of motor mounts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I just finished these, almost completely scratch built. One is 18mm for BT-55, the other is 24mm x 2.75" for BT-55. I used standard Estes engine hooks but I cut the little projecting loop and hook off of the bottom end so nothing hits the ground before the motor. I used 2 leftover solid centering rings for the 24mm mount. I cut rings from a cereal box for the 18mm mount. The 24mm engine block is a piece cut from the end of a used motor casing. The 18mm engine block is a strip of BT-60 glued and rolled into a smaller cylinder. Some Estes kits include a short piece of tube to slide over the engine hook to hold it in place. We've also had some discussion about engine hooks pulling out the back since the front of the hook is only bearing against one thickness of motor tube. So I cut some short pieces of scrap BT-20 and glue on on the motor tube before I put the engine hook on. Now the engine hook is pushing against 2 thickness of motor tube. Then I glue 2 of the rings of scrap over the outside of the motor hook to hold it in place.
IMG_5356r.jpg

I always love making my own motor mounts using scrap/junk I have around the house or leftover from other kits (or launches). Looks like you also enjoy this part of rocket building. :cool:

I always love making my own motor mounts using scrap/junk I have around the house or leftover from other kits (or launches). Looks like you also enjoy this part of rocket building. :cool:
For now I have some scrap tubes to use for motor tubes and engine blocks, I can cut my own centering rings and make my own engine hooks. I do my own designs or copy other designs so I just cut fins from a sheet of balsa from Hobby Lobby. I make shock cords from a roll of kevlar. I use the same parachutes over and over, basically I've been launching for several years using only one or two parachutes. So to build a new rocket I only have to buy the outer tube and the nose cone, I don't have to buy a whole kit. My nose cones are never permanently connected to the rocket so as long as I can reuse a color I don't even have to buy a new nose cone. I usually do just because I like for the rocket to be complete but I haven't been able to find the nose cone from the Goblin so when I built a BT-55 version of the Sprint I have to let it share a nose cone with my Goblin.

For now I have some scrap tubes to use for motor tubes and engine blocks, I can cut my own centering rings and make my own engine hooks. I do my own designs or copy other designs so I just cut fins from a sheet of balsa from Hobby Lobby. I make shock cords from a roll of kevlar. I use the same parachutes over and over, basically I've been launching for several years using only one or two parachutes. So to build a new rocket I only have to buy the outer tube and the nose cone, I don't have to buy a whole kit. My nose cones are never permanently connected to the rocket so as long as I can reuse a color I don't even have to buy a new nose cone. I usually do just because I like for the rocket to be complete but I haven't been able to find the nose cone from the Goblin so when I built a BT-55 version of the Sprint I have to let it share a nose cone with my Goblin.
You sound a bit like me.

My scratch/clone building has been made a lot easier when I was gifted a Designer's Special last holiday season. I was able to use parts from there to make my cloned Goblin and Bull Pup.

Like you, I make my own centering rings and engine hooks. However, I really like screw-on retainers, so I buy those. I also make my own thrust rings/engine blocks and reuse parachutes whenever I can. I have so many extra 12" orange Estes parachutes, it's not even funny.

You sound a bit like me.

My scratch/clone building has been made a lot easier when I was gifted a Designer's Special last holiday season. I was able to use parts from there to make my cloned Goblin and Bull Pup.

Like you, I make my own centering rings and engine hooks. However, I really like screw-on retainers, so I buy those. I also make my own thrust rings/engine blocks and reuse parachutes whenever I can. I have so many extra 12" orange Estes parachutes, it's not even funny.
What to do with all those Estes orange/plastic 'chutes? Send, on a windless day, a heavier rocket (ugh. . .Big Bertha??) up on an Estes D, with five (seven?) of those parachutes aboard to bring it back. One great photo set is worth all the tangles that may/will result! 😎

You might know this already, but, the Stainless Steel "Spines" in old discarded windshield wipers works great for making engine retainer hooks and all sorts of other things like the main stem of a wire-standoff for your launch pad (just put a smooth alligator clip on one end for the wires, and bend it as you need it to be, and put a hole and whatever else in the launch pad to hold it in place), plus I've used them for mechanical parts in our old 80's phones, clips to hold "ballast bins" in my RC Gliders, guitar repair tools to fish things out of hollowbody guitars, and all sorts of things.

You might know this already, but, the Stainless Steel "Spines" in old discarded windshield wipers works great for making engine retainer hooks
Oh yeah we've talked about those in the past. I have a couple of different sizes of the spines that I've salvaged and I've made a couple of retainers from them. I still use an engine block even with the hooks and making my own hooks I can make them longer so they hook in front of the engine block and this gives them more strength against pulling out the back of the rocket.

Back