10" diameter JayHawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but alas, could not get approval from the "home comptroller."

Doing this project simultaneously with the upscale Death Star, I rapidly expanded out of the basement workshop. One could probably look through this thread and assemble the floorplan to my house. Just off the top of my head, I know it has been photographed in the front yard, back yard, deck, workshop, guest room, rec room, train room, kitchen, living room, dining room, foyer, and garage. The trailer was her idea (and a great one)... I get some mobility / logistics support and she gets our house back.

Did get a good deal on it though and was able to sell it for a $1000 profit.

That would seed a good motor fund!

Last edited:
Put the finishing touches on the transport cradle tonight. The forward handles are from rolling tool cabinets, the rear handles are extendable to reach to and give a grip point from behind the wings for balancing. Not a great picture, will get a better one tomorrow, as outside in daylight will give better depth of field.

transport cradle.jpeg

Do you have any room left for "Moratorium 7"?

Don't know yet, I haven't started packing the trailer. I wasn't planning on flying her anyway, though. Building seven motors for one flight isn't high on my agenda right now. I just want to focus on the Jayhawk, flying some night rockets, doing a few Level 2 certifications, pulling some range duty, spending some time with kids... that'll keep me busy enough. See you Saturday.

Last edited:
Good luck Sather!

I will be there Sat. morning if you need anything. Stay hydrated and bring your check list. It's going to be a great weekend and a great flight of the Jhawk.

Dan

Finally starting to pack up. Everything lined up at the door in order. Jayhawk lower body in trailer, and a good fit. Will pack blankets and boxes around it.

T minus 27 hours, 15 minutes.

out the door.jpg

Stuck at work right now. Wish I was at MWP, or at least packing!

Can't wait to see that puppy fly tomorrow Sather. Most excellent build and meticulously detailed thread....Thank you for sharing:D

See you there!

-Eric-

I just had a thought that for me is almost kinda sad...

After this weekend the main purpose of this thread will be done (after all the compliments on what I'm sure will be a great flight).

This thread was started on this forum right around when I did and I've followed it ever since....

It's also been WAY TOO interesting...we have to find some way to keep it alive after this weekend....

any ideas?

Full scale patriot.....

1/2 scale Saturn V....

Just a few ideas....

I just got a REALLY wacky idea while making suggestions above but I'm not going to hijack such an AWESOME thread...

I saw the flight today, and I have a couple decent pictures of it to post. However, I will wait until SMR gives his report on the flight.

Can't wait to hear/see the flight report.

Teaser: On the onboard video from the camera pointing up, you can see Manny's drag race rocket shredding while Sather was installing the Jayhawk's igniter. :roll:

I just had a thought that for me is almost kinda sad...

After this weekend the main purpose of this thread will be done (after all the compliments on what I'm sure will be a great flight).

This thread was started on this forum right around when I did and I've followed it ever since....

It's also been WAY TOO interesting...we have to find some way to keep it alive after this weekend....

Thank you. I just got home and am starting to unpack. Full launch report to follow (as well as posting pictures and videos) but here is my preliminary / summary.

First of all, I would to express my gratitude to everyone involved with this project, those who followed it online, those who offered suggestions, and especially those who helped prep and lug it to the pad and from the field. It was a wonderful experience for my whole family. To them, I owe a lot of thank you's as well, for their patience and sacrifice in my preoccupation with getting this rocket built and flown.

Both GearCams functioned properly and gave good video throughout the flight. The Jayhawk was prepped and ready by her planned launch time of 2:00 PM on Saturday. There was substantial wind in the morning, but it appeared to get better in the early afternoon. I had a lot of friends come down specifically for this day, and decided to go for launch. In hindsight, I probably should have waited longer, as the winds continued to get better into the late afternoon and Sunday. At launch, she rose majestically from the pad under the full roar of the Cesaroni N3180. (I had a press pass, so I was pretty close.) She followed that up with the Jayhawk's characteristic half roll, started arcing into the wind, and was still traveling at a good clip when the nose blew off at apogee. I had packed the 120" Spherachute drogue into a deployment bag, with a 24" Giant Leap TAC-drogue as a pilot chute to pull the bag off. The 24" was the first to open and functioned flawlessly. Even after opening under speed, it still looks like a brand new chute. The 120" wasn't quite as bullet-proof. I have taken a cursory look at the video, not having reviewed it fully, but it appears the bigger drogue split open down a seam on opening shock. There may have been enough drag to pull out the mains (the Tether functioned perfectly), but the aft facing GearCam shows a length of shock cord caught on a winglet, which kept the rocket from orienting correctly to tail down. Between the somewhat limited drag of the world's largest streamer, and the "Volvo-would-be-proud" dedicated crumple zones in the forward body (payload section) tube, there was minimal damage to the rocket at impact. Both the nose cone and the fin can are perfect, the only scratch I have found so far was the one we made putting it ON the pad. I have an extra 10" Polecat tube, so the repair / replacement of the forward tube will be easily accomplished by LDRS in 2011, where she will fly again.

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4102.jpg

Last edited:
Sather, I imagine I speak for several other guys and gals when I say thank you for letting us be a part of this. This was a great project, a lot of fun, it was gorgeous on the pad and in flight, and you were the model of grace from beginning to end, despite the not-so-great outcome.

I know this wasn't really a WOOSH project, but it made me proud to be a WOOSH member. We've got a great group, don't we?

And kudos to Tim and QCRS and Randy and Carol (and everyone else) for running such a smooth large launch. I'm definitely putting MWP9 on my calendar.

Ditto. I can't say it any better than Paul. Thanks for letting us help out and be a part of the launch. Time to start planning for LDRS.

Dan

The next few posts are going to be in backwards order, as I am finishing postflight cleanup but have not yet finished downloading inflight data. The good news is that it is a triage report and not an autopsy. I should compute what the descent rate is for a 160 pound rocket (minus the propellant used) on a 24" parachute. Then I could find it's kinetic energy and do a proper reconstruction of the actual impact event. The 120" drogue parachute shredded on initial opening. The body hit the ground first, open nose end pointing down, into plowed (soft) topsoil. The open end, with it's kevlar band, buried about a foot into the soil. It cracked there, and again at the other end, next to the forward bulkhead of the avionics bay. Photos (to be posted soon) show it impacting near vertical and intact, yet, like the Titanic, the two major sections were found in separate locations. It appears that the forward tube absorbed a portion of the energy destructively, and the remaining portion in compression, like a big spring. The motor section was tossed back into the air in line with the angle of impact, and landed about 10 feet away, unscathed. The nose cone landed next, sticking the landing with no tumble, and other than light scratches, also unscathed.

shredded drogue.jpg

debris field.jpg

motor section.jpg

Wow, gonna be one tough av-bay!

And thankfully so. Upon getting everything collected from the field, it was apparent that the majority of the rocket survived the event. A portion of the payload tube was still attached to the avionics bay / body joint. This was removed, revealing the coupler was not damaged. A few of the tee-nuts inside the coupler had cracked JB Weld, indicating they were stressed, but the 2 wraps of carbon fiber inside the av-bay turned out to be a good investment. Here she is, with a replacement tube in place. I need to drill a few holes and add some paint, but she will be ready to fly again at LDRS 30. With a heavier drogue and in lighter wind.

It's official!

LDRS 30 will be held over Labor Day weekend (September 1-6, 2011) at Argonia, KS.

Bob Brown
Launch Director, LDRS 30

T minus 10 months...

as landed.jpg

joint coupler.jpg

avionics bay postflight.jpg

tube replacement.jpg

Last edited:
I should compute what the descent rate is for a 160 pound rocket (minus the propellant used) on a 24" parachute.
Propellant mass is about 16 lbs, so the descent rate is around 220 fps (151 mph) per https://www.onlinetesting.net/cgi-bin/descent3.3.cgi -- I expect you were slower because of lift from the wings, though.

I think the fact that there was so little damage is a testament to your construction abilities. Beautiful job!

Hey, did you ever post any photos of that aft closure with your name engraved in it? I thought that was mighty impressive.

Sather, it was an honor to RSO the Jayhawk for its first flight. She looks great in person! Here's a few photos of the launch that I took from the flightline.

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

Hey, did you ever post any photos of that aft closure with your name engraved in it? I thought that was mighty impressive.

Thanks, and yes... It's in Post #270 on page 9.

Here's a few photos of the launch that I took from the flightline.

Great shots, thank you. I didn't get any planform shots, as I was off to the side. I like that red flame!

Sather,

It was a pleasure Meeting you guys out there, Sorry your flight didn't go as planed. But I have to say you win the prize for the MOST BEAUTIFUL rocket at the launch!

When you get a little further along in the repair. Don't forget your decals are covered under our crash protection warranty! replacements are 1/2 price!

Hope to see you out there next year. I think I am going to make that launch part of my regular tour. you guys really know how to throw a launch!

(and build rockets!) :D

Teaser: On the onboard video from the camera pointing up, you can see Manny's drag race rocket shredding while Sather was installing the Jayhawk's igniter.

Finally got the videos downloaded to my Mac. Here is a link to the video from the forward facing GearCam. I edited out all the dead time (crew walking off the launch field, getting to recovery site. etc.) Points of interest include (1) the Wildman drag race at the beginning (Manny's rocket is in there), (2) the perfectly straight separation of the nose cone at about 47 seconds (the only advantage of having fins on the nose), (3) how close the shock cord came to the externally mounted camera, (4) the nose cone and shredded drogue, and (5) the death dive near the end, looking an awful lot like one of those guided munition videos.

[video=youtube;fyhtv73EGBs]

Wildman drag race.png

nose cone coming off.png

shock cord near camera.png

nose cone and shredded drogue.png

tractor tire tracks.png

Last edited:
Here is a link to the video of the aft-facing GearCam. While the forward looking camera was found still attached to the rocket, the aft facing camera was found lying on the ground about 30 feet away. (Thanks, John. Good eyes!) I originally thought it broke off on ground impact, but frame-by-frame analysis of the video, at about 58 seconds, reveals it was snapped off by the shock cord during descent. It then tumbled alongside the rocket, capturing alternating panoramas of the countryside and shots of the Jayhawk. Some of the frames are distorted, as the camera is moving around faster than it's frame rate. I have attached a few of my favorite screen shots. In order, they show (1) a tail view of the crowd, (2) the frame before camera separation, (3) the frame during camera separation, (4) a parting shot of the Jayhawk's wing from behind the rocket, and (5) the entire Jayhawk from behind. Also worth mentioning is the observation that you can see that the shock cord hit the camera at 43 seconds (hard enough to move the camera), and pushed on it continuously for 15 seconds before it finally broke off at 58 seconds.

[video=youtube;-VyMiISJNyI]

Tail view over the crowd.png

frame before separation.png

frame after separation.png

Parting shot.png

View of Jayhawk from behind.png

Last edited:
Here are a couple more screen shots from the free-flying (formerly aft facing) video camera. (1) a view of the countryside, (2) a shot facing forward, of the side opposite of the forward facing camera. I was happy to get this shot, as it shows there was no zipper. (The body tube was stronger than the parachute.) (3) the nose cone and drogue remnants in the air, (4 & 5) the Jayhawk, nose cone, and parachute on the ground, viewed from above.

Panorama.png

no zipper!.png

formation with nose cone and drogue parachute remnants.png

recovery site #1.png

recovery site #2.png

Last edited:
Great videos. The gearcams really do a nice job, I'm pretty sure I now need one...

Though all events of the weekend did not go as planned, it was still a great weekend. Thanks for your help Sather.

My son's and I all enjoyed the onboard video. Sorry the flight didn't go as planned but I'll ditto the comments on your construction ability. Thinking of something that heavy falling that fast and coming out as well as yours did is impressive. Gearcams and all electronics remaining in tact is impressive too.

:cheers::clap:

Already starting to plan to make it to Midwest Power next year and since LDRS is in Kansas I may come see it there.

Beautiful rocket. I love Jayhawks and I thought about building a M version myself (a project after I get a L3). I love the flight pics. I noticed you used an Aerotech case for the CTI load. I mention that because I am thinking about what to use for my Level 3 cert flight. I thought about buying a Aerotech case which will allow me to choose either an Aerotech or CTI load.

Back