• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found 1/8" 12 x 24 sheets of plywood

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I am asking if anyone knows of a source of 1/8" thick 12 x 24" plywood. NOT lite plywood. And actually in stock now, not backordered...

I ordered some from SIG 2+ weeks ago, and they said that it was backordered but should be available in a week. I talked to them today and it is still on backorder. Doing some searching online and in my Hobby Lobby local store, nobody seems to have it. Worst case I can order some Midwest brand from Hobby Lobby online, but I'd rather get it elsewhere if possible (I prefer to support smaller businesses when I can).

Check with your local cabinet shop or woodwoorking supplier, they will probably have Baltic Birch ply. That thickness ply is used for cabinet backs and sometimes drawer bottoms.

Check with your local cabinet shop or woodwoorking supplier, they will probably have Baltic Birch ply. That thickness ply is used for cabinet backs and sometimes drawer bottoms.

None of those around here, unfortunately.

Boulter Plywood : https://www.boulterplywood.com/

Look under Hardwood plywood and Aircraft plywood.

They have it in stock. They sell it in 4'x4' sheets. It's 6-ply - so it's not cheap.

They can rip it to your 12x24 size. They charge $1.50 per cut. All cuts are clean & square.

Never gotten a bad shipment from them on 1/8" and 1/4" sheets.

The plywood you are looking for is Baltic Birch, as in, from Russia. I (used to) buy lots of it for my business. Two of my suppliers recently told me that it is no more, for a while. It is no longer being shipped due to sanctions and / or boycotts. I was told that if the war were to end today, the supply disruption is going to continue for several years, at least. This is what the word is in the wood industry for Baltic Birch. I bought all they had left. I used to pay $35 per sheet of 5' x 5' x 18mm. I paid $140 per for their last bit. This was wholesale pricing. There is none available now from my distributors.

The plywood you are looking for is Baltic Birch, as in, from Russia. I (used to) buy lots of it for my business. Two of my suppliers recently told me that it is no more, for a while. It is no longer being shipped due to sanctions and / or boycotts. I was told that if the war were to end today, the supply disruption is going to continue for several years, at least. This is what the word is in the wood industry for Baltic Birch. I bought all they had left. I used to pay $35 per sheet of 5' x 5' x 18mm. I paid $140 per for their last bit. This was wholesale pricing. There is none available now from my distributors.
And domestic birch ply is crap...

Call a marine ply supplier. You can find some good ply there, possibly. No voids allowed in structural marine grade plywood.

Boulter Plywood has Baltic Birch 1/8" (6-ply) and 1/4" (12-ply) in their inventory. I just contacted them. It comes in 4'x4' and 5'x5' sheets. Last I checked their plywood comes from Finland. I received some 1/8" just the other month. Nice stuff.

The price is not for the faint of heart. But it's worth it.

Given that I am just starting out in mid-power rockets, and am not sure how many I will be building (have no plans for level 1 certification, etc), big sheets of plywood just doesn't seem justifiable.

Ugh. I didn't want to have to use basswood.

Given that I am just starting out in mid-power rockets, and am not sure how many I will be building (have no plans for level 1 certification, etc), big sheets of plywood just doesn't seem justifiable.

Ugh. I didn't want to have to use basswood.

I know the feeling. You may find some at Menards. I have seen it at my local Menards. And the "Do It Best" hardware store chain will carry it. Again, my local one carries it. If you have these chains in your town -give a look.

Call a marine ply supplier. You can find some good ply there, possibly. No voids allowed in structural marine grade plywood.

Good idea, but they are all selling huge sheets, which isn't exactly what I am looking for. I found a second place to ask about current stock levels, so now its a waiting game to see if anyone actually responds to emails.

Good idea, but they are all selling huge sheets, which isn't exactly what I am looking for. I found a second place to ask about current stock levels, so now its a waiting game to see if anyone actually responds to emails.
I should have explained better. They have kiosks, small display racks for the hobbycraft plywood. The plywood will be 12x24 and smaller in size.

Bill the link I posted, if it is listed on their site they have it in stock, when they are out you cannot order it. I used them for many years.

I found this business, and they do have 1/8" ply, though they are limiting quantities sold per customer. Bought enough to last me a while (6-10 rockets worth probably).

https://woodnshop.net/baltic-birch-plywood/

I checked with National Balsa, and the shipping cost was way more than the other company ($40 vs $24).

I am asking if anyone knows of a source of 1/8" thick 12 x 24" plywood. NOT lite plywood. And actually in stock now, not backordered...

I ordered some from SIG 2+ weeks ago, and they said that it was backordered but should be available in a week. I talked to them today and it is still on backorder. Doing some searching online and in my Hobby Lobby local store, nobody seems to have it. Worst case I can order some Midwest brand from Hobby Lobby online, but I'd rather get it elsewhere if possible (I prefer to support smaller businesses when I can).
[

I buy Baltic Burch from Wood Craft.

I needed some laser cutting done for a custom project (non rocket related) and one of our amazing rocket vendors was happy to oblige. I ordered 1/64" and 1/32" 2x4 sheets off of amazon and had them shipped to LOC. No issues. Click 'n Ship. Quick, too!

How much do you need? I have a 4'x8' sheet on the way that i could cut and send some to you. It's a custom "build" geared for laser cutting; 3ply, birch veneers, basswood core, and a different kind of glue that cuts easier. I can send you some pictures once i get it in ( a week or so ) if you're interested.

Chad,
I needed basically a 12" x 12" square for the current rocket project, plus some extra for future projects. I ended up ordering a bit more than I think I will need, as I am just getting started on mid-power rockets and so don't really know how many I will end up building. I don't plan to do level 1 certification, etc.

Since I have already ordered it, hopefully they will ship it soon - I did email them to confirm they actually had the plywood in stock first. Thank you for the offer though - I appreciate it.

Back