‘Stunning’: James Webb telescope provides new view of Uranus

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you do (or did)?

My wife and I are both communications consultants. So we are basically writers who work from home as independent contractors, doing communications projects for corporate clients. A lot of these projects are planned well in advance, so we can arrange things so we have time between them, or we can crank out a lot of work in advance and and have big blocks of time for travel or other things. This year, our main client had a long maternity leave, so we finished all work planned through August by May and had about 3 months off. So we’re not retired, but we have a lot of flexibility.

Most of our projects are related to communicating to employees about the employee benefits programs offered by their employer. So for example, a company might hire us to write the emails they send to their employees about their healthcare, vision, or dental plans. We help educate employees about how to get the most out of their employee benefits. We write and design content for their benefits websites. We handle their emails, letters, flyers, and websites for their Open Enrollment period, which is when employees are making decisions about their benefits. We work with graphic designers and video producers to make professional print pieces and videos. We help promote wellness programs, like physical activity contests.

It’s not the most exciting subject matter, but it still takes a certain amount of creativity, and sometimes my wife will ask me, “Where did you get the idea for that one? Did you get it from Uranus?” Which reminds me, are we getting off topic? Aren’t we supposed to talking about the solar system‘s heinous stink portal?

NASA's Uranus probe is only in the mission concept stage and wouldn't launch until at least sometime in the 2030s.
I wonder if they would have an auditory sensor to send back the sounds of Uranus?
BRAP!
BRAP! BRAP!

Maybe they can solve the mystery of the gaseous emissions.

I was retired and then stupidly agreed to come back to work. Now it seems like I'm going to work until I die.
Gotta start training some kids to take over for me so I can retire again.
My office tried that to me. I had a laugh and sternly said no. They’ve left me alone now for three years. I think I’m safe.

I’m suspicious as well. I think they recorded electromagnetic noise and transposed down the frequencies to audible frequencies. I think if they actually probed Uranus they would find much more organic sounds.
That's how that one track of Io was made. EM freq turned into music.

According to the Tweet, it’s supposed to be a NASA 3D render representing a simulation of a black hole. Or maybe it’s Uranus. Both explanations face skepticism!
It's a portal behind which is all the dark matter that scientists have been searching for but were unable to find so far.
Don't release the dark matter!

All the technology in the known universe, and we use it to make pictures of butts.

God help us.
Don’t forget that we invented the largest and most complex machine* ever and then used it to send GIFs of cats dancing, I love humans.

*save for the human brain but that actually makes it worse.

Back