‘Stunning’: James Webb telescope provides new view of Uranus

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We’ve been mispronouncing it for years. The Greeks say oo-RA-noos. (oo as in who) The emphasis is on the second syllable. The American YER-anus is totally incorrect, as is the politically correct YER-in-us. (How you get a ye sound from a u is beyond me) I was always taught you-RAIN-us, which is also incorrect.

The Three Stooges prove it with:
B A bay,
B E bee,
B I bickey bie,
B O boe,
bickey by boe B U bue,
bickey bie boe bue.

We’ve been mispronouncing it for years. The Greeks say oo-RA-noos. (oo as in who) The emphasis is on the second syllable. The American YER-anus is totally incorrect, as is the politically correct YER-in-us. (How you get a ye sound from a u is beyond me) I was always taught you-RAIN-us, which is also incorrect.

The Three Stooges prove it with:
B A bay,
B E bee,
B I bickey bie,
B O boe,
bickey by boe B U bue,
bickey bie boe bue.

Have you ever heard anyone say yer-IN-us?

We’ve been mispronouncing it for years. The Greeks say oo-RA-noos.
English isn't Greek. Words commonly change pronunciation when they are adopted into another language. English "pudding" becomes "poo-deen" in Japanese. "Poo-deen" isn't mispronounced English, it's correctly pronounced Japanese.

English isn't Greek. Words commonly change pronunciation when they are adopted into another language. English "pudding" becomes "poo-deen" in Japanese. "Poo-deen" isn't mispronounced English, it's correctly pronounced Japanese.
And the best poo-deen is from Uranus.

Here is a chart of the symbols for solar system objects. I’m obviously no artist, but I added my own proposed symbol for Uranus next to the original. And I also added a proposed symbol for the moon below the original — I think it better captures the concept of the full moon.

IMG_0675.jpeg

It's childish disrespect, that's all, and it should be beneath us.

I for one want to wipe this whole thread.

I agree, Uranus gets way too much exposure. I’m not sure why we keep elevating Uranus, butt it’s as if each time Uranus comes up, we can’t help ourselves. We have a strange, unhealthy obsession with Uranus! I wish I could just stop talking about it, so the next time someone mentions Uranus, I’m going to do my best to stick a cork in it.

Back