‘Stunning’: James Webb telescope provides new view of Uranus

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or you could go with the Carl Sagan pronunciation, YER-un-us. I wonder how many astronomers say it that way.

Or you could go with the Carl Sagan pronunciation, YER-un-us. I wonder how many astronomers say it that way.
All the dozens of astronomers and planetary scientists that I know and work with pronounce it, “yoor-uh-nuhs”.

Our old, pre-9/11, badges at JPL had a photo montage of all the planets on it…the joke was that it had both a picture of your face and Uranus on it!
1703268430610.jpeg

Fry: Maybe we could use the smello-scope to smell Uranus!
Everyone: Huh, what?
Farnsworth: I'm sorry Fry, but scientists changed the name of that planet hundreds of years ago because they got tired of that stupid joke.
Fry: What'd they change it to?
Farnsworth: ... Urectum!

I think that's the 2nd or 3rd Episode of Futurama, and I laughed myself sick on that one.

Fry: Maybe we could use the smello-scope to smell Uranus!
Everyone: Huh, what?
Farnsworth: I'm sorry Fry, but scientists changed the name of that planet hundreds of years ago because they got tired of that stupid joke.
Fry: What'd they change it to?
Farnsworth: ... Urectum!

I think that's the 2nd or 3rd Episode of Futurama, and I laughed myself sick on that one.
Thanks for the transcript! :)

Yeah, I saw that episode when it aired and thought it was hi, that's what made me find the clip and post it above. 😆

While the James Webb telescope is amazing, you don’t need to spend $10 billion for an instrument to take a picture of Uranus. From what I’ve seen on the Internet, the camera on your phone will do.

very cool. Hopefully they will point that very expensive telescope at something a little farther away....

thanks for the article!

Because "urinous" is so much better than "your anus". Maybe we should go back to calling it George.

Interesting article about the history of the name.

Question:​

Why did Herschel name his planet Uranus?

shuttle divider

Answer:​

Herschel did not name the planet Uranus, he called it "the Georgium Crinklestar" in honor of King George III of England. The name "Uranus" was first proposed by German astronomer Grundle Bumwinkle in order for it to be more conducive to butt puns. Uranus is the ancient Greek deity of the da booty, the earliest supreme god. This name did not achieve common use until the fifth grade.

Back