Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montaro

Reaction score
Hi

You will note that i'm a newbie, i just brought my first rocket one month ago after 3 launch i decided to build my scale model that can be lunched with LPR engine.

Stage 1
The first step was build the 8K71-PS to learn about the cardstock building technique i used the model from cardmodels-r. i just printed in my B/W Laser. i found wasn't easy for my first time, but i learn alot about cardstock model. (R7PS-V1.0)

Stage 2
so my next step was build the MR-7 from michel urban cardmodels this time was in color, the object was a new decoration for the kids room and to gave me an idea how to modified to use a LPR engine. (MR7-V1.0)

Stage 3
I start using a PVC tube and couple for engine mount i made some rings and body part using a 32lb paper just to give me and idea and create the template but then i was building the rest of the rocket with cardstock. I added a buzzer with microswitch as a audible beacon, because in my first launch was very hard to found the rocket. (MR7-V2.0)

Stage 4
After 2 launch of MR7-V2.0 i used some parts and rebuild a new one with alot of improvements.(MR7-V2.1)

Stage 5
Based in all the information and rocket behavior acquired, i'm back to the desktop to redeisign for the final version...... i hope :D (MR7-V3.0)

I'll continue sharing some picture and videos, all the coments are welcome, but don't be so hard with the silly newbie :roll:

Last edited:
My first cardstock model pictures

Model: 8K71PS
Scale: 1:48
Size: 59 x 21 cm.
Version: 1.0

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Downloaded from:https://www.cardmodels-r.narod.ru

Last edited:
After complete the Stage 1 i changed my mind and i got for a simple rocket Mercury Redstone 7

Model: MR7
Scale: 1:48
Size: 43 x 7.6 cm.
Version: 1.0

Is suppose a 1:49 Scale but i think the officedepot guy printed to fitted to page.
I did this to see how can be modifed to use a LPR Engine. to the small cut was a headache but a good practice, i should buy some dentist tools to do the tiny details

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Last edited:
I used to really enjoy cardstock modeling. If I ever get caught up with the stuff I have to finish, maybe I'll build a couple.

Before to create a realistic model i decied to create a low detail rocke to test before do a lot of work and crash it,
First i start making parachutes base in my hexagonal 12" estes parachute, then created a engine mount using a PVC tube that i found with the exactly size, thinking how can join to the main body a create a cardstock rings and engine body with 32Lb paper because was just for tried, and create the body and desing a ejection baffle. so sudently i was making the payload section and add a small buzzer due my first flight we passed alot of tiem looking for and was very close form us but we was unable to saw it. this time a made it using cardstock, then simulate a mercury capsule that will be use to access the payload bay for the buzzer and altimeter.finally i did the fins using cardstock too. i try my buzzer desing and work o.k. here is some pictures.

Model: MR7
Scale: 1:49
Size: 46 x 10.3 cm. without escape tower
Version: 2.0
Weight: 103 gr with extra in the payload bay for balance

1.JPG
2.JPG

3.JPG
4.JPG

5.JPG
6.JPG

7.JPG
8.JPG

9.JPG
10.JPG

11.JPG
12.JPG

13.JPG
14.JPG

15.JPG
16.JPG

16.JPG

16.JPG

16.JPG

Last edited:
This version wasn't created to fly but i decide try it with a A8-3 Motor even was overweight, i thought i will reduce the speed, i didn't think will be no have time to deploy the parachute :S
Even the test FAILED :D i learn alot and give me more aspects that i has to investigated .

Things to improve
Remove the PVC engine mount
Reinforce the body below of the ejection baffle
and of course use the correct engine base in the MLOW :bangpan:

Here are some pics and a video

18.jpg

A1.gif

A2.gif

[YOUTUBE]o7qHHJLog2I[/YOUTUBE]
19.JPG

Last edited:
After two MR7 V2.0 failure launchs, i use the payload bay and 3 fins to rebiuld a new prototype MR7 V2.1 and tried the next day :D.
Basically i created a cardstock engine mount, create 1 fins and the body with a new ejection baffle with the same configuration but this time i put it closed to the parachute to move the CG and remove some weight.
Rocket info
Length: 44.3 cm
Diameter: 3.8 cm
Weight(Without engine): 69 g
Recovery: 30 cm

The next day i lunched with a B6-4, it flew stable (with some move in the tails See the video) the parachute deployed right, but i was using a 12" parachute so fall to fast, fourtunatelly without damages, when i looked for i found it for my buzzer noise i was 32ft away so i'm very satisfied with the buzzer, it saved me alot of time :D, the parachute was a few burned, but nothing serious.

Everything was great so i add onemore 12" parachute this time i add 1 wedding and flew it with a C6-5, was stable with the same movements of the previous flight the parachute open succesful, but when i found it, the body was blowed and the top part of the baffle was blowed too, i think the problem was the parachute area was to small and everything was to tight so it created a explosion like fireworks.

I think i'm going in the right way (if the expert don't think otherwise), the buzzer proved is a good gadget, i start to understand CP and CG in a practical way. so i think i'm ready to start the the final MR7 with full details

I need help with 2 topics
1.- Is about the tail side movements that you can see in the video, what is that and how can i avoid it ?
2.- The explosion in the parachute bay was because everything was too tight ?

1.JPG

Body Damage in the MR7 V2.0
2.JPG

PVC engine mount in the MR7 V2.0
3.JPG

Body wall reinforced for ejection charge
4.JPG

New cardstock engine mount
5.JPG

6.JPG

almost lose the engine
7.JPG

Body blowed
[YOUTUBE]vBJVfY0HTcA[/YOUTUBE]

Hola Montaro,
Bienvenido! That's very nice detail work on the Russian rocket, too.

There is also a "Cardstock Rocketry" section on the forum. It's a good place to show your work, and there are some experienced paper modelers reading the posts there.

Ciao,
Greg

I'm working on my own mercury redstone plans, but the last week i recived my new Altimeter two, mini DVR, and a bulk pack of motor so i started build a previus version with most of the detail and printed on B/W laser, the image capsule was a copy of Michael Urban version. the rest are my design.

Mercury Redstone V3.0

Skill Level: Medium
Length: 51 Ccm
Diameter: 3.6 cm
Weight:40 g
Recovery:35 cm
Inital Date: 30-Sep-11
Retired Date:
% Succesful launch: 100%
Payload Weight: 29 g (Buzzer, Camera, Mirror , Altimeter)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.JPG

5.JPG

Last edited:
11.jpg

12.JPG

I launched it 3 time and the 3 time was successful

Engine: A8-3
Apogee (m): 21
Speed (Km/h): 67
Burn Time (Seg): 0.3
Peak Acceleration (g): 14.2
Average Acceleration (g): 6.3
Coast to Apogee time (Seg): 1.6
Apogee to Eject time (seg): 0.9
Ejection altitude: 19
Desent Speed: 17
Flight Duration: 7.2

Engine: C6-5
Apogee (m): 113
Speed (Km/h): 173
Burn Time (Seg): 2.1
Peak Acceleration (g): 14.2
Average Acceleration (g): 7
Coast to Apogee time (Seg): 2.9
Apogee to Eject time (seg): 169
Ejection altitude: 108
Desent Speed: 11
Flight Duration: 37.4

Engine: C6-3
Apogee (m): 118
Speed (Km/h): 225
Burn Time (Seg): 2.6
Peak Acceleration (g): 10.6
Average Acceleration (g): 2.5
Coast to Apogee time (Seg): 1.8
Apogee to Eject time (seg): 0.1
Ejection altitude: 116
Desent Speed: 9
Flight Duration: 41.8

Everything was great! i could get alot of good pictures

[YOUTUBE]zCRkPQdasmg[/YOUTUBE]

So now i just have to finish the capsule paint and created the final version !!!

Finally i finish my MR3 detailed and full color :D

• B and C Motors
  • Ejection baffle 3 (2/3 Circle) Type
  • Payload Bay
  • 12V Buzzer with battery in the capsule activate with a microswitch in the payload bay
  • Kevlar Sockcord
  • 12" or 14" Parachute
  • 60 Lb Cardstock Laser printed

The test fligth should be this weekend !

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
Kind sir,

Look to enlarge this rocket. I've used a program called "Click2Poster" that will take 8.25" x 11" paper and make it bigger and converted these paper models into something larger.

There's a similar program called "Tiler" for Apple platforms if you're on that computer.

Enlarging things make it easier to build, more impressive in terms of flights and easier all around, at least in my experience.

Kind sir,

Look to enlarge this rocket. I've used a program called "Click2Poster" that will take 8.25" x 11" paper and make it bigger and converted these paper models into something larger.

There's a similar program called "Tiler" for Apple platforms if you're on that computer.

Enlarging things make it easier to build, more impressive in terms of flights and easier all around, at least in my experience.

This is my first rocket, and you are right is too small and some part was to hard to do it,
but i'm trying to make a 1:48 scale fleet, so if a enlarge this the saturn V and N1 will be huge :D

The next one is the Soyuz, right now i'm working on the display model and the height is around 1 Meter, so the Saturn V will be around 2 Meter

But thanks for the software recommendation, i was looking for a software to enlarge because some plans are 1:96, know i have to think how can i join the pages, because my printer is just for letter. any ideas ?

I have a Mac and Windows which one is better for you ?

Thanks

mini-P1050766.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday i flew my final version, this time the electronic bay is not for onboard video so i add some extra weight, but wasn't enough. the flight was a corkscrewed, but i'm happy i just need to add more weight.

Data Log
Engine: C6-3
Apogee (m): 146
Speed (Km/h): 189
Burn Time (Seg): 2.3
Peak Acceleration (g): 9.0
Average Acceleration (g): 2.4
Coast to Apogee time (Seg): 3.0
Apogee to Eject time (seg): -0.1
Ejection altitude: 131
Desent Speed: 11
Flight Duration: 42.6

[YOUTUBE]tbhWirJDnZg[/YOUTUBE]

mini-19.JPG

This thread rocks! I love the photos! That is some really good work. Very impressive details. Love the slow-mo photos of the launch. Very cool!

I used to really enjoy cardstock modeling. If I ever get caught up with the stuff I have to finish, maybe I'll build a couple.

Build some! I will too. Bring them to Surprise and let's launch them together! :wink: Or I'll come to your other launch side by 101. Either way, we should totally get some fun cardstock stuff going! I think I might stick to MMX though. I can't really see myself building a larger paper rocket and strapping something like an A or larger to it. ::shrugs:: :tongue:

Are there any links for Mercury Redstone cardstock plans available other then the one listed in the beginning of this thread?

Back