Shock cord change out

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsbhunter

Reaction score
Finished my Mad Cow DX3 2.6" build..the kevlar shock cord that came with the kit is about 4' long...after researching , I've come to believe I need a longer one. I've ordered 12' long 1/4" one, and wondering if I should use the full length? Also, is there a length I should attatch the chute below the nose cone to keep the cone from bouncing off the body tube on the way down? Newbie to mpr, alot more attention to the process than lpr! Thanks for any help or advice, rsbhunter

Thank you...there seems to be alot of wiggle room on this subject...I will go with those #'s...starting to get closer to a possible launch! rsbhunter

Read the info in the link, ALOT of good info ....right now I'm at a single deploy stage, I can see where a dd rocket could really use the set up described. If I ever get into dd,I will definitely follow these instructions...thanks for the info...rsbhunter

Read the info in the link, ALOT of good info ....right now I'm at a single deploy stage, I can see where a dd rocket could really use the set up described. If I ever get into dd,I will definitely follow these instructions...thanks for the info...rsbhunter
For what it's worth, I've muddled over this very thing for quite a while and experimented with various set ups. I apply the same reasoning to both LPR and MPR recovery deployments.

I start at the nose cone and work my way towards the rocket. Typically, with LPR the nose cone is attached at the same or close to the chute attachment. I apply this to MPR but add around a foot of extra lead for the nose cone. Where I launch there is almost always a good breeze ready to carry your rocket into the hungry trees and brush. Given this, the chute close to the nose cone becomes a drogue and I move down the shock cord a few feet and add a tether of a couple feet to which my main chute attaches. Main chute is released with a jolly logic. The distance of the main chute attachment to the top of the rocket is around 2x the rocket length.
Example: 46" F-class motor rocket around 24 oz RTL. Drogue and nose cone are around 10-11 ft from top of rocket when shock cord stretched out. Attachment point of main chute tether is around the midpoint. At apogee or engine deployment ignition, the nose cone goes sailing away from the rocket with the drogue following closely behind. There is usually enough "push" from the deployment charge to get everything out of the tube. Drogue quickly inflates and a long string with a dangly thing in the middle leads down to the rocket.
Not sure if that makes sense but the reasoning is to make sure the lines and distances are great enough to avoid tangling. Technically, for MPR, this is dual deploy - as far as I know and from what I've been told.
This setup works perfectly in my situation. I even added an Eggtimer Apogee for deployment and altimeter. Lots of stuff for a MPR but it works great. Besides, it provides a lot of trial-and-error experimenting for HPR.

Looking back up at the other replies, Titan II's #s fit the bill just right! LOL

Back