Aerotech RMS R/C Reloads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Reaction score
I was looking at some of my plans I have for my Space Shuttle that I am gonna build and I wondered if you could use a "normal" 24mm RMS case instead of a 24mm R/C case?

thanx, Ben

No :( they are defrent lengths a "normal" 24mm is 2.69" in length and a 24mm RC casing is 2.75" in length.

(my 100th post :D)

I don't believe those dimensions.

I am looking at a regular and RC 24mm case and except for the delay well protrusion on the regular case, they are the same length. Which makes sense as the RC reloads are basically the same except that there is no delay.

If you built the rocket without a thrust ring or the thrust ring's inside diameter is large enough to let the delay well through, it will fit just fine.

they are correct what i forgot to say was discluding the closures

Originally posted by UhClem
I don't believe those dimensions.

I am looking at a regular and RC 24mm case and except for the delay well protrusion on the regular case, they are the same length. Which makes sense as the RC reloads are basically the same except that there is no delay.

If you built the rocket without a thrust ring or the thrust ring's inside diameter is large enough to let the delay well through, it will fit just fine.

So I should be able to use these reloads without any trouble in a normal 24mm RMS case. I don't need to make any type of block or filler for the delay element?

thanx, Ben

You cannot use the 24mm RC reloads in the standard 24mm RMS case.

You are missing the forward insulator and o-ring required to seal the closure. You are also missing the delay column and o-ring required to seal the delay cavity. Without them you will end up thrusting from both ends. If you have the RC reloads you should also have the RC case. Unless you were foolish enough to purchase the reloads and not a case.

Don't kid yourself that because it is an end burner that nothing can come out the front until the propellant is consumed. The propellant isn't bonded to the case and the tiny space between the propellant grain and insulator and insulator and case is more than sufficient to provide a path to the forward closure.

There is a reason why putting a 24mm RC reload into anything but the 24mm RC case results in an uncertified motor.

This started as a question about using the regular 24mm reloadable motors instead of the RC versions. How have we devolved into putting RC reloads into regular cases?

sorry if my question was unclear. I was asking can I use R/C reloads in the "normal" case so I had to only buy 2 instead of 3 R/C cases :( oh well looks like 3 it is :)

thanx, Ben

you have to buy the R/C case to use the R/C reloads. And these motors are extremely long burn, very low thrust and have no ejection charge. If you were going to use them in a regular rocket, forget about it. ;)

I will use them in my shuttle where I want no ejection or I will use Radio Controlled or timer ejection but it should/will ( ;) :p ) land on wheels if all goes as planned

thanx, Ben

Back