Newbie to TRF

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmhiii

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself to everybody. I am a rocketeer getting back into game after a lay off from my grade school days. I started again about 5 or 6 years ago, took a few years off, and now have jumped back in with both feet.

I started with the Estes E2X stuff and still appreciate their kits. I then built my first balsa fin model, the Estes Sizzler. Did a metallic red and blue paint job, it was great. Unfortunately I didn't have a digcam back then and the Sizzler sizzled at the top of a dreaded rocket eating tree.

I've done a Big Bertha (hasn't flown yet) and am in the middle of an Estes Black Brant. I am documenting the build with a few pics which I will post later.

This is a great forum!! Everybody is nice and the experienced people do not look down at us newcomers. Thanks!!!

Here's a pic of part of my fleet.

TRF, I've found a home!!

bmhiii

bmhiii,

Welcome aboard!

That's nice little fleet you've got going. Nice stands too!

I can see that you have a long road ahead of you; one that none of us will ever see an end to. :D

I am by no means one of the "veterans" of the boards, just another happy member. You will further appreciate the people here once you've posted a question which you might feel trivial, yet get 5 different answers for! I like to tell outsiders that you could even discuss an Estes Mosquito here without catching flak.

One of the most common themes associated with posting updates about a project or a good experience on a rocketry outing is PICTURES! Feel free to post pictures! We love pictures!

Attached to this message is a picture of the rocket that got me back into the hobby. After my return from 4 years in the Air Force, I found this under my bed covered in dust and with 3 snapped fins. I felt terrible about throwing it away, so I decided I'd refurbish it and fly it a few times. Little did I know, there was a deep hook inbedded in that rocket that snagged me back into the hobby for good.

Enjoy!

welcome aboard!

You'll find the forums great, the pictures even better and the folks second to none.

have fun...

... 'we've got you NOW, my pretty! and your little rocket too!'...:D

Welcome back to the sport and to TRF! The more the merrier :)

And you picked up on the fact that many members here demand pictures, especially from a newbie :D I think you will fit in just fine...

BMI,

A BIG welcome to The Rocketry Forum!!! You have obviously caught on fast as you have one great pic of your fleet, minus the few you listed in another post...looking great so far! ;)

Hope you have an enjoyable re-entry into the hobby and a great time here! :)

Carl

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

I've been reading everything on this forum for the past few weeks and am impressed as I could be. I posted a question about balsa fins and got some great tips fast.

I've added a few more pics of my other rockets that aren't in the fleet pic posted previously. Check out the high tech holders for the Mean Machine!

I just figured out I can't post multiple pics to one reply. Or I don't know how. So I'll reply with the extra pics.

Future plans:
1) Black Brant 2 in progress (ready to paint)
2) Mean Machine in progress (middle of painting)
3) Repairing Longshot from lawn dart status. 2 tries at staging, no successes yet.
4) Mongoose, Fat Boy, Big Daddy, Super Big Bertha, Honest John still in the boxes/bags. (I caught Hobby Lobby doing an 80% off sale!!!)
5) And finally.... I have an Aerotech Tomahawk in the box!

I've been doing lots of research on the most of the above kits and will do more as I begin to start them. I think I'll be busy for a while!

Thanks everybody!!

bmhiii

I wanted to post evidence that I actually have a Mosquito. According to most posts, I don't need more than one motor for this baby.

Let's hope I can post a pic of it after it's first flight!

bmhiii

Now a pic of my Twister. My wife found some Estes range boxes in garage sales for a buck. I got two launchers, two launch pads, a Mosquito, a Twister, a Viking, and another rocket in the deal.

My wife wants to finish this Twister with paint speckles (sp?). Very cool she wants to get involed more. She does go launch with me and tries to take pics. We are stuggling with the timing of take off pics. However, I do think we will get digcam movies soon.

bmhiii

The afore mentioned Longshot. It's been shortened by a third, I'm a little worried about stability now. Haven't decided what to do...

bmhiii

bmhii,

There is no way to attach multiple pictures to one post, the forum software doesn't allow it. There are two ways around this limitation:

1. What you just did. :)
2. Find a image hosting site (or provide your own server) and provide links to the pictures in your post.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome!.......NO, I mean WELCOME!...come on in!

We seem to have developed a motto here in the forum:

"Pay it forward."

If ya need to know somethin'...just ask!

If you know somethin' that you think we should know...tell us!

All info...about rockets...is welcome.

All questions...about rockets...are welcome.

ALL PICTURES ARE WELCOME!!!

sandman

P. S. PLease, bad stuff...about anythig...is NOT welcome!

Originally posted by sandman
P. S. PLease, bad stuff...about anythig...is NOT welcome!

Well you can tell us about your bad rocket experiences. ;) :D It is better to learn from other's mistakes than to learn from your own. :)

Milo, you mean like using too big a chute in your rocket and loosing it, with a casing, to a bunch of trees? :( :mad:

Alas, my L1 rocket, the Mini Mojo Fatboy, is no more. You never get over your first love :(

Welcome, just a bit of advice I found useful when I joined.

"You can learn from people and they can learn from you."

Here's my Mosquito.

Back