Help Needed getting VCT to work on Windows 11

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelyEyed

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings,
I've been out of rocketry for 6 years and am getting back to the hobby. Replaced my computer multiple times since then. I used to use VCT to make fin alignment guides and loved that feature. Starting from the 2019 post on TRF, I attempted to install form the zip file. I get a security warning from windows11 identifying the install routine as un-trusted software and it prevents loading. It gives me the opportunity to install anyway. In doing so, it appears to fully install, but then has a "missing" file message that shows up and the fin alignment guide feature will not run. Looking for advice.

Best regards,
Bret Simpkins

Last edited:
Greetings,
I've been out of rocketry for 6 years and am getting back to the hobby. Replaced my computer multiple times since then. I used to use VCT to make fin alignment guides and loved that feature. Starting from the 2019 post on TRF, I attempted to install form the zip file. I get a security warning from windows11 identifying the install routine as un-trusted software and it prevents loading. It gives me the opportunity to install anyway. In doing so, it appears to fully install, but then has a "missing" file message that shows up and the fin alignment guide feature will not run. Looking for advice.

Best regards,
Bret Simpkins
It's not just a windows 11 thing. I get it with 10, also. It removes important operating files from programs.

Gary the softwares writer is a forum member and was last seen here on TRF last friday, his username is vcp....@vcp

Right click on the exe file and select properties. Go to compatibility tab. On that tab look for compatibility mode and select windows xp in the drop down and make sure the run this program in compatibility mode is selected. Been running it on windows 11 ever since it came out with no problems

All the recommendations for alternative software (or physical jigs) do not work in this case. These tools are for 3 or 4 fins (or other number of equidistant fin sets). My designs often have non-standard fin placements.

All the recommendations for alternative software (or physical jigs) do not work in this case. These tools are for 3 or 4 fins (or other number of equidistant fin sets). My designs often have non-standard fin placements.
Thanks Scott… my last post came in after yours. I will give that a try.

It's not just a windows 11 thing. I get it with 10, also. It removes important operating files from programs.
Install as administrator.
If you are both user and administrator, right click on the program, select "install as administrator, approve any warnings ( if you are happy that the software is ok)
First method will allow you to install for ALL users.
2nd method will install for ONLY the user logged on at time of install.
And what Scott said too.....

Could you post the exact name of the file that Windows says is missing?

I'm guessing something dot DLL. What's the something part?

Thanks all. I got it working. Uninstalled previous attempt, reinstalled, and followed Scott’s directions:

“Right click on the exe file and select properties. Go to compatibility tab. On that tab look for compatibility mode and select windows xp in the drop down and make sure the run this program in compatibility mode is selected.”

I printed the fin alignment guide for my Aether Breather project, spray mounted the guide to foam board and cut out the tube and fin slots. It is ready to go.

Last edited:
No worries Gary. Thanks for chiming in. Your VCT app has been an enduring gift to 1000s of rocketeers for many years. THANK YOU!
I design unique rockets, typically not 3/4FNC fin spacing. VCT has been my friend for many years (more than I care to remember). The issue I had was with Microsoft, not VCT.

Back