It's Friday night - so what's your drink?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You and OneBadHawk (Ted) need to come here. I use to run a pub, well 2 here in the UK. Once I did nothing but drink the black stuff, 12 pints a night +. Draft is so much better than can. Plus the stuff this side tastes better. I'll have to post some to you.

Agreed that draft is much better. Interrogating the can it looks like mine has indeed traveled from Dublin to my glass. I hope to one day get a proper pint poured in country, but for now this will have to do. The draft can/widget is definately better than the standard can. My favorite beer is Belhaven Scottish Ale I use to only be able to get it in a bottle, but recently I found it in the draft can, not as good as on tap, but good.

I promise. If/when I get over there, I'll let you show me what I'm missing.

I went out for dinner tonight so it was iced tea ....... with lemon.

Iced tea for me too. With lemon, sweetened with Splenda.

I've had less than 2 gallons of alcoholic beverages in my life, on certain social occasions. No prude, just do not care for it and cannot stand to be around drunk people.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
I'm traveling right now and am in the Seattle are. Had a late lunch at a place called Local 360 where every ingredient used in the restaurant is sourced within 360 miles. It's the kind of place that likes to "curate the herbs." I had a Maple Manhattan made with a local Bourbon-style sour mash (I'd say it's not really Bourbon, because it's not from Kentucky), a maple extract, some bitters made at the restaurant, and a local cherry garnish. It was great!

Had dinner at Cutters not far from Pikes market, and had an Old Fashioned. It was really good! I don't order them often, but this one was nice. It had a spherical ice cube the size of a softball. (I know it's not a cube if it's spherical, but what would you call it? An ice ball? It doesn't sound right to have an ice ball in your drink.)

And just now I finished a Makers on the rocks from my hotel bar in Marysville. I ordered two Manhattans from two different bartenders over the previous two nights here and neither one was right. Last night I asked the bartender how she made it, and she said she found the key was to shake it really hard and long so it has a lot of little ice flakes in it (wrong!) and to add some of the maraschino cherry syrup to sweeten it up (wrong!). I'm not ordering a cherry slushy here! Anyway, I didn't bother to make an issue of it and just got the Makers on the rocks today. No complaints.

Sorry about the lack of pics, but I didn't realize we would be sharing...

I want to know more about the clock behind the bottle.

Sure! It's an Adafruit Ice Tube Clock Kit: https://learn.adafruit.com/ice-tube-clock-kit/

You can can get one here: https://www.adafruit.com/products/194 but it looks like they are currently back-ordered
MakerShed also stocks them: https://www.makershed.com/products/ice-tube-clock-kit

Runs about $85 now. Price seems to keep going up as the display gets harder to source. Its a fun project. It's maybe a bit more complicated than an eggtimer kit. Not really harder, just a few more parts, and the vacuum florescent display is a bit tricksy. Also - there are some high voltage bit (you're building a boost converter to step up to the voltage needed to drive the vfd) but it's well documented. I soldered mine together in a few hours one Saturday afternoon.

You and OneBadHawk (Ted) need to come here. I use to run a pub, well 2 here in the UK. Once I did nothing but drink the black stuff, 12 pints a night +. Draft is so much better than can. Plus the stuff this side tastes better. I'll have to post some to you.

Oh man...
You guys are killin me...
I love a creamy Guinness ...
Goes down like chocolate milk when I was a kid......
Once you bring one up it's hard to stop....
I'm sorry Pete,,, your gonna kill me for this,,
it's got to be cold..................
OK,,, there,,, I said it,,, I can't drink it room temp......

Wow,,
It feels great to get that off my chest.......

I hope your still speaking to me Pete.....

I'm really trying to lose weight anyways......
I'm not supposed to be drinking that stuff.......

Teddy

Captain (Morgan) and diet Coke ~ not because I'm watching my figure, that's long gone ... I like the taste of diet Coke!

Hendricks Gin and Schweppes Dry Lemon.

Learned to drink these on safari
Have to import the dry lemon....for some reason Schweppes doesn't bring the dry lemon to the US.

Back