Deep Space Offl (was: My L1 build has an OFFL finish...)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PLA is certainly a bit hard to sand!

My most ambitious finishing project used a thinned bondo to fill the little grooves, and then was sanded. It seemed easier than sanding the grooves directly.

Helmet_under_assembly_display_large_preview_featured.jpg
Helmet_Red_display_large_preview_featured.jpg

The cone looks great! Can't wait to see the finished rocket :)

PLA is certainly a bit hard to sand!

My most ambitious finishing project used a thinned bondo to fill the little grooves, and then was sanded. It seemed easier than sanding the grooves directly.

Helmet_under_assembly_display_large_preview_featured.jpg
Helmet_Red_display_large_preview_featured.jpg

The cone looks great! Can't wait to see the finished rocket :)

I hope you know that PLA is completely ineffective at shielding you from the powers of Doctor Xavier.

No, as much as it bugs me, I'm going to have to leave it alone, and try to resolve it with the MK 2 version of it. I discovered that my alignment guide is out of alignment, and all three fins are askew slightly, since they are epoxied in place, I'll have to leave them alone.

Sheridan... unfortunately, no. I've got homework already for this term, and I'm finishing up the incompletes that are hanging over my head.
When are you flying?

Binder Design makes great kits ... rock solid. Presently building his California Kid.

Binder Design makes great kits ... rock solid. Presently building his California Kid.
You bet! I did my L2 with an Excel Plus and he also made a fantastic commemorative kit for NXRS, our big launch of the year. Plan to do build a fully-glassed Lightning Bolt this winter... ;)

I'm very pleased with the Binder Design. I've built one kit (2.6" Dragonfly) and this scratchbuild using his bodytube. Excellent customer service!

:cheers:

Ok, I'm tired of this... I tried to present my rocket at the last OROC meeting, and the results were just.... OFFL.

Here we go... It's not finished yet, but I'm sure that there are going to be a few comments.

THIS is how you handle those annoying Mosquitos!

Last edited:
Ha ha! That's great! Does it work against Mega Mosquitos?

It looks really good in the picture, but I can't read the details of the label, and I know there are some things in there I'd appreciate.

And I was thinking it was a upscale of a rocket . Very cool ,Mark did some vinyl .

Of COURSE it handles Mega-Mosquitos (including those that carry Western Spiral Arm Virus)... and a lot of things I betcha didn't see coming...

Here's another teaser...

Offl Teaser.jpg

Last edited:
I'll bet you have the only rocket in the world the RSO has to read before he even gets to the Cg/Cp question...if he can stop laffing long enuff. I'm dying to read the label myself!

Ok I found that the photos don't do it justice, so I'll have to resort to the OR simulation (which didn't save quite right)...

OFFl flew three times today...

Aerotech G67R-M Redline for the first flight. Straight smoke, close landing
Aerotech H178DM-14A Metalstorm DM for my first attempt at L1 (fail)(started 3 small grass fires, OFFL's nosecone was damaged upon landing)
Aerotech I357T-14A Blue Thunder for my successful L1 certification. (OFFL's nosecone is now sporting a wonderful new look (Union Jack) courtesy of Rob Appleton) Certified by Wilson Alness.

Took 2nd place for the design/paint contest at the launch.

More later... I've been up since 6am today (and 5 hours of sleep getting ready for today's flights).

Nutz... I can't edit my old posts...
I was just going to sneak a link into one of them so I can find the photos a little easier... But NO.... I have to go and make a new post to do it. ;)

Sorry... nothing new to see here.

Ya know... I was watching the 2nd and 3rd launch videos of it, and I noted that the chrome Trim MonoKote I used created a nice little flash as the rocket descended. In the 3rd launch, you can hear Rob (the British voice in the videos) say that he thought it was the Union Jack duct tape glistening.

IIRC it was just a band of MonoKote about 1/2" wide located on the nosecone's shoulder. I added the MonoKote to help sell the idea that this was a real product in a real (metal) can. There was also a 1/8" wide (exposed) strip above and below the black decal Stickershock did for me.

I think I'll add the trim to the shoulders of for all my HPR rocket nosecone's shoulders, as it's a lightweight way of possibly helping me spot the rocket on the descent.

Still thinking of upscaling this one to 5.5" or 7.5" for fun. Thatsxas long as I still have your permission to have Mark make a wrap for me.

Still thinking of upscaling this one to 5.5" or 7.5" for fun. That's as long as I still have your permission to have Mark make a wrap for me.

Please... GO FOR IT!!! I'd love to remake it and do an upscale myself.

If you do... here's a tip on the MonoKote wrapped band (the bottom of the "can"). Cut your strip wider than the band (about 1.75 times wider (definitely not any wider than 2 times wider)). Apply it to the band, and make slices in the overlap to help it wrap around the top and bottom of the band. Lay the upper sections first, then the lower sections. Make sure that you keep the lower sections oriented down when you slide it into place. This will help keep the MonoKote from peeling up and give you a better overall effect.

My band was just a small strip of the body tube that I cut from the remains of the unused section of body tube I had bought to make it. To make it fit, I cut the strip so I could open it around the body tube, and then glued a small piece of body tube into the gap that was created. It was a PITA, but I loved the results.

Also make sure that you get the fins on straight. Mine are not quite 120° apart (I think one of the fins slid slightly, unnoticed, as the epoxy was curing). That was the last time I built a rocket without using a fin guide as the glue cured.

Last edited:
Found this image of Deep Space OFFL someone made for me... (I'm sorry I forget who did it... It's IMHO AWESOME!!!). It brought a seriously long smile to my face...

1636682022330.png

Back