Altitude prediction?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Aside from computerized simulators, is there an easy to predict altitude based on impulse and weight? I'm not talking perfect--just ballpark.

A guy at URRF who had just bought a Leviathan and an H133 motor for his Level 1 cert asked me, "With this motor, how high will it go?"

Of course, out on the field with no computer, I told him to look at the package, see what it tells you for a G80, then extrapolate for an H133 (given the known total impulse for both).

Anyone know of an easier way? Be nice if there was a web site with a table that lists common total impulses by rocket weight and a resulting rough avg. altitude.

As a SWAG, going up an impulse doubles altitude.

For example, if a rocket flew 2,000' on a 50% H, you can reasonable expect 4,000' from a 50% I.

If you want more granular than that, look at the ratio of the impulses in Ns. Moving from a CTI J244 (867 Ns, a 68% J) to a CTI K660 (2437 Ns, a 95% K) would give 2437/867=2.81 x the altitude.

Roughly. Mach influences or excess drag from a rough finish not factored in. :)

All the best, James

<edit> PS: Ha. I see from the OP you were aware of this already. In this case, based on purely weight and impulse, I am no help.

Last edited:
Get Smart Launch app for iPhone.

A good program but not exactly what the OP is looking for.

If someone doesn't point you in the right direction, you could put together a graph to show published info and data you can generate when you're at a computer. It may not be comprehensive but you could carry some info to describe approximate ranges.

So, did the impulsive flyer get his L1? Good suggestion to extrapolate; did he understand what you meant? :confused:

https://www.thrustcurve.org/

Put in the basics - rocket diameter, weight, and MMT size. It gives you a table of altitudes and delay times. You can access it with a smartphone as long as you have cell signal at the launch site

There's a few smartphone apps that'll ballpark it. With the availability of phones at launches, it's really the way to go....and they already exist.

There's a few smartphone apps that'll ballpark it. With the availability of phones at launches, it's really the way to go....and they already exist.

I know I'm silly, but I don't have a smart phone. But I like the thrust curve thing. I could print out a spreadsheet for each of my rockets.

Or you could model each of them In openrocket and run the sims...what is the objection to this approach?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Be nice if there was a web site with a table that lists common total impulses by rocket weight and a resulting rough avg. altitude.
At first, I thought "no way" because you know nothing about drag from this info. But, you could run sims for a generic rocket (20:1 L:D, 3FNC) and see what the range of variation is; perhaps you could come up with a reasonable approximation for sub-sonic flights.

The Madcow app (no longer available) was not bad in giving a rough estamate of altitude and performance. You entered the rocket diameter and weight, selected aerotech or CTI, and entered the motor diameter. It would pull up a list of motors and listed recommended delays and predicted altitude. For standard 3 fins and a nosecone designs it actually gave a decent estimate much of the time.

Last edited:
The MadCow App is still available, I just checked.

There are currently 7 apps for available for iPhone, including TRF. I started a thread previously listing them. I will try to find and update.

So many rockets, so little time, and money.

You entered the rocket diameter and weight, selected aerotech or CTI, and entered the motor diameter.
With that much info (and data from ThrustCurve.org), you can actually do a quick simulation, which is what the Motor Guide does.

For those interested in this further, I put together an example mash-up accessing the API from JavaScript and wrote up the basics of flight simulation.

However, the best thing would be for this to be part of the regular flight simulators: a new feature that ran a simulation with every motor that fits (possibly narrowed down by manufacturer), since they have a much more complete representation of the rocket and a more sophisticated simulation technique.

Or you could model each of them In openrocket and run the sims...what is the objection to this approach?

If the person has never used simulation software and just wants a rough altitude, that's a lot to ask. Heck, it takes a lot of hours to learn how to correctly simulate a rocket. We're talking relatively quick answer, here.

But to say "Go to thrustcurve.org, click Motor Guide, and fill out the form" is more like what I'm looking for. That's a good enough answer for me. I just didn't know thrustcurve.org could do that.

Aerotech has these nomograms, though personally I find 'em a tad hard to read. I'm considering making some simplifying assumptions and rolling my own.

The MadCow App is still available, I just checked.

There are currently 7 apps for available for iPhone, including TRF. I started a thread previously listing them. I will try to find and update.

So many rockets, so little time, and money.

Still available, but unfortunately it does not work on any modern droid os. It has never been updated. Rocket Motor Guide is good but it was nice to have a program for where there is no online access.

Last edited:
Aerotech has these nomograms, though personally I find 'em a tad hard to read.

Eyes are bleeding.:cry:

Probably better to run a few simulations with each of your rockets and different motors and put the altitudes in a notebook :)

However, would it be possible, given a motor's total impulse and average impulse (no thrust curve) and a rocket weight (including motor), to generate altitudes using a simple equation or simple numerical model?

It could then be easy to generate 3 altitudes. One for a rocket with a reasonable low drag coefficient (high rocket length to fin length ratio), one for a rocket with a high drag coefficient (der red max?) and one in the middle. Then, based on a rocket's weight and a general idea of it's drag coefficient, one could have a basic idea of just how high it will go.

I realise this is still far from what the OP is asking but it made me try to think about the minimal set of parameters you need to estimate the maximum height.

Last edited:
... it made me try to think about the minimal set of parameters you need to estimate the maximum height.
Yeah, that's basically what the ThrustCurve.org Motor Guide is. (There's no reason not to use the full thrust curves, since they're easily available.)

Yeah, that's basically what the ThrustCurve.org Motor Guide is. (There's no reason not to use the full thrust curves, since they're easily available.)

No reason except to have some fun and small programming project on the side.

That is, another one :)

RSOs have charts for estimated apogee for rockets of various weight, airframe diameters, installed total impulse and Cd. An example of an RSO check list and chart package can be found at https://www.tripoliwisconsin.org/launchforum/pdfs/Rso.pdf

Also found at https://www.info-central.org/?article=114

Bob, you beat me to that RSO doc on the Tripoli Wisconsin site. It should cover a large portion of rockets.

Bob

Mark Koelsch

PML has sheets that show how high each of their rockets will fly and the best guess for delay time for various motors. I take printouts to launches. Pick one of their rockets that has a similar mass and diameter to your rocket and you should be close.

I am very curious as to that answer as well ??? If not what happened ??

Oh, sorry for the lack-o answer. No, he had not built the rocket yet. He was curious how high it would go on the motor he bought. And yes, he understood.

I know I'm silly, but I don't have a smart phone. But I like the thrust curve thing. I could print out a spreadsheet for each of my rockets.
No need for a smart phone. iOs rocketry apps will run on an iPod touch also, with no monthly fees. :)

Call me crazy, but I run through the sims BEFORE I plop down a couple hundred bucks for a HPR rocket and motor combo. I would hope that L1 and L2 wannabes are capable of some basic simulations to ensure a safe flight.

The inputs are basic: mass, thrust profile, drag coefficient, frontal area, air density. Solving the equations either in closed form or numerically requires some calculus. The CAD features of RockSim and Open Rocket help you design a rocket but are not needed to predict altitude.

I like Coker's Motor Guide on Thrust Curve.org to get estimates for many motors very quickly. I also like to print out the RockSim results and carry a notebook to the launch.

Several years ago, an old timer parked next to me at a launch chided my use of simulation notes before each of my flights. He gruffly told me "that computer stuff is a bunch of crap. Trial and error is the only way." All my flights that day were perfect. His large, complex project crashed in spectacular fashion due to a poor choice of motor and delay. I smugly said nothing.

Call me crazy, but I run through the sims BEFORE I plop down a couple hundred bucks for a HPR rocket and motor combo. I would hope that L1 and L2 wannabes are capable of some basic simulations to ensure a safe flight.

The inputs are basic: mass, thrust profile, drag coefficient, frontal area, air density. Solving the equations either in closed form or numerically requires some calculus. The CAD features of RockSim and Open Rocket help you design a rocket but are not needed to predict altitude.

I like Coker's Motor Guide on Thrust Curve.org to get estimates for many motors very quickly. I also like to print out the RockSim results and carry a notebook to the launch.

Several years ago, an old timer parked next to me at a launch chided my use of simulation notes before each of my flights. He gruffly told me "that computer stuff is a bunch of crap. Trial and error is the only way." All my flights that day were perfect. His large, complex project crashed in spectacular fashion due to a poor choice of motor and delay. I smugly said nothing.

As someone just getting back into rocketry, I like running the simulations. In the past month, I've ordered a couple kits and already made a spreadsheet of the motors I'd like to use in them. For now, I'm just using OpenRocket, and I know it's not exact, but I'm only selecting motors with a large enough margin of error to be safe. Now I have my list of motors, delays, and projected altitudes ready to go. Just having that at my next launch will help tremendously because I can easily select motors and recoveries that work for that day's conditions. I remember 20 years ago when it was all guesstimating based on similar motors. It wasn't horrible, and a sensible person could figure out what to use. However, I also remember seeing a LOT more close calls, zippered rockets, and crashes back then. A smart man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others, and the wisest man uses every resource available to him...

You could use wRASP32 which is very easy. Just enter the diameter, weight, Cd (usually 0.6) and add a motor. It's pretty close. The motor.eng file it uses for engine data is a text file so you can copy any of the Thrustcurve RASP files into it to add them to your motor selection.

If you have AeroLab, you can export drag profiles and import them into wRASP32 so you get accurate sims past 75% Mach. You don't need that for ball park sims.

Try this link https://tccnar.tripod.com/sims/082_wRASP32_221.zip This link was found on the TCC NAR Competition Primer

Handeman:

Is this the AeroLab of which you speak?:

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Science-CAD/Aerolab.shtml

Any reason you like AeroLab + wRASP instead of RASAero? RASAero will do the Cd profile and flight simulation in one package, and Chuck seems active in keeping the software up to date. I am not buying or selling, just curious.

That's the one.

It isn't so much that I like the Aerolab + wRASP32 as much as I like wRASP32 for quick ballpark sims. Fill in three values, select a motor and sim the flight. You don't have to "build" a model first or load files or anything else. Editing the .eng files is also very easy. Just cut and paste the RASP file from Thrustcurve. If you do an Aerolab drag profile, you can save a model file and then reopen whenever you want to sim a new motor.

BTW, I do have and use RASAero too, and have started using Open Rocket. Those are good when you are working a specific project, but I still prefer wRASP32 for quick sims.

Back