Dont drink the water.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Kehoes23 water thread got me to thinking.
I have a well and a small spring/stream. All (per say) endless natural water supplies.
If I run either the well water or pump water out of the stream and just let it run back into/on the ground,am I wasting water?
I guess its just going back to where it came from. (?)...:confused:

Kehoes23 water thread got me to thinking.
I have a well and a small spring/stream. All (per say) endless natural water supplies.
If I run either the well water or pump water out of the stream and just let it run back into/on the ground,am I wasting water?
I guess its just going back to where it came from. (?)...:confused:

"I guess its just going back to where it came from." NO! Please, please, DON'T pump well water out onto the ground with no purpose! Well water, paleolithic water, has taken a LONG time to get where it is (thousands of years). (paleo="old" lithic="rock"). Additionally, unless you're testing both the ground water (from the stream), and the well water, I would bet money that they're not the same. Here in Central Oklahoma, we have two sources of water in the cities, lake (or reservoir) water and well water. Twice a year, the lake-sources water (and it's *very* obvious where it comes from) tastes really nasty (like muddy fish) because the lakes "turn over" in Spring and Fall due to changing temperature. Well water is no solution either. We sit on top of the Garber-Wellington Aquifer, a bountiful source of water. Except that it's contaminated with arsenic and chromium from natural mineral strata the water runs through. Many of the wells the town of Norman depended on had to be shut down because the levels got too high.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3111/

https://www.ci.norman.ok.us/utilities/wt/water-treatment-arsenic-study

Water doesn't just fall out of the sky! OK, well, maybe it does, but it had to go through somewhere to get to where you are. Along the way, you have no idea what its picked up (unless you frequently test...). And I'm not even going to get into the legal implications of pumping surface water from a running stream (mainly because it's a big mish-mash of federal/state/local laws).

Last edited:
"I guess its just going back to where it came from." NO! Please, please, DON'T pump well water out onto the ground with no purpose! Well water, paleolithic water, has taken a LONG time to get where it is (thousands of years). (paleo="old" lithic="rock"). Additionally, unless you're testing both the ground water (from the stream), and the well water, I would bet money that they're not the same. Here in Central Oklahoma, we have two sources of water in the cities, lake (or reservoir) water and well water. Twice a year, the lake-sources water (and it's *very* obvious where it comes from) tastes really nasty (like muddy fish) because the lakes "turn over" in Spring and Fall due to changing temperature. Well water is no solution either. We sit on top of the Garber-Wellington Aquifer, a bountiful source of water. Except that it's contaminated with arsenic and chromium from natural mineral strata the water runs through. Many of the wells the town of Norman depended on had to be shut down because the levels got too high.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3111/

https://www.ci.norman.ok.us/utilities/wt/water-treatment-arsenic-study

Water doesn't just fall out of the sky! OK, well, maybe it does, but it had to go through somewhere to get to where you are. Along the way, you have no idea what its picked up (unless you frequently test...). And I'm not even going to get into the legal implications of pumping surface water from a running stream (mainly because it's a big mish-mash of federal/state/local laws).
Great Reply!!!!!!

I agree that the two are different. But,I would be interested in just how close they are.
Cuz,the stream/spring I speak of ,begins,starts,comes out of the ground here on my land.In fact,its starts just a few yards from me well, down in a revine.As far as pumping water out of streams,well,up here,its done all the time in the summer. We are in NH and still country.Most of our FDs have hook ups in the local streams to get water for their trucks.

This is why I will equip my house with an industrial Reverse Osmosis water treatment facility, should I ever win the lottery, to make sure my water is at it's best. They aren't really all that expensive to be honest, but I don't own this house. I rely on secondary water filtration for drinking purposes. This will at least take out the funky taste and smell of the city water. My ideal arrangement would be to provide my entire house and pool (if I could afford that) with something like THIS. Granted, this is just an example without a lot of investigation, but it's an option to be considered.

Last edited:
"Don't drink the water and don't water your drink"

This is why I will equip my house with an industrial Reverse Osmosis water treatment facility, should I ever win the lottery, to make sure my water is at it's best. They aren't really all that expensive to be honest, but I don't own this house. I rely on secondary water filtration for drinking purposes. This will at least take out the funky taste and smell of the city water. My ideal arrangement would be to provide my entire house and pool (if I could afford that) with something like THIS. Granted, this is just an example without a lot of investigation, but it's an option to be considered.
Heck,if ya got the coin,look at Ozone purifiers too. We (work) are having two installed in our pool swimming pool systems. we have a 275,000 gal and a 175,000 gal pool. Without going into all the deatils,short of the long,this will save us a bunch on chems and it will get rid of types chloromines and other stuff that "chlorine shocking" wont.
https://www.ozoneworld.com/what-is-ozone/ozone-vs-chlorine.html

That's some good info Dog. I've got a small--well, good sized side project going on and the owner is sold on auto - chorinate. This might just be the ticket to change her mind. Gonna continue to look into this , but I like the prospect.

OK, glad I didn't come across as some kind of environmental wacko. I'm not. I'm very curious about everything. I read a lot, and have often wondered what it takes to keep a "city" going, everything from an arcology like Todos Santos to a city like Anhk-Morpork. There are several things that seem to be critical: clean water, food, energy, transportation - coming in; sewage, solid waste, rain water runoff - going out. The Romans were great engineers, and had a lot of these problems worked out. They were bringing fresh water into the city from hundreds of miles away, and had continuously flushing sewage systems. However, when the aqueducts were destroyed by incoming invaders, the city was doomed.

Oh, and in tonight's news, forget the nightlight, the water might glow in the dark...

Uranium in trailer park well water - https://www.news9.com/story/25208723/new-info-on-shawnee-mobile-home-parks-uranium-tainted-water

Back