PreColored Body Tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRiJoe

Reaction score
Any company make BT-20 models that use pre-colored body tubes?

My experience with colored tubes is they are usually not as strong as the plain brown or white ones.
I haven't seen any colored BT-20 tubing, just brown and white.
Some yellow BT-50 tubes included in a Custom kit were too thin and had wide seams.
The red BT-50 tubes in the Starlight Minute Man kit seemed thinner than the Estes 50 tubes.

The color tubes are about the same wall thickness but I couldn't get a glassine covering which stiffens the tube. I got my tubes from the same supplier as Estes.
Mr. Bob
starlight Dude
(yes I am still here)

I think the "new" tubes are the result of using a different vendor, with a different idea of a glossy top wrap.

Robot Vacuum

Last edited:
One method I've used with my rocketry classes is to purchase some of the self-adhesive paper from the scrapbooking section of the hobby stores, like Michaels, and simply wrapping the tubes. I used some plastic metallic wrap on the rockets for the classes this year, and it worked great. The only important part was to cut off narrow sections of the plastic wrap for where the fins are glued.

Back