Wildman Wild Child / Aero Pack Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
I am starting work on a Wild Child.

I am going to install an Aero Pack RA29P on it.

My question is where should the bottom of the MMT be in relation to the bottom of the airframe, flush, recessed, or extended?

Greg

The MMT needs to extend beyond the rear CR/BT to allow AeroPack MRS to slide over and bond to the exposed end of the MMT.

Use slow cure JB Weld to attach the MRS.

Extended.

I recommend getting the AP onto the motor mount first. That way you can get it to fit exactly tight against the airframe with no gap and no issues with possibly being short. The OD of the Aeropack retainer is the same as the airframe so it blends in perfectly.

Just make sure you don't epoxy the cap of the retainer to the bottom of the airframe. Been there, done that. :tongue: otherwise its a perfect match.

I thought about doing the same thing, the retainer was a really really loose fit on the motor tube due to the OD being different than phenolic tube. I debated swapping tubes to a phenolic but instead skipped the whole thing and friction fit the motors (I'm using electronics for deployment so the pressures are pretty reasonable) instead of using a retainer.

N

I am starting work on a Wild Child.

I am going to install an Aero Pack RA29P on it.

My question is where should the bottom of the MMT be in relation to the bottom of the airframe, flush, recessed, or extended?

Greg

I mounted mine by dry fitting the aeropack, centring ring with the bottom of the thru wall fin, where the cap, was against the airframe.. Then an additional smudge. THen i marked it, and glued in my CR and fins.

that way when i mounted everyhting and foamed it, i just cut off the foam, and epoxyied the aeropack. The additional smudge allows you to tighten the cap against the airframe for some additonal friction to keep it snug when crancked down.

SO... Extend it enough you can tighten the cap down.... better too far than not far enough!

The MMT needs to extend beyond the rear CR/BT to allow AeroPack MRS to slide over and bond to the exposed end of the MMT.

Use slow cure JB Weld to attach the MRS.

Extend. Check.

Extended.

I recommend getting the AP onto the motor mount first. That way you can get it to fit exactly tight against the airframe with no gap and no issues with possibly being short. The OD of the Aeropack retainer is the same as the airframe so it blends in perfectly.

Good idea.

Just make sure you don't epoxy the cap of the retainer to the bottom of the airframe. Been there, done that. :tongue: otherwise its a perfect match.

Yep. That would be "inconvenient".

I thought about doing the same thing, the retainer was a really really loose fit on the motor tube due to the OD being different than phenolic tube. I debated swapping tubes to a phenolic but instead skipped the whole thing and friction fit the motors (I'm using electronics for deployment so the pressures are pretty reasonable) instead of using a retainer.

N

Mine has a little slop, but I still think I can center it with some micro-shims.

I mounted mine by dry fitting the aeropack, centring ring with the bottom of the thru wall fin, where the cap, was against the airframe.. Then an additional smudge. THen i marked it, and glued in my CR and fins.

that way when i mounted everyhting and foamed it, i just cut off the foam, and epoxyied the aeropack. The additional smudge allows you to tighten the cap against the airframe for some additonal friction to keep it snug when crancked down.

SO... Extend it enough you can tighten the cap down.... better too far than not far enough!

Had not thought of that. Sounds like a plan.

Thank you, one and all.

Greg

Back